Show Desktop Icon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I'm new to XP, and have a minor complaint. I REALLY miss the "Show
Desktop" icon that is on previous versions of Windows. I see where on XP,
you can right click on the taskbar and choose "Show Desktop", but that's an
extra step in the process. Is there a way to get the "Show Desktop" icon on
the XP taskbar?

Thanks in advance.

Perri

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Restore Show Desktop Icon

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

In news:Xns954AC37396DB9pmorgnbellsouthnet@216.77.188.18,
PMorgan <pmorgan.nospam@bellsouth.net> typed:

> I'm new to XP, and have a minor complaint. I REALLY miss the
> "Show
> Desktop" icon that is on previous versions of Windows. I see
> where
> on XP, you can right click on the taskbar and choose "Show
> Desktop",
> but that's an extra step in the process. Is there a way to get
> the
> "Show Desktop" icon on the XP taskbar?

Create a text file in Notepad as follows:

[Shell]

Command=2

IconFile=explorer.exe,3

[Taskbar]

Command=ToggleDesktop

Save it as Show Desktop.scf then drag it to the Quick launch bar.

Also note that you can do the same thing with a keyboard
shortcut: WindowsKey-D or WindowsKey-M

Please reply to the newsgroup

Or just click on this link:

Restore/Add Show Desktop to Quick Launch (Line 61)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I'll give your suggestions a try, and thanks to all who responded. I'm
greatly relieved to discover that there's a work-around for this!