Soundcard with speakers and headset working together?

jester77

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Hi
I have an audigy 2 zs and logitech z680 speakers. I've been trying to connect a headset, something I thought should be straight forward. The control panel of my speakers has a auxillary line-in and a headphone socket. I have connected the headset and can hear sound but my voice is not being recorded. In my sound control panel I have tried setting recording to all options but my voice is not being picked up by any.
My soundcard is connected using analog to the speakers and there are 2 free connections for line-in and microphone. I don't want to have to pull out my PC and disconnect the speakers everytime I want to use the headset, not an option.
What am I doing wrong here or is this even possible?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
If your speakers have stereo out, then all you need to do is plug the mincrophone into the sound card. If you dont have the jacks on the front panel or top of you case, then you have to stretch the cord.

I dont know much about your speakers, but it sounds like you can run a cable from the speakers controll panel mic-out to your sound card and just plug the mic into your speakers control pannel. If you cant, then its going to be very odd wireing if you dont want to unhook your speakers.

Another option is to have a splitter coming from the back of the sound card... That way you wont have to mess with cables all the time.

I aviod that problem buy sticking with a desktop microphone though.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I was looking at a pic of our speakers, and the port to the right of the headphones in a stereo-in. Its for plugging somthing like you Ipod into the front to play the audio over the speakers.

jester77

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Thanks Clob,

I guess then that stereo in is not a possibility then!

hmm, my headset has a short lead between the break of the ear-piece and the microphone. Guess I could plug in my headset into the microphone jack on my soundcard and leave the other jack for the ear piece hanging out and then when I need to use my headset I could move the control panel onto the ground and plug my ear-piece jack into the headphone socket. Looks like the best option to me, although a litlle awkward!

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Yeah. Since I enjoy using my speakers amp to power my headphones, I went and got a $5 desktop microphone. Ben working great for a long time now!

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
don't know much about speakers but maybe you should check your sound controls and see if the microphone is set to mute or low volume, it happens to me all the time lol