Logged Off Immediately After Logon

Hi.

I performed a site survey at a new client's site.

They are definitely having some licensing issues.

Aside from the licensing issues, they are experiencing an issue where a
client is logged off immediately after logging on to the Windows 2003
Terminal Server.

At first, the problem appeared to be that the login was failing:

1.) The Terminal Server login window would appear.
2.) User would enter his username and password.
3.) The remote desktop would flash on the screen and then disappear.

When I checked the event logs, I see the following:

1.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 552 Logon attempt using
explicit credentials.
2.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 576 Special privileges
assigned to new logon.
3.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 528 Successful Logon.
4.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 538 User Logoff

So, it appears that the logon is actually successful, but the user is logged
off immediately after login. After several attempts (the number of attempts
is not consistent), the user is successfully able to logon and use the
remote desktop session. I have not been able to find errors of any type in
any of the event logs.

The only suspect item is the McAfee anti-virus which is set to start
automatically with each session. I am planning to uninstall McAfee as my
next troubleshooting step unless someone else might have some other idea.

Thank You.

Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.

Check to see if they have an NVidia Display adapter that recently had a new
driver installed, then roll back to an older driver or use a generic SVGA
driver.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com

"Cary Kataoka" wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I performed a site survey at a new client's site.
>
> They are definitely having some licensing issues.
>
> Aside from the licensing issues, they are experiencing an issue where a
> client is logged off immediately after logging on to the Windows 2003
> Terminal Server.
>
> At first, the problem appeared to be that the login was failing:
>
> 1.) The Terminal Server login window would appear.
> 2.) User would enter his username and password.
> 3.) The remote desktop would flash on the screen and then disappear.
>
> When I checked the event logs, I see the following:
>
> 1.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 552 Logon attempt using
> explicit credentials.
> 2.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 576 Special privileges
> assigned to new logon.
> 3.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 528 Successful Logon.
> 4.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 538 User Logoff
>
> So, it appears that the logon is actually successful, but the user is logged
> off immediately after login. After several attempts (the number of attempts
> is not consistent), the user is successfully able to logon and use the
> remote desktop session. I have not been able to find errors of any type in
> any of the event logs.
>
> The only suspect item is the McAfee anti-virus which is set to start
> automatically with each session. I am planning to uninstall McAfee as my
> next troubleshooting step unless someone else might have some other idea.
>
> Thank You.
>
> Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
> CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.

Hi Patrick.

The customer has a number of configurations in their organization. There
are about 30 clients altogether; about 10 local and 20 in 4 remote offices
connecting through the VPN (IPSEC through SnapGear appliances). I have been
able to reproduce the problem on local systems including my notebook which
has an integrated ATI Radeon Mobility graphics chip.

As a result of the above, I don't think that this is an issue caused by an
NVidia display adapter. However, I will try the SVGA driver on one of the
systems next time I'm on site (hopefully this week) to see if there is any
improvement and report back here.

"Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <PatrickRouseMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:9B0AF1F5-F37C-4F13-956F-9FC7120341F3@microsoft.com...
> Check to see if they have an NVidia Display adapter that recently had a
new
> driver installed, then roll back to an older driver or use a generic SVGA
> driver.
>
> Patrick Rouse
> Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://www.workthin.com
>
> "Cary Kataoka" wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I performed a site survey at a new client's site.
> >
> > They are definitely having some licensing issues.
> >
> > Aside from the licensing issues, they are experiencing an issue where a
> > client is logged off immediately after logging on to the Windows 2003
> > Terminal Server.
> >
> > At first, the problem appeared to be that the login was failing:
> >
> > 1.) The Terminal Server login window would appear.
> > 2.) User would enter his username and password.
> > 3.) The remote desktop would flash on the screen and then disappear.
> >
> > When I checked the event logs, I see the following:
> >
> > 1.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 552 Logon attempt
using
> > explicit credentials.
> > 2.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 576 Special privileges
> > assigned to new logon.
> > 3.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 528 Successful Logon.
> > 4.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 538 User Logoff
> >
> > So, it appears that the logon is actually successful, but the user is
logged
> > off immediately after login. After several attempts (the number of
attempts
> > is not consistent), the user is successfully able to logon and use the
> > remote desktop session. I have not been able to find errors of any type
in
> > any of the event logs.
> >
> > The only suspect item is the McAfee anti-virus which is set to start
> > automatically with each session. I am planning to uninstall McAfee as
my
> > next troubleshooting step unless someone else might have some other
idea.

