After a new printer!

Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling through
both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.

Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour
resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do I).
I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like and
then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.

If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with cheap
refills I would be very grateful.
14 answers Last reply
More about after printer

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling
    > through both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
    >
    > Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200
    > colour resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask
    > for much do I). I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but
    > find one I like and then discover you have to buy the different
    > colours seperately.

    Just think about what you've said for a moment. Why is buying a combination
    cartridge more economical than buying them separately?! You really haven't
    thought this through, have you?! When a standard tri-colour tank registers
    empty, it could be that just *ONE* of the colours has expired, the others
    could still be very nearly full. Say said cartridge cost £30 (about average
    for an OEM) - you could very well be throwing £20 in the bin - throwing your
    money away - literally.

    Separate tanks makes sound economic sense. £80 would buy you an R200 and
    cartridges for which are £9.60 each (all colours) (or £57.56 for a complete
    set). JetTec compatibles (which I use and give me excellent prints) are
    £5.50 each or £51.35 for a set of 12 (a saving of nearly £15 over buying
    them separately). The JetTec tanks also have nearly a third more ink than
    the originals.

    > If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with
    > cheap refills I would be very grateful.

    lose his marbles?

    Clever thinking batman, any idea what the resolution is on said printer, ive
    been looking at an Epson Stylus c82, they dont seem bad.

    > Steve wrote:
    >> Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling
    >> through both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
    >>
    >> Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200
    >> colour resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask
    >> for much do I). I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but
    >> find one I like and then discover you have to buy the different
    >> colours seperately.
    >

    > Just think about what you've said for a moment. Why is buying a
    > combination cartridge more economical than buying them separately?! You
    > really haven't thought this through, have you?! When a standard tri-colour
    > tank registers empty, it could be that just *ONE* of the colours has
    > expired, the others could still be very nearly full. Say said cartridge
    > cost £30 (about average for an OEM) - you could very well be throwing £20
    > in the bin - throwing your money away - literally.
    >
    > Separate tanks makes sound economic sense. £80 would buy you an R200 and
    > cartridges for which are £9.60 each (all colours) (or £57.56 for a
    > complete set). JetTec compatibles (which I use and give me excellent
    > prints) are £5.50 each or £51.35 for a set of 12 (a saving of nearly £15
    > over buying them separately). The JetTec tanks also have nearly a third
    > more ink than the originals.
    >
    >> If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with
    >> cheap refills I would be very grateful.
    >

    > --
    > My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
    > lose his marbles?

    Try the C84 . It is great and the seperate carts (compatible) are also great
    and cheap...
    I get carts from printpal.com

    Steve wrote:

    > Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling through
    > both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
    >
    > Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour
    > resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do I).
    > I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like and
    > then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.
    >
    > If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with cheap
    > refills I would be very grateful.

    You do have to buy the colours separately and that is what makes the ink costs
    much cheaper because you don't have to replace a whole multi-colour cartridge
    when one colour runs out.

    I use 5-10 times more photo magenta and photo-cyan than the other colours in my
    printer. It would cost me a small fortune to replace all colours at once just
    because the PM or PC ran out if they were all in one cartridge.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    given nor endorsed by it.

    BenOne© wrote:

    >> Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour

    Pretty much all current printers should get better resolution than that.

    >> resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do I).
    >> I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like and

    In my experience while recently shopping for a new printer, Epson has
    reasonable ink costs, but they have an integrated printhead which is not
    user-serviceable and replacement cost is far too high. Clogging seems to
    be an issue, but results vary.

    Canon has reasonable costs, but they have a replaceable printhead that
    costs a fair amount to purchase. Reliability seems to be an issue, but
    results vary.

    HP has reasonable costs, and the printheads are integrated into the
    cartridges so reliability is not usually an issue.

    Lexmark seems to be the most expensive for ink costs. They have
    printheads in the cartridges, so reliability is not usually an issue.

    >> then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.

