Sign in with
Your question

MACINTEL...A NIGHTMARE COMES TRUE FOR AMD LOVERS!!!

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2006 3:29:30 AM

for years the mac platform has enjoyed easy to use and highly sophisticated desktop publishing tools, video editing, graphics and some applications which were not available for the pc.

now that they are blessed with Intel Inside, they will take over all existing pc markets!

and all the Amdroids will fall into what can only be described as a never ending spiraling black hole, while voices repeat every little stupid Amd post they have ever made on thg, over and over and over and over............................never ending!
January 14, 2006 3:37:32 AM

Nice imagry, better fiction.
January 14, 2006 4:06:32 AM

Ha' This is the end of apple as a hardware vendor. Now that they are actively supporting x86. It won't be long until the security measures are defeated and the Mac OS will run on all x86 hardware. Too bad I have no use for the Mac OS.
January 14, 2006 4:25:39 AM

Don't forget that mac lovers are total art tools...
so they'll naturally drift towards the "leap ahead" intel logos, kinda like zombies.

January 14, 2006 4:32:32 AM

Why does the leap ahead idea remind me of lemmings?
January 14, 2006 7:07:49 AM

are we actually gonna start putting together custom macs? would it still be a mac? wtf...
January 15, 2006 5:39:15 PM

Funny how Apple didn't go with the P4 though, huh?

I wonder why...
January 15, 2006 7:22:01 PM

Quote:
are we actually gonna start putting together custom macs? would it still be a mac? wtf...

My guess: Only if we can get Apple mobos. They will have to be unique, using their own N/S bridge or an ID chip to keep their OS from working on anyone else's mobo. What makes a Mac a Mac is the software, not the box.
January 15, 2006 7:25:57 PM

Mac users don't even know what they don't know. They tend to be the true computer noobies, but they draw nice pictures.
January 15, 2006 8:30:32 PM

What! Switch from Windows. BSODs Forever!!!
January 15, 2006 8:53:37 PM

LOL i was just playing that game a week ago. I was cleaning up and found the floppy disc w00t.
January 15, 2006 8:59:08 PM

Apple will likely use a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) on their motherboards which will be required for Mac OS X to install and boot. This should prevent people from just installing OS X on any computer. Quite a few people are in an uproar about the inclusion of the TPM, but I think thats more concern about possible Digital Rights Management features. Apple should be able to limit the use of their OS.

Other than the TPM, I believe the chipsets that Apple uses are standard ones namely the 945 series. The motherboards themselves were designed and likely produced by Intel according to the form factor and features that Apple requires.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/2005122...
January 15, 2006 9:00:48 PM

Well, I do admit that sometimes I miss the little cartoon BOMB that Macs use to tell me they've CRASHED! Maybe I would switch...
January 15, 2006 9:51:08 PM

Apple switched to Intel for three reasons, in my opinion, one, my brother has a G5 that runs on the PowerPc chip. They run hotter than Intel, so believe it or not, by switching to Intel they are getting a cooler running pc! 8O Secondly, Intel processors have a higher processor speed, so they can post monickers like 4X's faster! Lastly, Intel, though this may change, has far more business clout at the moment than AMD does. AMD=gaming computers/enthusiasts. Intel=business computers, and because of that they have a more recognized name than Intel. I didn't even know AMD existed until last summer when I got into the computer building thing, but I had known intel existed for some time before that. Whether or not this will help Intel or Apple remains to be seen. Intel is trying to revamp themsevles so I will wait and see.
January 15, 2006 10:07:04 PM

Intel fanboy are we? -

Well, seeing as how Vista looks to be the next ME...OSX(86) looks to be the next gaming platform.

I'm talking about the phase out of OpenGL, the move from pixel processing, etc...
January 15, 2006 10:19:07 PM

Really funny!