> > Thank You.
> >
> > Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
> > CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.

I'm referring to the server's display adapter, not the client. There is a
known problem with some NVidia display driver's that showed up about 6 months
ago that caused the exact problem you're describing.

"Cary Kataoka" wrote:

> [...]
> > > assigned to new logon.
> > > 3.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 528 Successful Logon.
> > > 4.) Time 4:37:29PM Type: Success A Event ID: 538 User Logoff
> > >
> > > So, it appears that the logon is actually successful, but the user is
> logged
> > > off immediately after login. After several attempts (the number of
> attempts
> > > is not consistent), the user is successfully able to logon and use the
> > > remote desktop session. I have not been able to find errors of any type
> in
> > > any of the event logs.
> > >
> > > The only suspect item is the McAfee anti-virus which is set to start
> > > automatically with each session. I am planning to uninstall McAfee as
> my
> > > next troubleshooting step unless someone else might have some other

Oh...okay...I will check it.

Thank You.

Cary Katoaka (caryk@cjrk.com)

"Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm referring to the server's display adapter, not the client. There is a
> known problem with some NVidia display driver's that showed up about 6
months
> ago that caused the exact problem you're describing.
>
> "Cary Kataoka" wrote:
>
> > Hi Patrick.
> >
> > The customer has a number of configurations in their organization.
There
> > are about 30 clients altogether; about 10 local and 20 in 4 remote
offices
> > connecting through the VPN (IPSEC through SnapGear appliances). I have
been
> > able to reproduce the problem on local systems including my notebook
which
> > has an integrated ATI Radeon Mobility graphics chip.
> >
> > As a result of the above, I don't think that this is an issue caused by
an
> > NVidia display adapter. However, I will try the SVGA driver on one of
the
> > systems next time I'm on site (hopefully this week) to see if there is
any
> > improvement and report back here.
> >
> > Thank You.
> >
> > Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
> > CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.
> >
> > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <PatrickRouseMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in
> > message news:9B0AF1F5-F37C-4F13-956F-9FC7120341F3@microsoft.com...
> > > Check to see if they have an NVidia Display adapter that recently had
> > new
> > > driver installed, then roll back to an older driver or use a generic
SVGA
> > > driver.
> > >
> > > Patrick Rouse
> > > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> > > http://www.workthin.com

> > using
Logon.

> > logged
> > attempts
> > in

> > my
> > idea.

Hi Patrick.

I have not been able to schedule a maintenance window on the Termainl Server
yet. However, I have been able to find out that the video card in the
server is an ATI Radeon 7000 4X AGP w/32MB RAM. Do you have any information
regarding this particular card and the symptoms described?

Thank You.

Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.

"Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm referring to the server's display adapter, not the client. There is a
> known problem with some NVidia display driver's that showed up about 6
months
> ago that caused the exact problem you're describing.
>
> "Cary Kataoka" wrote:
>
> > Hi Patrick.
> >
> > The customer has a number of configurations in their organization.
There
> > are about 30 clients altogether; about 10 local and 20 in 4 remote
offices
> > connecting through the VPN (IPSEC through SnapGear appliances). I have
been
> > able to reproduce the problem on local systems including my notebook
which
> > has an integrated ATI Radeon Mobility graphics chip.
> >
> > As a result of the above, I don't think that this is an issue caused by
an
> > NVidia display adapter. However, I will try the SVGA driver on one of
the
> > systems next time I'm on site (hopefully this week) to see if there is
any
> > improvement and report back here.
> >
> > Thank You.
> >
> > Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
> > CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.
> >
> > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]" <PatrickRouseMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in
> > message news:9B0AF1F5-F37C-4F13-956F-9FC7120341F3@microsoft.com...
> > > Check to see if they have an NVidia Display adapter that recently had
> > new
> > > driver installed, then roll back to an older driver or use a generic
SVGA
> > > driver.
> > >
> > > Patrick Rouse
> > > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> > > http://www.workthin.com

> > using
Logon.

> > logged
> > attempts
> > in

> > my
> > idea.

