Thinkpad R40 processor upgrade

joe_canadian69

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I have a Thinkpad R40 2723-3xu and i've upgraded everything I could so far except for the processor. Right now there is a 1.3ghz/400/1Mb cache Pentium M processor in it.
I have a 1.73ghz/533/ 2Mb cache Pentium M that I want to put into the machine. I was wondering if it was safe to do that, could any otherhardware be in the damaged? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe_Canadian69

endyen

Splendid
Changing chips in a laptop is tough. If you are sure you can do it, it's worth a try.
It's only a 50/50 chance it will work, but if it doesn't work, you wont damage anything (unless your hands do). If it doesn't boot, just put the old chip back in. (easier said than done, I know)

hunterman223

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009

Hi, I know this thread is really old and all, but did it work? My R40 has a 1.5Ghz Pentium M, and would also like to upgrade it. Thanks

Aikimox

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

Hi,
I'm in a same boat, trying to upgrade the 1.5 Pentium M in my R40 2723.
What I know for sure - it can accept a Pentium M (Banias) up to 1.7ghz.
The process is fairly simple, all you gotta do is follow the service manual.
It takes about 5-10 min to replace the CPU.
I'm actually looking for a way to land a Dothan (2.1ghz) processor in there, but it requires a huge deal of messing with the BIOS and so far it looks almost impossible, since I don't have any experience in editing BIOS files.
If anyone can point me to the right direction, that will be great.

Kind Regards,
Aikimox

kennyhendrick

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Hey guys,

This is kenny and I'm here to let you know that we have installed a 2.2Ghz processor in our r40 laptop (it was given toward another laptop we had for sale + some cash).

In any event, I am religiously a linux advocate (why would I want an operating system one would have to walk around eggshells to use...like win*?)

The 2.2 seems to have a downside however...not sure yet really but my favorite distro doesn't care for the video much (the start up looks a little screwy) and there's not full compiz functionality (haven't got wobbly to work yet and not sure if it was my rushing installation and missing something or if it's the kind of sketchy processor or if it's that one bad sector on my hard drive).

So, that's the long-winded version of the answer to your question