LOL

Mac OS X = BSD

BSD will run on almost anything just like Linux :D 

Maybe Apple will wake up and use AMD someday.... who knows.
January 16, 2006 2:17:09 AM

where the hell have you people bene the last 6 months! Apple is moving to intel because IBM isnt giving them what they wanted. Also, using the x86 platform instead of PPC cpu will allow them to be opened up to anyone that will need to rewrite just a little of their software, instead of the whole thing. PPC cpus ran used a completely different architecture so a developer had to rewrite the whole program. with the x86 architecture, they only have to change a small bit with the files to work. Also, intels run cooler, especially the laptop chip (Duo) while producing much faster results and much longer battery life. apple hasent considered OSX as the new gaming platform because then it wold make them reach into the gaming rig business. Companies like Nvidia would then be forced to develop new drivers and chipsets to work with the "apple only" mobos and their new IEF instead of the standard BIOS mobo oporation. Another reason for not entering the gaming section of computing is that most people wouldnt switch because most, if not all, gaming copmanies would not change their games in fear of losing money and then people would be forced to buy apple's overpriced crap.
January 16, 2006 2:28:19 AM

Quote:
Really funny!

LOL

Mac OS X = BSD

BSD will run on almost anything just like Linux :D 

Maybe Apple will wake up and use AMD someday.... who knows.

Don't forget the Microsoft version of BSD.. Called BSoD.. not as stable thou ..

And who care which CPU they'll use.. I'm smart enough to choose what will run best for me and I don't need trolls, fanboy, Intel, AMD, Apple, Microsoft.. to tell me which one is better..
January 16, 2006 2:31:17 AM

Quote:
for years the mac platform has enjoyed easy to use and highly sophisticated desktop publishing tools, video editing, graphics and some applications which were not available for the pc.

now that they are blessed with Intel Inside, they will take over all existing pc markets!

and all the Amdroids will fall into what can only be described as a never ending spiraling black hole, while voices repeat every little stupid Amd post they have ever made on thg, over and over and over and over............................never ending!

I still wonder why you care that much about AMD user's ... Wouldnt be better if you get a life of yourself..
January 16, 2006 12:45:53 PM

Quote:
Theproblem is there are too many l337 x86 h4x0rz in this world and it won't be soon before we all start running MacOS X on AMD.
I'm certainly hoping so. Geeze. I'm going to need to set up my next PC to quad-boot between WinXP, WinXP-64, Linux, and MacOS-x86. I don't know what I'll do when Vista comes out! :o  I'm going to need a hard drive dedicated just to OSes...
January 16, 2006 1:02:26 PM

Quote:
All those software will become WindowsXP compatible too you know which means AMD can use them and ALL Mac users will switch to AMD due to faster performance. Muhahahaha

Glad you're back to your good'ol self.

We will see that...
That's not only about performance and some software, but also ease of use. By the way, I want to see U running at top stability Final Cut Pro on a PC even within 2 or 3 years...
Mac users are way more than simple pc enthusiasts. It's a brotherhood and a way of life.
As for the external looks of the machines....I don't even bother to say how beautifull they are...
January 16, 2006 2:46:06 PM

Quote:
Mac users are way more than simple pc enthusiasts.

Mac users aren't enthusiasts period... let alone PC enthusiasts. How long did it take Apple to put out a 2-button mouse? Let's not even talk about the fact that the mouse is more like a mouse turd instead of a mouse...

Simplicity of use may be nice... but it comes at too high a cost for me. I like taking my computer apart. I like tweaking my computer. I like upgrading my computer. I hate proprietary parts. I hate closed architetures. Anyone that likes Apple for these reasons cannot possibly call themselves an enthusiast.

I won't deny there are advantages to Apple's approach. A closed design makes sure that the OS will run with a lot fewer problems. Limited hardware choices makes tech support simpler. Of course the bad thing is you can't stick the latest and greatest vid card in your computer and expect it to work.
January 16, 2006 3:30:39 PM

Quote:
Of course the bad thing is you can't stick the latest and greatest vid card in your computer and expect it to work.

and that will never happen. I hate apple users because they think they are better than everyone else with their little unix computer. I can go out and download Suse linux and have a computer thats more secure with way better preformance.
If you think about it, with macs becoming "affordable" more and more people will make the switch and more and more viruses and other crap will come up, and the best part about that will be the fact that most apple users dont have antivirus or even firewalls, theyll get caught with their pants down.
Another thing, if Windows is so bad, then why does almost everyone in the world use it? Wouldn't everyone start to switch to macs if they are so easy to learn? theres a big reason people use windows, all the software works. no bother with finding companies that make what they want. just go to the store and pick software, and itll work. its that easy.
So far now, screw apple, id rather have my nice gaming machine than an overpriced mac any day.
and to the guy that said macs were nice looking. Would you rather bring some shiny, white computer to a lan party? Or would you choose your nice (insert brand here) tower with lit up fans and completely custom hardware?
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2006 4:05:04 PM

