After a new printer!

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling through
both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.

Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour
resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do I).
I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like and
then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.

If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with cheap
refills I would be very grateful.

Steve wrote:
> Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling
> through both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
>
> Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200
> colour resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask
> for much do I). I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but
> find one I like and then discover you have to buy the different
> colours seperately.

Just think about what you've said for a moment. Why is buying a combination
cartridge more economical than buying them separately?! You really haven't
thought this through, have you?! When a standard tri-colour tank registers
empty, it could be that just *ONE* of the colours has expired, the others
could still be very nearly full. Say said cartridge cost £30 (about average
for an OEM) - you could very well be throwing £20 in the bin - throwing your
money away - literally.

Separate tanks makes sound economic sense. £80 would buy you an R200 and
cartridges for which are £9.60 each (all colours) (or £57.56 for a complete
set). JetTec compatibles (which I use and give me excellent prints) are
£5.50 each or £51.35 for a set of 12 (a saving of nearly £15 over buying
them separately). The JetTec tanks also have nearly a third more ink than
the originals.

> If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with
> cheap refills I would be very grateful.

lose his marbles?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Clever thinking batman, any idea what the resolution is on said printer, ive
been looking at an Epson Stylus c82, they dont seem bad.

> Steve wrote:
>> Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling
>> through both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
>>
>> Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200
>> colour resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask
>> for much do I). I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but
>> find one I like and then discover you have to buy the different
>> colours seperately.
>

> Just think about what you've said for a moment. Why is buying a
> combination cartridge more economical than buying them separately?! You
> really haven't thought this through, have you?! When a standard tri-colour
> tank registers empty, it could be that just *ONE* of the colours has
> expired, the others could still be very nearly full. Say said cartridge
> cost £30 (about average for an OEM) - you could very well be throwing £20
> in the bin - throwing your money away - literally.
>
> Separate tanks makes sound economic sense. £80 would buy you an R200 and
> cartridges for which are £9.60 each (all colours) (or £57.56 for a
> complete set). JetTec compatibles (which I use and give me excellent
> prints) are £5.50 each or £51.35 for a set of 12 (a saving of nearly £15
> over buying them separately). The JetTec tanks also have nearly a third
> more ink than the originals.
>
>> If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with
>> cheap refills I would be very grateful.
>

> --
> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> lose his marbles?

JimW

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004

Try the C84 . It is great and the seperate carts (compatible) are also great
and cheap...
I get carts from printpal.com

Steve wrote:

> Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling through
> both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
>
> Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour
> resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do I).
> I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like and
> then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.
>
> If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with cheap
> refills I would be very grateful.

You do have to buy the colours separately and that is what makes the ink costs
much cheaper because you don't have to replace a whole multi-colour cartridge
when one colour runs out.

I use 5-10 times more photo magenta and photo-cyan than the other colours in my
printer. It would cost me a small fortune to replace all colours at once just
because the PM or PC ran out if they were all in one cartridge.

--
Ben Thomas
given nor endorsed by it.

bill

BenOne© wrote:

>> Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour

Pretty much all current printers should get better resolution than that.

>> resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do I).
>> I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like and

In my experience while recently shopping for a new printer, Epson has
reasonable ink costs, but they have an integrated printhead which is not
user-serviceable and replacement cost is far too high. Clogging seems to
be an issue, but results vary.

Canon has reasonable costs, but they have a replaceable printhead that
costs a fair amount to purchase. Reliability seems to be an issue, but
results vary.

HP has reasonable costs, and the printheads are integrated into the
cartridges so reliability is not usually an issue.

Lexmark seems to be the most expensive for ink costs. They have
printheads in the cartridges, so reliability is not usually an issue.

>> then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.

Some people believe that separate ink cartridges are a benefit. In my
experience, the typical consumption level of inks is reasonably equal,
so either format is acceptable.

>> If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with cheap
>> refills I would be very grateful.

I suggest you stick with Canon, Epson, or HP. Lexmark is not an option
due to high ink costs.

When shopping around, I eliminated Lexmark from the list rather quickly.
I also removed Epson after considering reliability of the integrated
printhead. Canon performs well, but having to replace the printhead at
high cost pushed it off the list.

I settled on an HP printer. It's a mid-priced unit with excellent
output, high speed, reasonable ink costs, and high reliability. It's one
of the best and highest rated performers at this current point in time.
Side by side comparisons of text, graphics, and photos, reveal that it's
slightly better than my Canon was using just four colours. Using the
photo cartridge it's even nicer.

>You do have to buy the colours separately and that is what makes the ink costs
>much cheaper because you don't have to replace a whole multi-colour cartridge
>when one colour runs out.

I don't know about "much cheaper".

My now-defunct Canon i850 consumed all three of the colour inks (CMY) at
pretty much the same rate. The levels were so close that it made any
potential savings not worth considering.

