Sign in with
Your question

ATI vs GeForce

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 14, 2006 12:36:12 AM

OK, I wanna go buy a card tomorrow, specifically an ATI.. But I want some people to tell me their opinion on why I should stick with GeForce.

My one bob bitc*in PC game is Conflict: Desert Storm II from:
Desert Storm: Back To Baghdad

My current computer is a basic clone running xp serv pak II with 512 mb ram on a 1.83 AMD processor.. The video card is a GeForce FX 5600 with 256 of Vid RAM. This computer will not run Back To Baghdad.. It always BSOD's and points to the file name of nv_disp.dll.. So when after I tried to tshoot this prob, I'd buy all those stupid reg cleaners and pc diagnose programs to try to get the game to run on this computer.. I'd update all drivers and all that cra* and still it would BSOD. :twisted:

So I have a second computer, another clone pretty much the same dimensions as the first except the processor speed is 2.4 gig.. On this computer I put in an ATI 9200 SE.. This vid card has only 128 meg of vid ram but the conflict game runs great!! NO BSOD'S!! (although slightly sluggish due to the 128 meg vid ram)

Darnit, all I want for post christmas is for my main computer to run this Conflict game.. Tomorrow I wanna buy a new card.. i have about $300 to spend.. If you are a fan of the Conflict series, what vid card do you use, and if not what vid card do you recommend that can handle 3D apps like Conflict?

Thanks all! mb in sd

More about : ati geforce

a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2006 1:26:27 AM

Quote:
OK, I wanna go buy a card tomorrow, specifically an ATI.. But I want some people to tell me their opinion on why I should stick with GeForce.

Umm go with the best you can buy, ATi or nV.

Quote:
On this computer I put in an ATI 9200 SE.. This vid card has only 128 meg of vid ram but the conflict game runs great!! NO BSOD'S!! (although slightly sluggish due to the 128 meg vid ram)

Actually it's sluggish due to the weaker VPU, if the memory were reversed the FX5600 would likely still perform better (outside of the BSODs). What I'm trying to say is something like a 128MB R9800Pro would outperform than FX5600 regardless of memory too.

Quote:
Tomorrow I wanna buy a new card.. i have about $300 to spend.. If you are a fan of the Conflict series, what vid card do you use, and if not what vid card do you recommend that can handle 3D apps like Conflict?

Unfortunately you only have limited options being AGP (PCIe I would recomend the GF7800GT), so basically this matches many other threads about this here's a few quickly;
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/x800xt-agp-pci-ftopict171780.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/X800gto-ftopict171226.html

And the new Sticky from Cleeve;
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&all=1&t=169937&postdays=0&postorder=asc

The conclusion IMO would be get whichever of the following you like X850XT > X800XL = GF6800GT > X800GTO > GF6800GS (only for AGP [PCIe GF6800GS > X800GTO before moding], forget anything less than those.

If you like tweaking and moding the GF6800GS and X800GTO can get a little better performance with some work.

It'd be best if you had an idea of what exactly your options were.
January 14, 2006 1:43:25 AM

well, im personally a fan of nVidia myself... but if a card does everything as well as its meant to (unlike your card right now, with all its crashing and such), brand shouldnt really matter one way or the other in terms of stability... seeing as how you have an agp based motherboard, i looked on http://www.newegg.com, and found an X800XT AIW for only $235, though it is refurbished, but again, refurbished or not, shouldnt really matter too much at all, but heres a link to the card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
Related resources
January 14, 2006 1:45:28 AM

Quote:
On this computer I put in an ATI 9200 SE.. This vid card has only 128 meg of vid ram but the conflict game runs great!! NO BSOD'S!! (although slightly sluggish due to the 128 meg vid ram)

Quote:
Actually it's sluggish due to the weaker VPU, if the memory were reversed the FX5600 would likely still perform better (outside of the BSODs). What I'm trying to say is something like a 128MB R9800Pro would outperform than FX5600 regardless of memory too.

I consider myself semi literate on computers, but what's VPU?

Quote:
It'd be best if you had an idea of what exactly your options were.

