Outside view (spot plane?)

Hi,

In Flight Unlimited 3, we could position the camera angle of the view
outside the plane literally anywhere. With the left/right arrow keys
you could rotate the view 360 degrees around the horizontal axis of the
plane and with the up down keys you could rotate 360 degrees around the
vertical axis. Using a combination of the keys you could easily place
the camera view anywhere.

In FS2004 the outside view seems really clunky. You can move the
outside view to just one of 9 places with the numeric pad -- maybe a few
more using a combination of the 5 key and some others but it is very
very limited in comparison. Oh, and the zoom using the + and - keys
also has just a few course grained settings whereas in Flight Unlimited
3 you could zoom in and out with no real granularity (holding the keys
down gave a smooth zoom in or out).

So, am I missing something that gives me more control over this
important view or is that as good as it gets? Seems like it would have
been so simple for Microsoft to give this view the same capability as in
FU3. Thanks.

John Black

crash

John Black wrote:
> Hi,

If you have a joystick or yoke with a tophat view switch, it'll let you pan
around, up, down smoothly. If you don't, get one, you're missing out!

Hold shift while zooming with the - + keys and you'll get incremental
changes......

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don

"John Black" <jblack@texas.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In Flight Unlimited 3, we could position the camera angle of the view
> outside the plane literally anywhere.

So you can with FS2004. My Saitek joystick has a hat switch and using that I
can smoothly pan around the outside view at absolutely any angle I choose!
:0))

Iain

John Black wrote:

John,
I recommend F1_View from http://www.flight1.com.

It's free and simpler to use than Active Camera. Probably does all you want.

Cheers,

Quilly

"John Black" wrote:

> [..]
> So, am I missing something that gives me more control over this
> important view or is that as good as it gets? [..]

SHIFT+BACKSPACE
and
SHIFT+ ENTER
(up and down)

STRG+SHIFT+ENTER
and
STRG+SHIFT+BACKSPACE
(left and right)

+ and - together with SHIFT zooms
in smaller steps

Jan

"Jan Berg" <jan@epost.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "John Black" wrote:
>
>> [..]
>> So, am I missing something that gives me more control over this
>> important view or is that as good as it gets? [..]
>
> SHIFT+BACKSPACE
> and
> SHIFT+ ENTER
> (up and down)
>
> STRG+SHIFT+ENTER
> and
> STRG+SHIFT+BACKSPACE
> (left and right)
>
> + and - together with SHIFT zooms
> in smaller steps
>
> Jan

STRG = CTRL,
sorry!

In article <3b0fi5F69cqqdU1@individual.net>, wykehill-
flightsim@yahoo.co.uk says...
> John Black wrote:
>

> John,
> I recommend F1_View from http://www.flight1.com.
>
> It's free and simpler to use than Active Camera. Probably does all you want.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

Quilly, thanks but I can't find what you are talking about...

John Black

In article <d2f3lc$9e4$02$1@news.t-online.com>, jan@epost.de says...

> "Jan Berg" <jan@epost.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > "John Black" wrote:
> >
> >> [..]
> >> So, am I missing something that gives me more control over this
> >> important view or is that as good as it gets? [..]
> >
> > SHIFT+BACKSPACE
> > and
> > SHIFT+ ENTER
> > (up and down)
> >
> > STRG+SHIFT+ENTER
> > and
> > STRG+SHIFT+BACKSPACE
> > (left and right)
> >
> > + and - together with SHIFT zooms
> > in smaller steps
> >
> > Jan
> >

> STRG = CTRL,
> sorry!

Thanks to all who replied. I'll try this tonight.

Regarding using the joystick hats, I have a very nice CH Stick with
throttle wheel and trim wheels but the hats do not work in XP. I bought
the stick in the late 90s. It has an adapter to attach to the keyboard
port in addition to the game port as a way to get the hats to work but
XP doesn't really support that.

John Black

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

John Black wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied. I'll try this tonight.
>
> Regarding using the joystick hats, I have a very nice CH Stick with
> throttle wheel and trim wheels but the hats do not work in XP. I bought
> the stick in the late 90s. It has an adapter to attach to the keyboard
> port in addition to the game port as a way to get the hats to work but
> XP doesn't really support that.
>
> John Black

Will a USB adapter fix your problem? I believe I read you have a
gameport stick.
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

> Thanks to all who replied. I'll try this tonight.
>
> Regarding using the joystick hats, I have a very nice CH Stick with
> throttle wheel and trim wheels but the hats do not work in XP. I bought
> the stick in the late 90s. It has an adapter to attach to the keyboard
> port in addition to the game port as a way to get the hats to work but
> XP doesn't really support that.
>
> John Black

On XP (home), I'm using a 'legacy' set of CH pedals with either (depending
upon the aircraft) a CH FlightStick Pro or a Virtual Pilot Pro - all this
off the gameport of a Voyetra (Turtle) sound card. All the hats and buttons
work as they should. You might want to check your gameport installation.
Also there's a recent gameport driver download from CH.

....larry

In article <G_23e.1585$44.1208@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
labour@ix.netcom.com says...

> "John Black" <jblack@texas.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks to all who replied. I'll try this tonight.
> >
> > Regarding using the joystick hats, I have a very nice CH Stick with
> > throttle wheel and trim wheels but the hats do not work in XP. I bought
> > the stick in the late 90s. It has an adapter to attach to the keyboard
> > port in addition to the game port as a way to get the hats to work but
> > XP doesn't really support that.
> >
> > John Black
>
> On XP (home), I'm using a 'legacy' set of CH pedals with either (depending
> upon the aircraft) a CH FlightStick Pro or a Virtual Pilot Pro - all this
> off the gameport of a Voyetra (Turtle) sound card. All the hats and buttons
> work as they should. You might want to check your gameport installation.
> Also there's a recent gameport driver download from CH.

The problem with this particular stick (F16 Fighter I think) is that the
hat functions (there are several) all send keyboard commands. The idea
was that you could program the hats to send sophisticated keystroke
sequencies for various games (or just send hat commands). But all that
goes through the keyboard adapter -- the stick has both a gameport
adapter and a keyboard adapter and a device to allow you to share the
keyboard adapter with the real keyboard adapter. This is what doesn't
work on XP or maybe its my motherboard so I lose the hat functions. I
should just get a newer USB stick but this one is smoother than many I
have tried and the 4 buttons, throttle wheel and trim wheels work and it
works smoothly with my CH petals (and I'm lazy).

John Black

In article <tE%2e.1608$Xp.246@tornado.texas.rr.com>, akitaREMOVECAPS77
@excite.Icom says...
> John Black wrote:
>

> > Thanks to all who replied. I'll try this tonight.
> >
> > Regarding using the joystick hats, I have a very nice CH Stick with
> > throttle wheel and trim wheels but the hats do not work in XP. I bought
> > the stick in the late 90s. It has an adapter to attach to the keyboard
> > port in addition to the game port as a way to get the hats to work but
> > XP doesn't really support that.
> >
> > John Black
>
> Will a USB adapter fix your problem? I believe I read you have a
> gameport stick.

Yeah, one of these days I'll get a USB Joystick and petals which will
fix this problem. See my response to Larry for why I haven't done this
yet.

John Black