    Some people believe that separate ink cartridges are a benefit. In my
    experience, the typical consumption level of inks is reasonably equal,
    so either format is acceptable.

    >> If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with cheap
    >> refills I would be very grateful.

    I suggest you stick with Canon, Epson, or HP. Lexmark is not an option
    due to high ink costs.

    When shopping around, I eliminated Lexmark from the list rather quickly.
    I also removed Epson after considering reliability of the integrated
    printhead. Canon performs well, but having to replace the printhead at
    high cost pushed it off the list.

    I settled on an HP printer. It's a mid-priced unit with excellent
    output, high speed, reasonable ink costs, and high reliability. It's one
    of the best and highest rated performers at this current point in time.
    Side by side comparisons of text, graphics, and photos, reveal that it's
    slightly better than my Canon was using just four colours. Using the
    photo cartridge it's even nicer.

    >You do have to buy the colours separately and that is what makes the ink costs
    >much cheaper because you don't have to replace a whole multi-colour cartridge
    >when one colour runs out.

    I don't know about "much cheaper".

    My now-defunct Canon i850 consumed all three of the colour inks (CMY) at
    pretty much the same rate. The levels were so close that it made any
    potential savings not worth considering.

    >I use 5-10 times more photo magenta and photo-cyan than the other colours in my
    >printer. It would cost me a small fortune to replace all colours at once just
    >because the PM or PC ran out if they were all in one cartridge.

    While it's generally true that six colour printers use photo colours
    faster than the regular colours, I know of no printer that uses
    completely integrated colour cartridges like that. The photo and colour
    cartridges are separate.

    For example, my HP printer uses a tri-colour cartridge with C/M/Y, and a
    photo cartridge with PM/PC/PB.

    Steve wrote:
    > Clever thinking batman, any idea what the resolution is on said
    > printer, ive been looking at an Epson Stylus c82, they dont seem bad.

    Here's an idea - why don't you STFW?!

    lose his marbles?

    check out this website - http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html -
    long and rambling, but good information. I followed his advice, bought a
    canon I960, Computer Friends refill plugs, and MIS inks and am really happy
    with this setup. I had an Epson Stylus 900 which was more a general use
    printer with color print capabilities. The color prints looked quite good
    to me until I compared them to the prints from the Canon at high
    magnification. Refilling is easy once you get into it. My epson did
    partially clog and required cleaning techniques beyond running cleaning
    cycles. The Canon I960 cost about $150 in the US as it is being phased out.
    I don't know if there is a UK model that is equivalent.

    > Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling through
    > both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
    >
    > Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour
    > resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do
    > I). I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like
    > and then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.
    >
    > If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with cheap
    > refills I would be very grateful.

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:22:18 -0000, "Steve"
    <steveh@NOSPAMhunkys.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling through
    >both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.

    Don't buy another Lexmark.

    >Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour
    >resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do I).
    >I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like and
    >then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.

    Ah, I see you want a decent printer so you won't be buying another
    Lexmark then.

    Just a word of advice - the cost of the cartridges in terms of pages
    per cartridge is usually in inverse proportion to the cost of the
    printer.
    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:17:14 -0000, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > Separate tanks makes sound economic sense. £80 would buy you an R200 and
    > cartridges for which are £9.60 each (all colours) (or £57.56 for a complete
    > set). JetTec compatibles (which I use and give me excellent prints) are
    > £5.50 each or £51.35 for a set of 12 (a saving of nearly £15 over buying
    > them separately). The JetTec tanks also have nearly a third more ink than
    > the originals.

    I use the R210 which is the equivalent in NZ to the R200 in the UK. I
    have been reading about the JetTec replacement cartridges and wondered
    how they compare with the original Epson cartridge?

    You mention that they give excellent prints, in your opinion does the
    colour match the Epson cartridges, or is there a difference?

    Do you actually get a third more prints from the JetTec cartridges?