>I use 5-10 times more photo magenta and photo-cyan than the other colours in my
>printer. It would cost me a small fortune to replace all colours at once just
>because the PM or PC ran out if they were all in one cartridge.

While it's generally true that six colour printers use photo colours
faster than the regular colours, I know of no printer that uses
completely integrated colour cartridges like that. The photo and colour
cartridges are separate.

For example, my HP printer uses a tri-colour cartridge with C/M/Y, and a
photo cartridge with PM/PC/PB.

Steve wrote:
> Clever thinking batman, any idea what the resolution is on said
> printer, ive been looking at an Epson Stylus c82, they dont seem bad.

Here's an idea - why don't you STFW?!

lose his marbles?

BURT

check out this website - http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html -
long and rambling, but good information. I followed his advice, bought a
canon I960, Computer Friends refill plugs, and MIS inks and am really happy
with this setup. I had an Epson Stylus 900 which was more a general use
printer with color print capabilities. The color prints looked quite good
to me until I compared them to the prints from the Canon at high
magnification. Refilling is easy once you get into it. My epson did
partially clog and required cleaning techniques beyond running cleaning
cycles. The Canon I960 cost about $150 in the US as it is being phased out.
I don't know if there is a UK model that is equivalent.

> Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling through
> both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
>
> Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour
> resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do
> I). I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like
> and then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.
>
> If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with cheap
> refills I would be very grateful.

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:22:18 -0000, "Steve"
<steveh@NOSPAMhunkys.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling through
>both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.

Don't buy another Lexmark.

>Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200 colour
>resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask for much do I).
>I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but find one I like and
>then discover you have to buy the different colours seperately.

Ah, I see you want a decent printer so you won't be buying another
Lexmark then.

Just a word of advice - the cost of the cartridges in terms of pages
per cartridge is usually in inverse proportion to the cost of the
printer.
--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:17:14 -0000, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Separate tanks makes sound economic sense. £80 would buy you an R200 and
> cartridges for which are £9.60 each (all colours) (or £57.56 for a complete
> set). JetTec compatibles (which I use and give me excellent prints) are
> £5.50 each or £51.35 for a set of 12 (a saving of nearly £15 over buying
> them separately). The JetTec tanks also have nearly a third more ink than
> the originals.

I use the R210 which is the equivalent in NZ to the R200 in the UK. I
have been reading about the JetTec replacement cartridges and wondered
how they compare with the original Epson cartridge?

You mention that they give excellent prints, in your opinion does the
colour match the Epson cartridges, or is there a difference?

Do you actually get a third more prints from the JetTec cartridges?

The cost difference in NZ isn't great, so the selling point to me
would be the third more ink increase. Looking at the JetTec web site
I'm not sure that the cartridge contains a third more ink, or they
achieve the extra prints though using the ink in the cartridge until
empty. If this is the case what is the possibly of print head
clogging?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

"John" <john@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:17:14 -0000, Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Do you actually get a third more prints from the JetTec cartridges?
>
> The cost difference in NZ isn't great, so the selling point to me
> would be the third more ink increase. Looking at the JetTec web site
> I'm not sure that the cartridge contains a third more ink, or they
> achieve the extra prints though using the ink in the cartridge until
> empty. If this is the case what is the possibly of print head
> clogging?

If you had read the site you maybe should have noticed the guarantee :) The
single C80 C84 C86 carts contain 13ml of ink the C88 32ml. The extra 3rd is
achieved by using the ink that Epson believe you should throw away.
Most of this is repeated on the sites below - but you do have to read it.
However if your print head burns out and zooms down the road like a red hot
comet please let me know. I should be able to catch it on its second orbit.
Tony
--
Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
http://www.inkylinkusa.com 30% more ink

I know you'd like to believe this is true. In fact, regardless of
independent lab tests and the experiences of many using tricolor
cartridges that show otherwise, you continue to make this claim.

Yes, in the case of low dye load colors (light magenta and cyan), the
usual use, and the way the drivers are designed, these colors are used
at about twice the volume of high dye load colors, like CMY.

Otherwise, with standard CMY tri-color cartridges, other than in quite
unusual usage, the colors tend to run out nearly at the same time. Most
often yellow will run out first, with cyan and magenta in one order or
the other) running out next, usually leaving only 5-15% of the ink left
over.

Now, admittedly, at the price of ink cartridges, no one wishes to waste
ink. However, there is a flaw in the argument that using individual
color cartridges is any great savings, if any at all. Firstly, you have
to look at cost per amount of ink, or page count. An individual color
cartridge may cost more per ink use.

Secondly, there is another scenario to consider. When you install a
tri-color cartridge, the printer goes through a purging process which
takes out equal amounts of each color. With most modern Epson printers
(and probably most others) the black ink cartridge is also purged at the
same time. Now, consider what happens with individual cartridges.
Let's say the yellow runs out first, so you put in a new yellow. The
printer goes through a purging process, which uses up about 5-7% of the
ink in each of the cartridges (all of them). Then, a few sheets later,
the cyan runs out, once again, 5-7% of the ink is purges out of all the
cartridges, a few sheets later, the magenta runs out, and the process is
repeated again. So instead of one purge, you have now had 3 separate
ones, each using up 5% or so of the ink per cartridge. I don't see how
that necessarily saves ink.