The problem which Patrick referred to is this:

Immediate logoffs are a known problem with some Nvidia drivers:
Nvidia drivers 56.72 or 56.64 both cause this problem.
Nvidia 2.20 WDMs works fine.
Driver version 53.04 found here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/pc_winxp-2k_53.04.html works OK.
Disabling the 'helper' NVIDIA service makes it work again.
(nvsvc32.exe listed in the Task Manager)

840655 - You are logged off a Remote Desktop session when you have
an NVIDIA video card installed in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840655

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Cary Kataoka" <caryk@cjrk.com> wrote on 18 nov 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

> Hi Patrick.
>
> I have not been able to schedule a maintenance window on the
> Termainl Server yet. However, I have been able to find out that
> the video card in the server is an ATI Radeon 7000 4X AGP w/32MB
> RAM. Do you have any information regarding this particular card
> and the symptoms described?
>
> Thank You.
>
> Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
> CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.
>
> "Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message
>> I'm referring to the server's display adapter, not the client.
>> There is a known problem with some NVidia display driver's that
>> showed up about 6
> months
>> ago that caused the exact problem you're describing.
>>
>> "Cary Kataoka" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Patrick.
>> >
>> > The customer has a number of configurations in their
>> > organization.
> There
>> > are about 30 clients altogether; about 10 local and 20 in 4
>> > remote
> offices
>> > connecting through the VPN (IPSEC through SnapGear
>> > appliances). I have
> been
>> > able to reproduce the problem on local systems including my
>> > notebook
> which
>> > has an integrated ATI Radeon Mobility graphics chip.
>> >
>> > As a result of the above, I don't think that this is an issue
>> > caused by
> an
>> > NVidia display adapter. However, I will try the SVGA driver
>> > on one of
> the
>> > systems next time I'm on site (hopefully this week) to see if
>> > there is
> any
>> > improvement and report back here.
>> >
>> > Thank You.
>> >
>> > Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
>> > CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.
>> >
>> > "Patrick Rouse [MVP]"
>> > <PatrickRouseMVP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in
>> > message
>> > new
> SVGA

> where a
> 2003

> disappear.

>> > using
> privileges
> Logon.

> is
>> > logged
>> > attempts
> the
> type
>> > in

> as
>> > my
>> > idea.

Hi Vera.

Thank you very much for the detailled information. Unfortunately, as I
mentioned in my previous post, the video card in the Terminal Server is an
ATI card. However, the symptoms described do very much mirror the problem
described in the kb article regarding the Nvidia driver. Do you know of any
other problems that would cause this symptom? I would appreciate any hint
you can provide.

I think it might be significant that once a logon is established, there is
no trouble repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting to that session.

Thank You.

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> The problem which Patrick referred to is this:
>
> Immediate logoffs are a known problem with some Nvidia drivers:
> Nvidia drivers 56.72 or 56.64 both cause this problem.
> Nvidia 2.20 WDMs works fine.
> Driver version 53.04 found here:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/pc_winxp-2k_53.04.html works OK.
> Disabling the 'helper' NVIDIA service makes it work again.
> (nvsvc32.exe listed in the Task Manager)
>
> 840655 - You are logged off a Remote Desktop session when you have
> an NVIDIA video card installed in Windows Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840655
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Cary Kataoka" <caryk@cjrk.com> wrote on 18 nov 2004 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>
> > Hi Patrick.
> >
> > I have not been able to schedule a maintenance window on the
> > Termainl Server yet. However, I have been able to find out that
> > the video card in the server is an ATI Radeon 7000 4X AGP w/32MB
> > RAM. Do you have any information regarding this particular card
> > and the symptoms described?
> >
> > Thank You.
> >
> > Cary Kataoka (caryk@cjrk.com)
> > CJRK Computer Consulting Inc.
> >
> > "Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > in message
> >> I'm referring to the server's display adapter, not the client.
> >> There is a known problem with some NVidia display driver's that
> >> showed up about 6
> > months
> >> ago that caused the exact problem you're describing.

> > There
> > offices
> > been
> > which

> > an
> > the
> > any

> > in
> > SVGA

> > where a
> > 2003

> > disappear.

> > privileges
> > Logon.

> > is
> > the
> > type

> > as

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus software? It should
definitively *not* start in every session.

--
> [...]

>> (nvsvc32.exe listed in the Task Manager)
>>
>> 840655 - You are logged off a Remote Desktop session when you
>> have an NVIDIA video card installed in Windows Server 2003
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840655
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Cary Kataoka" <caryk@cjrk.com> wrote on 18 nov 2004 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>>
>> > Hi Patrick.
>> >
>> > I have not been able to schedule a maintenance window on the
>> > Termainl Server yet. However, I have been able to find out
>> > that the video card in the server is an ATI Radeon 7000 4X
>> > AGP w/32MB RAM. Do you have any information regarding this
>> > particular card and the symptoms described?

I'll be trying that this week.