I'm only interested in running Conflict: Desert Storm on this, my main computer. I wanna buy a card tomorrow, namely AGP. I want a recomendation.. Here's where I'm going tomorrow: You tell me out of this list, which one you'd buy (I don't care about doom or quake or whatever the newest high powered game out there is.. Just conflict desert storm. This is the store I'm going to:

http://shop4.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqx...

Thanks again!!!
January 14, 2006 2:06:36 AM

If thats the store you insist on going to, and you are only willing to spend $300, I would recommend the BFG 6600GT 128MB here.

Personally, If I were you, I'd get the X800XL from newegg here. Its a better performing card for less.

I have the X800Xl AGP and its a great card.
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2006 3:14:24 AM

Quote:
I consider myself semi literate on computers, but what's VPU?

VPU is VideoProcessingUnit , the generic term (used mainly by 3DLabs, ATi, Matrox). GPU is the nV coined term, which is used by most everyone since then. VPU basically is the chip or core of the GraphicsCard.

Quote:
I'm only interested in running Conflict: Desert Storm on this, my main computer.

Haven't seen many (can't remember any) benchies for that.

Then the best cards for your budget (not including tax etc) is the X800XL @ $299
Next the X850Pro @ $279
eVGA GF6600GT for $189 (not the one already mentioned since it's $60 more and not worth the extra.
the the X700Pro for $199, which may be better for your game if there is any specific architecture advantage for this game (like vertex shader useage, etc).

That's what I'd suggest from Fry's, however I would suggest you look elsewhere as you would get far better deals for cards like the X800GTO and GF6800GS.
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2006 12:19:44 PM

You just recommended a $250 6600GT!?

I agree with Grape, the X850 pro or X800XL from outpost is much better. Both are above a 6800GS AGP in performance(not necessarily for his game though). The thing about outpost is their prices are not very good, but their sale prices can be outstanding. Right now, they have no deals to offer in AGP.

I agree he should look elsewhere. Like buy.com for a new $243 BBA retail box AIWX800XT (after $30 rebate) Click and search for x800xt.
January 14, 2006 2:01:50 PM

THe x800xt aiw is the best deal, great gaming and you get a nice media pc.
With the $60 left in budget you could pick up another 512mb of ram. Thats a big overall upgrade and within budget. With an aiw when your card is outdated for gaming you still have a good media pc.
January 14, 2006 2:20:06 PM

Cool! Thanks for the debate.. Just one last question.. I still think it's better to have 256 meg of vid ram.. Grape sez no..

Somebody edumacate me on that (And the reason why I'm going to Fry's Electronics is because I have a $250 gift card from there.

thanks
January 14, 2006 3:16:52 PM

Well, if you buy a +250$ card you will definiteley be buying a 256MB one.

256 is not worse, it's just that "cheap" (~0-150$) cards w/ 256MB are worse because their memory chips are slower. So cards at that price range are better w/ 128MB because, although it's less, it's faster and the overall performance increases.
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2006 4:23:16 PM

Yeah, I am not going to reread anything, but it's safe to say that Grape did not say 128MB cards are better in general. He is steering you clear of thinking the amount of memory is what is important. It is such a common mistake to think more Ram = better card; it's a marketing trick.

Most of the better agp cards will be 256MB. But when your budget drops, it is more important to buy the better VPU and not the card with more RAM. A 128MB GF6600GT is better than a 256MB GF6600 (non GT).

What you have to check is the clock speeds too and make sure they are equal. In some cards(some X800 series) the 256MB versions are clocked higher and therefore better. In other cards the 256MB ones have slower cheaper memory and are clocked lower. In general, if we are talking the same chipset, clocked the same, then it amounts to price. If priced the same, sure grab the 256MB card (realize it may still have slower memory chips and overclock less). But twice the amount of the same quality memory will cost the manufacturer more, so it's rare to see the cards cost us the same if actually equal.

Again, Typically in the case of the 6600GT, the 256MB ones are WAY overpriced...not worth the extra money and you may find a better performing 128MB card for less money.
!