Quote:
Apple switched to Intel for three reasons, in my opinion, one, my brother has a G5 that runs on the PowerPc chip. They run hotter than Intel, so believe it or not, by switching to Intel they are getting a cooler running pc! 8O Secondly, Intel processors have a higher processor speed, so they can post monickers like 4X's faster! Lastly, Intel, though this may change, has far more business clout at the moment than AMD does. AMD=gaming computers/enthusiasts. Intel=business computers, and because of that they have a more recognized name than Intel. I didn't even know AMD existed until last summer when I got into the computer building thing, but I had known intel existed for some time before that. Whether or not this will help Intel or Apple remains to be seen. Intel is trying to revamp themsevles so I will wait and see.

The Intel desktop processors MAC's will use take up less power then AMD's laptop processors. 50W for a Core Duo 2.15GHz is quite low. They also don't run at insane speeds. Infact they're more efficient then the Athlon64 on a clock for clock and watt per watt basis.
January 16, 2006 4:48:05 PM

Quote:
Of course the bad thing is you can't stick the latest and greatest vid card in your computer and expect it to work.

and that will never happen. I hate apple users because they think they are better than everyone else with their little unix computer. I can go out and download Suse linux and have a computer thats more secure with way better preformance.
If you think about it, with macs becoming "affordable" more and more people will make the switch and more and more viruses and other crap will come up, and the best part about that will be the fact that most apple users dont have antivirus or even firewalls, theyll get caught with their pants down.
Another thing, if Windows is so bad, then why does almost everyone in the world use it? Wouldn't everyone start to switch to macs if they are so easy to learn? theres a big reason people use windows, all the software works. no bother with finding companies that make what they want. just go to the store and pick software, and itll work. its that easy.
So far now, screw apple, id rather have my nice gaming machine than an overpriced mac any day.
and to the guy that said macs were nice looking. Would you rather bring some shiny, white computer to a lan party? Or would you choose your nice (insert brand here) tower with lit up fans and completely custom hardware?
Why does everyone uses windows? Mass mentality. Less money.
Lan party smart guy? Who owns a mac doesn´t give a damn for games, but is interested in apple's software. We can´t discuss tastes here; for me there's no more beautiful thing than a mac. So if you live for the lan parties, be my guest and pimp your big calculator (pc) till someone thinks you got Las Vegas holding from your shoulder.
Buying Software and walking aroud to find it? Who spoke of buying?
Did you ever hear about Limewire and Carracho?
Apple mac OS = great ease of use. And don't even bother to argue with this. U don´t have a mac, and if you had, you would mentioned it.
January 16, 2006 5:03:21 PM

no sh*t the mac os >> windows.

mac is unpopular, amongst others things, b/c its the most proprietary pos ever. and that's dell included.
January 16, 2006 5:15:09 PM

Quote:

No... everyone uses Windows because Apple screwed themselves royally when they decided not to allow clones. Apple could not gain enough market penetration because they could not keep up with all the x86 manufacturers. If Apple had taken the stick out of their ass and opened up their architeture... we may all be using PowerPC clones and running MacOS instead of Windows.

Hence why all the software x86 users enjoy are made for that platform first... and may or may not trickle down to Mac.
January 16, 2006 5:22:12 PM

Quote:

No... everyone uses Windows because Apple screwed themselves royally when they decided not to allow clones. Apple could not gain enough market penetration because they could not keep up with all the x86 manufacturers. If Apple had taken the stick out of their ass and opened up their architeture... we may all be using PowerPC clones and running MacOS instead of Windows.