If each cartridge had a separate cleaning station and purge pump, yes,
the saving would add up over time, but not when the purging process is
universal.

Art

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>>Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling
>>through both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
>>
>>Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200
>>colour resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask
>>for much do I). I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but
>>find one I like and then discover you have to buy the different
>>colours seperately.
>

> Just think about what you've said for a moment. Why is buying a combination
> cartridge more economical than buying them separately?! You really haven't
> thought this through, have you?! When a standard tri-colour tank registers
> empty, it could be that just *ONE* of the colours has expired, the others
> could still be very nearly full. Say said cartridge cost £30 (about average
> for an OEM) - you could very well be throwing £20 in the bin - throwing your
> money away - literally.
>
> Separate tanks makes sound economic sense. £80 would buy you an R200 and
> cartridges for which are £9.60 each (all colours) (or £57.56 for a complete
> set). JetTec compatibles (which I use and give me excellent prints) are
> £5.50 each or £51.35 for a set of 12 (a saving of nearly £15 over buying
> them separately). The JetTec tanks also have nearly a third more ink than
> the originals.
>

>>If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with
>>cheap refills I would be very grateful.

Don't be fooled by resolution claims by printer manufacturers. Once
upon a time they had some meaning, but today they are more for show
than anything.

More important, is dot size, variable dot size ability, speed of
printing, cost of ink, and ultimately the technology and how well it
produces the prints (color balance, etc).

Some Epson's now claim 5760 dpi, but what does that really mean when you
cannot see differences after about 1440 dpi? It means a very slow
printing job!

Looking at real output is much more important than specs, allow your
eyes to be the judge.

Art

Steve wrote:

> Clever thinking batman, any idea what the resolution is on said printer, ive
> been looking at an Epson Stylus c82, they dont seem bad.
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
>
>>Steve wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, Im looking at upgrading my Lexmark Z32 and after ages trawling
>>>through both Printer and Cartridge sites are still none the wiser.
>>>
>>>Im trying to find a decent printer (preferably with above 1200x1200
>>>colour resolution) with the cheapest cartridges possible (dont ask
>>>for much do I). I seem to find Epson the cheapest for cartridges but
>>>find one I like and then discover you have to buy the different
>>>colours seperately.
>>

>>Just think about what you've said for a moment. Why is buying a
>>combination cartridge more economical than buying them separately?! You
>>really haven't thought this through, have you?! When a standard tri-colour
>>tank registers empty, it could be that just *ONE* of the colours has
>>expired, the others could still be very nearly full. Say said cartridge
>>cost £30 (about average for an OEM) - you could very well be throwing £20
>>in the bin - throwing your money away - literally.
>>
>>Separate tanks makes sound economic sense. £80 would buy you an R200 and
>>cartridges for which are £9.60 each (all colours) (or £57.56 for a
>>complete set). JetTec compatibles (which I use and give me excellent
>>prints) are £5.50 each or £51.35 for a set of 12 (a saving of nearly £15
>>over buying them separately). The JetTec tanks also have nearly a third
>>more ink than the originals.
>>

>>>If any one could recommend a good printer in the £50-80 bracket with
>>>cheap refills I would be very grateful.
>>

>>--
>>My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
>>lose his marbles?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

STFW??????

cant be good if its in capitals!!

> Steve wrote:
>> Clever thinking batman, any idea what the resolution is on said
>> printer, ive been looking at an Epson Stylus c82, they dont seem bad.
>
> Here's an idea - why don't you STFW?!
>

> --
> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> lose his marbles?

I always bought Epson printers until I had major problems with the
Printheads on the 830u. Since then I changed to Canon and have had no
problems at all.
I started with a Canon MP370 and was very pleased with the results, the
running cost were low, new black - £4, new - colour cartridge £8.50,
refilling the cartridges at Cartridge World cost me £3 & £7.50 respectively.
I then found that I needed to Print considerably more that I had before so I
changed to a Canon i865 (most pc magazines rated this as the cheapest inkjet
printer to run and also of the highest quality).
I never had any problems with this printer, indeed my son uses it now(after
2 years of heavy use), I have now got one of the new Canon Pixma Ip4000
printers and must say I am amazed at it's quality both of build and Printing
quality. It uses the same individual cartridges as the i865 and has
additional features. The running costs are very low. New black BCi-3ebk is
£5.50, £4.50 to refill, second black Bci-6bk and the individual colours
Bc1-6c, m, and y are £5.00 to buy, £4 to refill.
Unlike epson cartridges these can be used fully.
I have had no problems with this machine and would reccommend it or the
Ip3000 to anyone.
Regards
Dave