Clients are not getting permanent licenses

Jordan

I have 2 Windows 2000 Advanced Servers and a Win 2003 server on my network.
The Windows 2003 server is setup as the Terminal Server and the TS Manager
and I have 20 Per user CALs for 2003 Server.

I just started getting messages that my temporary licenses are going to be
expiring in 15 days so I checked Terminal Server Licensing to see what was
going on and I see that all of my clients are being issued "Temporary
Licenses for Windows Server 2003 - Terminal Server Per Device CAL Tokens".
None of my 20 licenses have been issued to permanent clients.

I also noticed that I have a third line "Existing Windows 2000 Server -
Terminal Service CAL Tokens (per device)". The type is "Built In", Total is
"Unlimited", Available is "Unlimited", and Issued is "0".

Why aren't any clients being issued permanent licenses?

The "Existing Windows 2000 Server TS CALs" are only valid when you
connect from a W2K or XP Pro client to a W2K Terminal Server.
Since your TS runs 2003, you can't use these.

Is the 2003 Terminal Server (not the Licensing Server) set to use
"Per User" licensing? The default is "Per Device".
You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
Configuration - Server Settings
If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

Check this article, it explains that even after you have
switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
not be decremented:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Jordan" <nojunk_allowed@nospam.com> wrote on 28 sep 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:

> The "Existing Windows 2000 Server TS CALs" are only valid when you
> connect from a W2K or XP Pro client to a W2K Terminal Server.
> Since your TS runs 2003, you can't use these.
>
> Is the 2003 Terminal Server (not the Licensing Server) set to use
> "Per User" licensing? The default is "Per Device".
> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
> Configuration - Server Settings
> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
> and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

I've the same problem: Win2k3 TS and Win2k3 TSLicencing in the same
machine, 4 TS Per User CAL correctly installed on TSL. TSLicensing count
only from Temporary License, not issue a permanent license.

I've already check "Per User" setting under "Administrative Tools -
Terminal Services > Configuration - Server Settings", and I already try
to delete information from client's windows registry and make a new
connection, but not work.

Why aren't my clients being issued permanent licenses? Have I to wait
for a client's license expire?!

fRANz

fRANz <franz@REMOVEMEsigmasrl.com> wrote on 21 okt 2004:

> Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
>
>> The "Existing Windows 2000 Server TS CALs" are only valid when
>> you connect from a W2K or XP Pro client to a W2K Terminal
>> Server. Since your TS runs 2003, you can't use these.
>>
>> Is the 2003 Terminal Server (not the Licensing Server) set to
>> use "Per User" licensing? The default is "Per Device".
>> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal
>> Services Configuration - Server Settings
>> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS
>> CAL and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
>
> I've the same problem: Win2k3 TS and Win2k3 TSLicencing in the
> same machine, 4 TS Per User CAL correctly installed on TSL.
> TSLicensing count only from Temporary License, not issue a
> permanent license.
>
> I've already check "Per User" setting under "Administrative
> Tools - Terminal Services > Configuration - Server Settings",
> and I already try to delete information from client's windows
> registry and make a new connection, but not work.
>
> Why aren't my clients being issued permanent licenses? Have I to
> wait for a client's license expire?!
>
> fRANz

The second part of my post was:

Check this article, it explains that even after you have
switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
not be decremented:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

Check your EventLog. If you *don't* see Events about "cannot issue
license" or "cannot locate licensing server", then all is well.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server