Hence why all the software x86 users enjoy are made for that platform first... and may or may not trickle down to Mac.
Whatever...If they did that, mac OS would be unstability all over. Putting a ferrari engine in a fiat punto? Don´t think so....
Each thing at its place....want mac os? Buy a mac.
January 16, 2006 6:05:33 PM

Quote:
No... everyone uses Windows because Apple screwed themselves royally when they decided not to allow clones.
Quite true. Same as why we use VHS tapes instead of Betamax. :) 
January 16, 2006 6:09:10 PM

Quote:
U don´t have a mac, and if you had, you would mentioned it.
I have a Mac II. I bought it for a buck at an auction to play Robowar on. Then it was a footrest under my PC for a long while. Now it's sitting in my computer graveyard. I should dig it up. I miss having a good footrest. :tongue:
January 16, 2006 6:12:45 PM

everybody:

let's just all drop the pc/mac debate, nobody has ever gotten anywhere with it, and we're not about to gain any ground now.
January 16, 2006 6:25:40 PM

Who's debating? I'm goading. :mrgreen:
January 16, 2006 6:34:13 PM

lol. nice
January 16, 2006 6:35:46 PM

Stability problems on Windows are highly exaggerated by Mac users. Are there problems? Sure. They're just not as bad as most Mac users make them out to be... and MacOS isn't 100% foolproof either...

My work computer runs WinXP. The only time I ever have to shut it down or reboot it is when I'm adding a hard drive to test or doing Windows updates. It stays up for weeks at a time with no problems whatsoever... no crashes, period. You don't need a Mac to gain stability... you just have to know what you're doing.

:p 

Besides, there's always Linux. At least software support for it is growing... which is more than I can say for MacOS...
January 16, 2006 6:42:45 PM

it's relatively hard to find people who 'know what they're doing'. osX, in general, is far more idiot-proof than xp, kinda ironic that the idiot-proofing doesnt work when everybody scrambles for windows anyway.
January 16, 2006 6:44:19 PM

Quote:
Besides, there's always Linux. At least software support for it is growing...
Especially as Windows/DX emulations like WINE get better and better. :)  One day I might even give Linux a serious go again. Maybe the next PC I build...
January 16, 2006 6:45:51 PM

Quote:
lol. nice
I try. :oops: 
January 16, 2006 8:12:50 PM

AmdMeltdown new computer will be a mac. Apple 2e.
January 16, 2006 8:39:59 PM

I just want to know why it's a nightmare for AMD enthusiasts. I mean if we didn't care about Apple before, why would we start now? Just because they've switched to Intel? Big f**kin' deal. An Apple will still be an Apple... proprietary as hell, and a pain in the ass to upgrade. It's a niche product in a niche market... almost irrelevant.

Now if a company the likes of Dell used AMD and decided to dump them, then that may be a nightmare for AMD enthusiasts... but I fail to see why we should be concerned about Apple using Intel processors.
January 17, 2006 7:16:47 PM

Quote:

And who care which CPU they'll use.. I'm smart enough to choose what will run best for me and I don't need trolls, fanboy, Intel, AMD, Apple, Microsoft.. to tell me which one is better..

Carpetbagger =P
January 18, 2006 5:08:13 AM

Quote:
Besides, there's always Linux. At least software support for it is growing...
Especially as Windows/DX emulations like WINE get better and better. :)  One day I might even give Linux a serious go again. Maybe the next PC I build...

Yes WINE is getting better and there are commercial derivatives like Cedega. There is also VMWare which can be made to run almost anything.

I have several dedicated Linux machines myself and they all work GREAT! :D 

My gaming machine dual boots Linux and XP (as a last resort). The funny thing is my dual boot box is rock solid, 100% stable under Linux, however it always crashes under windows :-( funny how that works, huh????

I am aware of the fact that some games crash a lot and take windows down with them and that the automatic reboot can be turned off, etc however most Unix systems are a LOT more crash resistant and far more stable out of the box even when running experimental software.

No software on earth is absolutely perfect or secure - duh!!!!!! but there are many things Unix operating systems do a lot better than windows.

A quick and easy way to test drive Linux is to try Knoppix which is a bootable Live Linux system which runs entirely from CD or DVD and does not require installation.

