Sign in with
Your question

Computer broke, need new comp advice

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2006 10:31:08 PM

Basically I have built all my systems for the past 8 years, which is about 4 systems and several systems for friends that have asked me to. I dont think I am great at building them, but it is pretty easy and straight forward and generally saves you a lot of money and time in the long run.

So, lately I have been very unsatisfied with my current system. The system runs very hot at 60C under full load. The usb ports have somehow loosened from the mainboard and I sometimes I have to wiggle the usb ports to get them to properly connect with the mainboard. On top of this, my primary harddrive has just failed. Ok.. so I have problems and they could be fixed relatively cheap by buying some new components and only replace the fault pieces... but I am thinking about going this route...

Opteron 165.............................309.00 from MWave
Asus A8R-MVP..........................103.00 from MWave
Thermalright SI-120 heatsink.....57.00 from Newegg
120 mm fan..............................6.00 from NewEgg
Aspire ATX-AS540W PSU............59.00 from NewEgg
OCZ 2GB(2x1GB) Plat PC3200....236.44 from NewEgg
eVGA 7800 GT...........................299.00 from NewEgg
80 GB WD Caviar Drive..............50.00 from NewEgg
shipping.....................................~25.00

Total..........1144.44

Given the components and the price.. anybody have any suggestions that would improve my system? I do plan on overclocking and I am just within my budget which was 1150... to fit everything in, I went light on the PSU, the mobo, and the HD and I am also reusing an old case.. so ifd you have suggestiosn try to make them fit this price that I have.

Given that info, I do plan on OC'ing a little, since it is basically extra performance for free, which is why I had to choose some quality components such as the memory... I am still unsure about the PSU, but I read decent reviews about it at newegg...
January 13, 2006 11:09:33 PM

Nope, I dont need SLI support in the motherboard.. just need a solid motherboard that will allow me to do a little OC'ing.

I have 2 WD 200GB harddrives that are secondary drives. I will be resuing these, so the 80 gig will just be for the OS and some applications. I cant just partition on the 200's because they contain a lot of movies and music.. err, I mean, they contain a lot of freeware applications.

I do agree that I could use the stock cooling and if at some point I feel I need to upgrade, I can do so then. This will save me about 60 bucks.

I have been getting moxed reviews about the motherboard though.. not sure it is what I need/want

Something I shoudl have mentioned to begin with. I game a lot. So, this will not be for typing up emails or just listening to music, hence the need for the 7800gt
January 14, 2006 8:58:21 AM

get an antec/fortron/w.e
!