terminal client

i hope view 16bit on a windows 2000 profasional
how can do it

The color depth is a feature of the rdp version on the server, not on
the client (well, on the client also, but you can install rdp 5.2 on
your Windows 2000 Professional computer).

If you are connecting to a Windows 2000 Terminal Server, you can only
get 256 colors, since the server runs rdp 5.0 and can't handle more
colors.

Upgrade the server to 2003, or run Citrix on top of Windows 2000
Server.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"amouse" <temp@temp.com> wrote on 26 okt 2004:

> i hope view 16bit on a windows 2000 profasional
> how can do it

> If you are connecting to a Windows 2000 Terminal Server, you can only
> get 256 colors, since the server runs rdp 5.0 and can't handle more
> colors.

Is it inpossible to just upgrade the rdp 5.0 to better version on the server
(win2000 server) ??
In my lan this 256 colours is the only problem, and it would be nice to
solve it without upgrading the whole server for that reason only.

"Voihan Thin" <Nyt.ottaa.aavistuksen@aivoon.net> wrote on 29 okt
2004:

>> If you are connecting to a Windows 2000 Terminal Server, you
>> can only get 256 colors, since the server runs rdp 5.0 and
>> can't handle more colors.
>
> Is it inpossible to just upgrade the rdp 5.0 to better version
> on the server (win2000 server) ??
> In my lan this 256 colours is the only problem, and it would be
> nice to solve it without upgrading the whole server for that
> reason only.

Yes, that's impossible.

--

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> "Voihan Thin" <Nyt.ottaa.aavistuksen@aivoon.net> wrote on 29 okt
> 2004:
>
> >> If you are connecting to a Windows 2000 Terminal Server, you
> >> can only get 256 colors, since the server runs rdp 5.0 and
> >> can't handle more colors.
> >
> > Is it inpossible to just upgrade the rdp 5.0 to better version
> > on the server (win2000 server) ??
> > In my lan this 256 colours is the only problem, and it would be
> > nice to solve it without upgrading the whole server for that
> > reason only.
>
> Yes, that's impossible.

** I do not want to believe it ;-D I have found solutions to "impossible"
problems before. Is it really impossible to "take the rdp 5.2 from w3k
server and put it in to the w2k" ??
And if it really is the final truth, there is a place for some programmer to
develope a new rdp server to w2k. I am sure that there are many firms that
are happy to pay something for that kind of solutions. We would ;-)

"Voihan Thin" <Nyt.ottaa.aavistuksen@aivoon.net> wrote on 29 okt
2004:

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> "Voihan Thin" <Nyt.ottaa.aavistuksen@aivoon.net> wrote on 29
>> okt 2004:

>> > Is it inpossible to just upgrade the rdp 5.0 to better
>> > version on the server (win2000 server) ??
>> > In my lan this 256 colours is the only problem, and it would
>> > be nice to solve it without upgrading the whole server for
>> > that reason only.
>>
>> Yes, that's impossible.
>
> ** I do not want to believe it ;-D I have found solutions to
> "impossible" problems before. Is it really impossible to "take
> the rdp 5.2 from w3k server and put it in to the w2k" ??
> And if it really is the final truth, there is a place for some
> programmer to develope a new rdp server to w2k. I am sure that
> there are many firms that are happy to pay something for that
> kind of solutions. We would ;-)

Well, if you believe it is possible to "take the rdp 5.2 from w3k
server and put it in to the w2k", I suggest you go on and try it.

The only way to get more than 256 colors on a Terminal Server is
through 3th party add-on products or by upgrading to 2003 TS.