The Knoppix CD can be downloaded below:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

Please keep in mind there are MANY Linux distributions and each one does things differently, some are better than others and certain things work better on one as opposed to another. If you try a distribution and don't like it, please try another one! Also Linux is incredibly customizable and if it doesn't work exactly the way you want it to work out of the box it can be made to work the way you want it to. The possibilities are endless! :D 

If any of you are interested in trying Linux or BSD or any Unix OS feel free to message me and I will try to help you get the most out of them :D 

Semper Fi carry on
January 18, 2006 1:37:08 PM

Some folks in my department use Linux at work. (Because we're doing software development for Windows and Linux using Python and Qt.) And they all use VMware to run Windows, because, well, you just can't really get away from Windows, even when you want to. :lol:  Even if VMware-ing Windows is kind of slow.

In the past I've fiddled with Red Hat (and now Fedora), Mandrake, and Suse. I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be all that productive or helpful. :oops: 

I know that if I really felt like it, I could sit down and learn. Heck, I was using a Commodore 64 since I was 7. Command prompts and overly complicated ways of doing simple things don't scare me. It's just a matter of memorizing the basics and knowing where to look up everything else. Heck, I even use DOSbox to run old games.

But really, I'm just waiting for Linux to evolve a little more before I finally bother setting up a dual-boot at home. I mean, for example, the last time I used a Linux box I had to change out a USB mouse for a PS2 mouse. Just getting that mouse to work was a royal pain in the behind. It was astonishing. Especially since on a Windows box I can do that without even having to load a single driver. Windows detects the new hardware automatically, loads a good default driver, and tada, I'm good to go without missing a beat. They were completely opposite experiences.

One day Linux will be refined enough that these little things are finally handled. For example, I've heard that you no longer have to rebuild the kernel just to use the 3D acceleration of a newly installed graphics card. Though I haven't verified this, it'd be about f'ing time. And the hardware configuration programs are definately getting friendlier. I have noticed that.

And one of these days I really am going to look into a Knoppix disk as a recovery tool. I keep forgetting. But it's on my list of things to do.

Personally, I love open source projects. (And I wish my company would let me open source, or at least freeware compliled objects, of some of our non-essential code.) I use The GIMP, Spam Bayes, Open Office, and such fairly regularly ... even while I have expensive commercial alternatives such as Adobe Photoshop and M$ Office available. So far I've been pretty impressed with Open Office2.

But for as much as I love some of the concepts of Linux, I really have to take fault with the by geeks-for geeks mentality that has at times even seemed to have consciously and intentionally kept Linux much more complicated to use than it needed to be to protect it from casual users.

And companies like Linspire have really disappointed as they seem more about trying to make a name for themselves and/or money through provoking lawsuits than they do about actually delivering what they preach.

It'd be nice if a community got together to make an OS that would actually improve the world, for a change, instead of various peoples getting on their different high horses, each for their own selfish reasons.

I don't mind a little useful added complexity. And I typically don't complain about a little added complexity when using freeware, because I understand how much effort it can take to design a good user interface and how little innate skill most programmers have for that. Logic and artistic ability are nearly opposing entities. I understand that. But Linux ... I don't know. IMHO there's just no good excuse for the way it's drug its feet on making things more simple. Hopefully one day it'll get there, and I'm sure that I'll use it seriously long before it actually gets there, but it's been a long and disappointing road so far.

But sooner or later someone is really going to have to complete with M$ seriously, because M$ is just getting waaaaay too full of themselves.

But, I have to say that Windows really is getting pretty good. At home and at work I have WinXP running, and damn me to hell if both boxes won't run 24/7 for months in a row without a single problem. That's a heck of a lot better than my old Win98SE box.
January 18, 2006 2:30:46 PM

Quote:
The Intel desktop processors MAC's will use take up less power then AMD's laptop processors. 50W for a Core Duo 2.15GHz is quite low. They also don't run at insane speeds. Infact they're more efficient then the Athlon64 on a clock for clock and watt per watt basis.

I don't think so. The only reason that Core Duo wins against the Turion is because it's DualCore. They have improved over the Dothan but that's not really saying much. And the 955 desktop part still hasn't made up the difference between the X2 or FX60 which is running 800MHz slower and has half the cache.

Admit it, Intel has dropped the ball and AMD picked it up. The last few years were like AMD taking Intel out back and beating the crap out of them. Everyone who knows says that AMD is in charge at least until 2008.

