New System - Thoughts?

Aegon

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I've finally convinced my wife to let me build a new system - trust me, that wasn't an easy task. I built our current systems about a year and a half ago, so they're measily Athllon XP 2700+'s and I feel that it's time for an upgrade. As such, I have been researching the system I'd like to build and have come up with the following components. I'm pretty much ready to order, with everything in my cart, but right now I am looking for a little feedback.

Please, if you have any feedback regarding my choice of hardware, I would love to hear it.

I'll be buying the following, all from NewEgg:

Case: NZXT Lexa ATX Mid Tower with 500 Watt Power Supply
Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 SLI ATX
Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256MB
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester (or X2 4200+)

I'll be transferring the following from my old computer

RAM: Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz (2x512MB)

I'll also be moving DVD Burner, Floppy etc over too, as well as my three hard drives.

I use my computer for a range of things, and while gaming is the primary reason, I do often find myself multitasking between different applications such as Photoshop because of my job, so I certainly feel that a dual-core processor is the way to go. Besides, as more games become optimized for dual-core processors, I feel that this is a worthy investment. :)

Eventually, I do plan on adding another GeForce 7800GT to the mix, and another 1GB RAM... wife permitting of course. Maybe in a month or two.

Thoughts? Improvements? I'm trying to keep within a budget of around $1100, and right now I have myself checked at around $1000 before tax and shipping.

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Use Opteron 165/170 instead of the x2 if you know how to/are willing to overclock. The Opty has 2x1MB cache, and can OC like crazy (mine is 50+%).

I suggest 2x1GB in lieu of 4x512MB, but whatever floats your boat and simultaneously sinks your ship, since you already have 2x512

the evga is great, oc it and chances are, you wouldn't think you'd need an extra card for sli... and you shouldnt for most purposes

do you really need the lexa? if you want to save money, coolermaster centurion 5 with an antec always works. put the extra money towards college funds or RAM or something. or get a lian-li :)

Aegon

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I've not played with overclocking for a few years, now; though I am sure I could work it out, I just don't want the hassle, I guess.

I'm starting to think twice about the Lexa, since it'll come with unknown brand PSU. I was considering the Coolermaster Centurion 5 or Thermaltake XASER, Armor Series.

"the evga is great, oc it and chances are, you wouldn't think you'd need an extra card for sli... and you shouldnt for most purposes "

A single 7800GT is still adequate/good for all games, although FEAR is a rather a brute on all cards (GPU bound at 1024x768/4xaa/16xAF), but a 7800GT is adequate for about 80 fps at 1024x768 with no aa/af, and good for about 50 fps with 4xaa/16xaf....

Adding a 2nd 7800GT a la SLI will boost the framerates to 98 or so *WITH* 4xaa/16xAF...

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
You may or may not want to use SLI, that's completely up to you. However, remember that SLI is not the only extra feature on many SLI-compatible motherboards. Check everything before you make a final decision. I know people who are willing to pay extra for SLI mobos who never intended to use that particular feature, while others opted for nonSLI. Besides the fact that most mobo manufacturers stick a few other extras on their SLI boards, you're also afforded the benefit of the option to go SLI whenever you want - if you suddenly decided you want SLI six months from now, you'd have to buy a new mobo...again, you have to weigh your own preferences and check all the specs/reviews/user ops before you buy.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I Like It But Make Sure You Have 2GB Of RAM Its Worth It For Multitaskers And Serious Gamers (Look At My System Below) But Like The Dudes Above Said The Opteron Dual-Cores (Socket 939) Is A Temptiong Option, I Myself Will Likely Go With A 2.0 (Or A 2.2GHz) Dual Core Opteron Myself When I Get My Tax Return.... If Your Interested These Opterons Have Unlocked Multipliers And Have Been Know To Reatch 2.6GHz - 3GHz+ Range Overclocks On The Stock Cooler But If Ya Want, An Aftermarked Aircooler (Go Heatpipes) Or Liquid Cooling Is Will Result In The Highest/Most Stable Overclocks.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Actually If Im Not Mistaken Ive Read It On A Thread Here, And On A Web Site I Cant Remember During A Random Google Search (I May Have Been "Slightly" Drunk :? )

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
You don't seem to understand what I just said, so let me clarify.

The option to go SLI is an option to run two video cards in SLI - this does NOT necessarily mean that he needs to buy a second 7800Gt if he gets a 7800GT now.

When the next generation of SLI-capable cards come out, yes, they can also be placed in SLI. Who's to say that, at that point in time, he would or would not be interested in buying 2 of those and putting THEM in SLI?

And if you still don't see what I'm saying:
If SLI came out just as the 6800ultra came out, and he bought a 6800ultra, getting an sli mobo then doesn't mean he MUST buy a second 6800ultra to use the sli feature. If the 7800GT comes out half a year later, he can either A)keep his 6800ultra or B)buy a 7800GT. The 'option' refers to his increased choice: A)keep his 6800ultra, B) buy a 7800GT, C)buy a second 6800ultra for sli, or D)buy two 7800gt's and put them in sli.
------------------
Once again, Aegon, you need to weigh your options and decide what the different features/benefits are worth to you.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
The Reason Im Asking... Is Because Im Looking Into Upgrading My Current 3800+ X2 Dual-Core (And Yes I Could Go Way Higher Than 2.2GHz And Run Stable) Up To A 2.2GHz Dual-Core Socket 939 Opteron So I Can Get A Higher Max OC (Without Changing My FSB If Im Correct About The Opterons Being Unlocked) Even [Seriously] Considering Liquid Cooling For The First Time, Witch I Also Intend To Ask You About (If You Are Experianced With It) If Its Aight?

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
wtf. considering my lengthy explanation WITH an actual example, wusy still doesn't get it.

hell, as i was typing the example, i was afraid it was going to sound insulting to wusy, but i guess not even that was enough.

so forget it, if somebody else who does get what i mean from either the explanation itself or the example, you can try to explain it to this guy.