Display problem with new hardware

tallica

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
ok im not quite sure of the cause of this problem so im going to post it in this forum.
From the beginning.. 2 days ago i bought a new cpu motherboard graphics card and 2 HDDs.
So as it stands my pc is athlon 64 3700+, Asus A8N5X pci-e mobo, 2x512 corsair value select RAM, ATI radeon x800 GTO 256mb pci-e, 2x SATA maxtor 160gig HDD. My PSU is a tagan 420w ATX2.0 so its fully compatible with my board and PCI-e card.
I proceeded to upgrade my old PC with the new cpu mobo gfx and hdds. when it was finished and id made sure there were no jumpers that needed setting i switched it on. Now the power seemed to be running through the computer, all the fans were working including on the gfx card but the monitor didnt come on. the monitor was working last nite on my old PC so i know its not that. The computer hasnt made any obvious beeps, just a really half hearted crunchy beep when i first press the power button in. Ive had problems like this before but after a few trys with a new pc it will work. this time it isnt. so far i have taken everythin out and stripped it down to the basics. Just the mobo, cpu, gfx card, 1 512 stick of ram, 1 new clean HDD and 1 CD drive and of course psu. it still is not getting anythin on the monitor. Ive tried resetting the cmos as well. i have the gfx power plugged in correctly. another thing, when the computer is on, i cant switch it off by the power switch and the reset switch wont work although these are connected correctly.i have to switch it off by the psu switch on the back.
Anyone have any ideas? any help would be brilliant, Thanks for reading and thanks in advance.

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
First off make sure everything is seated correctly. Next check to see if all power plugs on the mobo are also in and seated correctly ( the main power plug and then the 4pin close to the cpu. Hopefully its a seating problem with the hardware or power plugs!

Next try moveing the ram into a different slot and try to boot till you have tried all the slots ( try old ram that will work with the mobo or borrow a friends ram. See if a friend has a graphics card (pcie) to use on your mobo to see if its the card or mobo. Also swap out the psu and retry the troubleshooting again hopefully it will narrow it down to a faulty componet for you!

hope the headache doesn't turn into a migrine :wink:

good luck

tallica

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
My PSU is a bit confusing actually. it has a 20 pin and a 4 pin connector tied together which make the main 24 pin when linked together as 1 to fit on my board. then i have two 4 pin connectors tied together which link to make one 8 pin connector, they have p4/p8 written on the label. now there is a 4 pin socket by the cpu, but ive never used them on athlons before. im not sure whether there should be somethng plugged in here. i currently have the 24 pin connected but dont really want to plug the p4, 4 pin connector in, incase i harm my cpu with too much power.

Snale

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Suposing you have all the PSU conectors OK, I would go for a mobo repacement, seems it's defectuous. 8O

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
put that 4 pin in that connector next to the cpu, the phased power on the mobo is what regulates the power to the whole mobo so it won't fry anything
and mite be you problem

mastdesi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
i have the same problem with the same video card. but i used a power supply of 20 pin and then attached a convertor . 20 to 24 pin.

can anyone tell me how to solve the monitor issue?