Intel doesn't have a chance without CSI. Once AM2 launches in a few months, the FX62 will regian the crown in the few places where Intel took it back with the 955. If they add dual channel and dual core to the Turion, the Yonah will get beat.
January 18, 2006 2:36:54 PM

Quote:
But sooner or later someone is really going to have to complete with M$ seriously, because M$ is just getting waaaaay too full of themselves.

But, I have to say that Windows really is getting pretty good. At home and at work I have WinXP running, and damn me to hell if both boxes won't run 24/7 for months in a row without a single problem. That's a heck of a lot better than my old Win98SE box.

That will only happen when someone creates a better bx that cannot be considered an "IBM-Compatible PC" otherwise MS will get paid anyway. That's why no one can threaten MS. They signed the "Greatest Deal Ever" as the only outsource supplier of the IBM PCs OS.

Maybe that's why the Cell is gaining popularity. It can be the basis for a non IBM-Compatible PC.
January 18, 2006 2:40:26 PM

When is the last time you tried Linux?

What distribution did you use?

I have been using Unix and Linux since 1994 and I can say Linux has been unusable since Redhat 6.x ( around 1998? IIRC ) even for average people.

Part of the problem is most people are brainwashed to think any non-M$ OS sucks or is hard to use and they have picked up bad habits from M$ software.

Also most people are afraid to try something new and learn something in the process.

GIMP, OO.org, gaim and many other OSS projects do kick butt :D  and many are cross platform which is nice.

USB devices have been working pretty well for several years. Especially mice.

Knoppix is a great tool btw.

You can grab the CD here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD...

or you can message me privately and I can send you the DVD :D 

Over and out
January 18, 2006 2:43:49 PM

Quote:
That will only happen when someone creates a better bx that cannot be considered an "IBM-Compatible PC" otherwise MS will get paid anyway. That's why no one can threaten MS. They signed the "Greatest Deal Ever" as the only outsource supplier of the IBM PCs OS.
Umm ... not sure where you get your information from, but it's fairly wrong. Oh, sure, there have been contracts where M$ gets paid for OS-less boxes. However even boxes shipping with FreeDOS don't suffer that. And even then, that's just a contract, not a law. As soon as any OS actually proves itself, especially a free one, there will be plenty of resistance to M$'s goofy contracts. But until there's something actually worth replacing Windows with, there's no reason to risk pissing off M$.

Quote:
Maybe that's why the Cell is gaining popularity. It can be the basis for a non IBM-Compatible PC.
I doubt it. :lol:  Cell is just hype. It's nice for consoles. It might even make for some interesting servers. But other than that, hype. It's not like x86 is the only architecture in the world.
January 21, 2006 6:48:58 PM

I used to work at MS. That's where I get my info. MS gets paid for every PC sold, PERIOD. If you can get Dell, HP, and others to say that isn't so, great.

And whatever OS tries to compete it has to compete with DirectX. That means either providing an API that is compatible or better. WHat are the chances? Then any server has to beat out Active Directory and let's not mention the file system and USB. By the time any company could get all of these things up to par MS would force them out of business.

My comment about the Cell was just specualtion.
January 22, 2006 1:23:43 AM

I can see Apple maybe wanting to pimp there OS to the hords of unsatisfied WinXP owners, maybe compete with MS Vista. MS made more money with just their operating system then Apple could even dreamed about by leaps and bounds. A easy way of doing business, playing etc over MS maybe extremely complicated Vista could prove very worth while for Apple to do.
January 23, 2006 1:21:36 PM

Quote:
I used to work at MS. That's where I get my info. MS gets paid for every PC sold, PERIOD. If you can get Dell, HP, and others to say that isn't so, great.
Sorry, but that's M$-centric bull. I've yet to meet an owner of a single minor manufacturer that pays M$ for not installing Windows. And from what I've read, the old contracts where that was true are being phased out in a lot of major OEMs. (Mostly because of anti-trust pressure.)

Quote:
And whatever OS tries to compete it has to compete with DirectX.
Besides OpenGL, there are also projects such as WINE. You're right, but it's most definately happening.
!