vpn-router connect - who is expert?

hallo!... i´ve got 2 pc (office and home).. the pc s are connected with
internet per netgear vpn router (both) fvs318..

pc s are working with windowsxp prof. ..

realized ip-update with dyndns.org...

using remotedesktop of windowsxp prof.

now, here is the phanomenon:
sometimes the remote-connection is working without any problem... also i can
ping the other pc..

other times i can ping the pc and remote-connection is not working, other
times i can not ping and not connect...

some time later... it might be possible to connect again... hm...

and all without changing anything!

because i get connected, the preferences and settings must be correct. i
thougt it could be an ip-update-problem... but i got an updater to ensure
updating... perhaps it has something to do with the domain?... actually.. i
don´t know why the vpn-connection works and works not ... works .. and works
not...

do you have any information that could help me to fix that problem?...

thank u tons

jo
3 answers Last reply
More about router connect expert

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:57:27 +0200, "jo"
    <anwalt.schneider@t-online.de> wrote:

    >i thougt it could be an ip-update-problem... but i got an updater to ensure
    >updating

    If the IP address changes the connection will be lost. You have to
    reestablish it manually even though you now have an updated IP.

    >perhaps it has something to do with the domain?

    What domain?

    --

    Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

    "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
    --David Crockett

    thank you for your help!

    but if i have to reestablish manually... how can i do this ?... thought the
    vpn-router does this job automatically... am i wrong? i set my
    dyndns.org-adress in the router (for exp. "jo.dyndns.org") and the router
    tells to dyndns.org the ip.. don´t know how i could reestablish manually...
    hm

    "Bob" <spam@spam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:57:27 +0200, "jo"
    > <anwalt.schneider@t-online.de> wrote:
    >
    > >i thougt it could be an ip-update-problem... but i got an updater to
    ensure
    > >updating
    >
    > If the IP address changes the connection will be lost. You have to
    > reestablish it manually even though you now have an updated IP.
    >
    > >perhaps it has something to do with the domain?
    >
    > What domain?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    > http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
    >
    > "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
    > --David Crockett

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:04:10 +0200, "jo"
    <anwalt.schneider@t-online.de> wrote:

    >but if i have to reestablish manually... how can i do this ?...

    Just reconnect the same way you connected initially.

    > thought the
    >vpn-router does this job automatically... am i wrong?

    The router knows nothing about your connection unless it is a
    dedicated VPN router.

    > i set my
    >dyndns.org-adress in the router (for exp. "jo.dyndns.org") and the router
    >tells to dyndns.org the ip..

    That's not how it works. Dynamic DNS puts an agent in your machine
    that continually asks "what is my IP?". The response is placed in
    <jo.dyndns.prg> for others to look up. The PPTP VPN software only
    checks for the IP when it connects, so if the connection is lost, you
    have to reestablish it manually.

    >don´t know how i could reestablish manually...

    I meant "reestablish the VPN connection" that was broken when your ISP
    changed the IP address.

    You need static IP addresses for a stable VPN.

    As I believe I mentioned, this is just one of many possible causes of
    the lost connection. It is not very likely because once your ISP gives
    you a WAN address, it stays for a long time unless you power down the
    modem.

    --

    Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

    "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
    --David Crockett

vpn Routers Connection Networking