    The cost difference in NZ isn't great, so the selling point to me
    would be the third more ink increase. Looking at the JetTec web site
    I'm not sure that the cartridge contains a third more ink, or they
    achieve the extra prints though using the ink in the cartridge until
    empty. If this is the case what is the possibly of print head
    clogging?

    "John" <john@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:17:14 -0000, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > Do you actually get a third more prints from the JetTec cartridges?
    >
    > The cost difference in NZ isn't great, so the selling point to me
    > would be the third more ink increase. Looking at the JetTec web site
    > I'm not sure that the cartridge contains a third more ink, or they
    > achieve the extra prints though using the ink in the cartridge until
    > empty. If this is the case what is the possibly of print head
    > clogging?

    If you had read the site you maybe should have noticed the guarantee :-) The
    single C80 C84 C86 carts contain 13ml of ink the C88 32ml. The extra 3rd is
    achieved by using the ink that Epson believe you should throw away.
    Most of this is repeated on the sites below - but you do have to read it.
    However if your print head burns out and zooms down the road like a red hot
    comet please let me know. I should be able to catch it on its second orbit.
    Tony
    --
    Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
    http://www.inkylinkusa.com 30% more ink

    I know you'd like to believe this is true. In fact, regardless of
    independent lab tests and the experiences of many using tricolor
    cartridges that show otherwise, you continue to make this claim.

    Yes, in the case of low dye load colors (light magenta and cyan), the
    usual use, and the way the drivers are designed, these colors are used
    at about twice the volume of high dye load colors, like CMY.

    Otherwise, with standard CMY tri-color cartridges, other than in quite
    unusual usage, the colors tend to run out nearly at the same time. Most
    often yellow will run out first, with cyan and magenta in one order or
    the other) running out next, usually leaving only 5-15% of the ink left
    over.

    Now, admittedly, at the price of ink cartridges, no one wishes to waste
    ink. However, there is a flaw in the argument that using individual
    color cartridges is any great savings, if any at all. Firstly, you have
    to look at cost per amount of ink, or page count. An individual color
    cartridge may cost more per ink use.

    Secondly, there is another scenario to consider. When you install a
    tri-color cartridge, the printer goes through a purging process which
    takes out equal amounts of each color. With most modern Epson printers
    (and probably most others) the black ink cartridge is also purged at the
    same time. Now, consider what happens with individual cartridges.
    Let's say the yellow runs out first, so you put in a new yellow. The
    printer goes through a purging process, which uses up about 5-7% of the
    ink in each of the cartridges (all of them). Then, a few sheets later,
    the cyan runs out, once again, 5-7% of the ink is purges out of all the
    cartridges, a few sheets later, the magenta runs out, and the process is
    repeated again. So instead of one purge, you have now had 3 separate
    ones, each using up 5% or so of the ink per cartridge. I don't see how
    that necessarily saves ink.

    If each cartridge had a separate cleaning station and purge pump, yes,
    the saving would add up over time, but not when the purging process is
    universal.

    Art

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling
    >>through both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
    >>
    >>Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200
    >>colour resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask
    >>for much do I). I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but
    >>find one I like and then discover you have to buy the different
    >>colours seperately.
    >

    > Just think about what you've said for a moment. Why is buying a combination
    > cartridge more economical than buying them separately?! You really haven't
    > thought this through, have you?! When a standard tri-colour tank registers
    > empty, it could be that just *ONE* of the colours has expired, the others
    > could still be very nearly full. Say said cartridge cost £30 (about average
    > for an OEM) - you could very well be throwing £20 in the bin - throwing your
    > money away - literally.
    >
    > Separate tanks makes sound economic sense. £80 would buy you an R200 and
    > cartridges for which are £9.60 each (all colours) (or £57.56 for a complete
    > set). JetTec compatibles (which I use and give me excellent prints) are
    > £5.50 each or £51.35 for a set of 12 (a saving of nearly £15 over buying
    > them separately). The JetTec tanks also have nearly a third more ink than
    > the originals.
    >

    >>If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with
    >>cheap refills I would be very grateful.

