Futureproofing SLI

Deframer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Good afternoon (Or whatever is relevant to your chronological zone :)),

I've been considering upgrading my system for some time now (I'm still running a 1.0GHz Intel Processor with Geforce 2 graphics :p) The question I have regards graphics cards and whether the following plan is feasible:

At current, I'm going to buy a single 7800GTX. The Gigabyte Geforce 7800GTX 512MB to be exact. I suspect that this card will do fine for now *but* I have some concerns regarding futureproofing:

Let's say at some point in the future (let's say 2-3 years) I choose to add in a second graphics card. Well, there's two things I need cleared up:

1) I know that SLi requires one to purchase "exactly" the same card as your other one to function properly. What though, is meant be "exactly"? Does this mean I'll need another Gigabyte Geforce 7800GTX 512MB with the exact same product number, OR will any other brand's 7800GTX with the same clock speed and memory work?

2) I've also heard somewhere, though I can't for the life of me recall where, that the 512MB 7800GTXs are quite rare. Do you think that if I choose to upgrade with another card in a couple of years time, or even a year, I will be able to even find the card that I need?

Thanks in advance :)

(Oh, btw, will a Seasonic s12 600w PSU be enough to suppore two of these cards running Sli? Also have a 4400 X2 lined up as the Processor)

Wait 'til the R580 launches it should push down the price of the GTX-512 somewhat. Of course as will the G71/GF7900 launch.

GTX-512 is usually way overpriced, but if you have a good deal, then it'll be ok until the need for DX10, however it's not going to make 2+ years without compromises.

Deframer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Thanks for your quick response :)

As it stands, that particular card is going to cost me about on par with a 256mb model ($800AUD), which is why I'm fairly intent on snapping it up. A friend of mine owns a computer parts and hardware store, and he has a few extra of those in stock, which explains the lower price. That being the case, my questions still stand.

Anyways, what do you mean by "compromises"? I'm no more than an amateur when it comes to hardware, so any information is going to help a lot! :) Thanks!

Once DX10 ships and games start optimizing for it it should be a big leap especially for geometry.

Now this wont mean your card will become obsolete, but it will likely be playing with reduced settings simply because it can't support those that the R600/G80 can. We're talking about another year or more away before true adoption in games, but that's what we're talkng about here 2+ years. In 2+ years the GF7 series (and X1800 series) will be where the R9800P is now. It'll play everything, but it's at lower resolution and with some of the features turned down/off.

Of course this is what I try to avoid doing. Lookin into the future never works, and there is no such thing as future-proofing. But the GF7800GTX will last you long enough if you were still enjoying your GF2 last year and found it ok, then it should be 'ok' for 2-3+ years too.