    Don't be fooled by resolution claims by printer manufacturers. Once
    upon a time they had some meaning, but today they are more for show
    than anything.

    More important, is dot size, variable dot size ability, speed of
    printing, cost of ink, and ultimately the technology and how well it
    produces the prints (color balance, etc).

    Some Epson's now claim 5760 dpi, but what does that really mean when you
    cannot see differences after about 1440 dpi? It means a very slow
    printing job!

    Looking at real output is much more important than specs, allow your
    eyes to be the judge.

    Art

    Steve wrote:

    > Clever thinking batman, any idea what the resolution is on said printer, ive
    > been looking at an Epson Stylus c82, they dont seem bad.
    >
    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    >
    >>Steve wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling
    >>>through both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
    >>>
    >>>Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200
    >>>colour resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask
    >>>for much do I). I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but
    >>>find one I like and then discover you have to buy the different
    >>>colours seperately.
    >>

    >>Just think about what you've said for a moment. Why is buying a
    >>combination cartridge more economical than buying them separately?! You
    >>really haven't thought this through, have you?! When a standard tri-colour
    >>tank registers empty, it could be that just *ONE* of the colours has
    >>expired, the others could still be very nearly full. Say said cartridge
    >>cost £30 (about average for an OEM) - you could very well be throwing £20
    >>in the bin - throwing your money away - literally.
    >>
    >>Separate tanks makes sound economic sense. £80 would buy you an R200 and
    >>cartridges for which are £9.60 each (all colours) (or £57.56 for a
    >>complete set). JetTec compatibles (which I use and give me excellent
    >>prints) are £5.50 each or £51.35 for a set of 12 (a saving of nearly £15
    >>over buying them separately). The JetTec tanks also have nearly a third
    >>more ink than the originals.
    >>

    >>>If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with
    >>>cheap refills I would be very grateful.
    >>

    >>--
    >>My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
    >>lose his marbles?

    STFW??????

    cant be good if its in capitals!!

    > Steve wrote:
    >> Clever thinking batman, any idea what the resolution is on said
    >> printer, ive been looking at an Epson Stylus c82, they dont seem bad.
    >
    > Here's an idea - why don't you STFW?!
    >

    > --
    > My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
    > lose his marbles?

    I always bought Epson printers until I had major problems with the
    Printheads on the 830u. Since then I changed to Canon and have had no
    problems at all.
    I started with a Canon MP370 and was very pleased with the results, the
    running cost were low, new black - £4, new - colour cartridge £8.50,
    refilling the cartridges at Cartridge World cost me £3 & £7.50 respectively.
    I then found that I needed to Print considerably more that I had before so I
    changed to a Canon i865 (most pc magazines rated this as the cheapest inkjet
    printer to run and also of the highest quality).
    I never had any problems with this printer, indeed my son uses it now(after
    2 years of heavy use), I have now got one of the new Canon Pixma Ip4000
    printers and must say I am amazed at it's quality both of build and Printing
    quality. It uses the same individual cartridges as the i865 and has
    additional features. The running costs are very low. New black BCi-3ebk is
    £5.50, £4.50 to refill, second black Bci-6bk and the individual colours
    Bc1-6c, m, and y are £5.00 to buy, £4 to refill.
    Unlike epson cartridges these can be used fully.
    I have had no problems with this machine and would reccommend it or the
    Ip3000 to anyone.
    Regards
    Dave
    "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:22:18 -0000, "Steve"
    > <steveh@NOSPAMhunkys.fslife.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling through
    >>both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
    >
    > Don't buy another Lexmark.
    >
    >>Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour
    >>resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do
    >>I).
    >>I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like and
    >>then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.
    >
    > Ah, I see you want a decent printer so you won't be buying another
    > Lexmark then.
    >
    > Just a word of advice - the cost of the cartridges in terms of pages
    > per cartridge is usually in inverse proportion to the cost of the
    > printer.
    > --
    >
    > Hecate - The Real One
    > Hecate@newsguy.com