ZONE ALARM and VPN's

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

this is for all you poor slobs out there that can't make your vpn equipment
work. the router says you're connected, you can ping successfully, but you
just can't browse any of the network resources.

solution (at least in my case): long ago i used to have zone alarm installed
on my pc. i had since uninstalled it, but it was still lurking around enough
to cause problems with my ability to connect to another pc, via vpn. i took
the drastic approach and reformatted. now i can connect so as long as the pc
on the other end has NEVER had zone alarm installed on it. you may be able
to manually peel zone alarm off using reg edit, but i did not try this.
perhaps some other egg head out there would care to. right now, i'm too busy
doing back flips!

--

phoenix

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:19:12 GMT, 420 wrote:

> this is for all you poor slobs out there that can't make your vpn equipment
> work. the router says you're connected, you can ping successfully, but you
> just can't browse any of the network resources.
>
> solution (at least in my case): long ago i used to have zone alarm installed
> on my pc. i had since uninstalled it, but it was still lurking around enough
> to cause problems with my ability to connect to another pc, via vpn. i took
> the drastic approach and reformatted. now i can connect so as long as the pc
> on the other end has NEVER had zone alarm installed on it. you may be able
> to manually peel zone alarm off using reg edit, but i did not try this.
> perhaps some other egg head out there would care to. right now, i'm too busy
> doing back flips!

Absolute nonsense, Zonealarm (free & Pro) works fine with VPNs and always
has done with all the versions I've used including the current one.

Regards

Bill

420 wrote:
> solution (at least in my case): long ago i used to have zone alarm installed
> on my pc. i had since uninstalled it, but it was still lurking around enough
> to cause problems with my ability to connect to another pc, via vpn. i took
> the drastic approach and reformatted. now i can connect so as long as the pc
> on the other end has NEVER had zone alarm installed on it. you may be able

ZA works great for me and my PPTP connection.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

ooooooooooooooooh, "nonsense!" now you've done it! just for that, when i get
some time later, i'm gonna install my version of za on a pc who's vpn
connectivity is functional. ;)

"phoenix" <phoenix@fakeaddress.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:19:12 GMT, 420 wrote:
>
> > this is for all you poor slobs out there that can't make your vpn
equipment
> > work. the router says you're connected, you can ping successfully, but
you
> > just can't browse any of the network resources.
> >
> > solution (at least in my case): long ago i used to have zone alarm
installed
> > on my pc. i had since uninstalled it, but it was still lurking around
enough
> > to cause problems with my ability to connect to another pc, via vpn. i
took
> > the drastic approach and reformatted. now i can connect so as long as
the pc
> > on the other end has NEVER had zone alarm installed on it. you may be
able
> > to manually peel zone alarm off using reg edit, but i did not try this.
> > perhaps some other egg head out there would care to. right now, i'm too
busy
> > doing back flips!
>
> Absolute nonsense, Zonealarm (free & Pro) works fine with VPNs and always
> has done with all the versions I've used including the current one.
>
> Regards
>
> Bill

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 06:55:04 +0100, phoenix <phoenix@fakeaddress.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:19:12 GMT, 420 wrote:
>
>> this is for all you poor slobs out there that can't make your vpn equipment
>> work. the router says you're connected, you can ping successfully, but you
>> just can't browse any of the network resources.
>>
>> solution (at least in my case): long ago i used to have zone alarm installed
>> on my pc. i had since uninstalled it, but it was still lurking around enough
>> to cause problems with my ability to connect to another pc, via vpn. i took
>> the drastic approach and reformatted. now i can connect so as long as the pc
>> on the other end has NEVER had zone alarm installed on it. you may be able
>> to manually peel zone alarm off using reg edit, but i did not try this.
>> perhaps some other egg head out there would care to. right now, i'm too busy
>> doing back flips!
>
>Absolute nonsense, Zonealarm (free & Pro) works fine with VPNs and always
>has done with all the versions I've used including the current one.

You obviously were not around when ZL screwed up big time.

It's a virus, and you are welcome to it.

For those who do not want a known virus like ZA in their machine, use
Kerio. It's not only the best personal firewall available (the US Air
Force uses it), but it is free to the home user.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

phoenix

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:46:36 GMT, Bob wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 06:55:04 +0100, phoenix <phoenix@fakeaddress.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:19:12 GMT, 420 wrote:
>>
>>> this is for all you poor slobs out there that can't make your vpn equipment
>>> work. the router says you're connected, you can ping successfully, but you
>>> just can't browse any of the network resources.
>>>
>>> solution (at least in my case): long ago i used to have zone alarm installed
>>> on my pc. i had since uninstalled it, but it was still lurking around enough
>>> to cause problems with my ability to connect to another pc, via vpn. i took
>>> the drastic approach and reformatted. now i can connect so as long as the pc
>>> on the other end has NEVER had zone alarm installed on it. you may be able
>>> to manually peel zone alarm off using reg edit, but i did not try this.
>>> perhaps some other egg head out there would care to. right now, i'm too busy
>>> doing back flips!
>>
>>Absolute nonsense, Zonealarm (free & Pro) works fine with VPNs and always
>>has done with all the versions I've used including the current one.
>
> You obviously were not around when ZL screwed up big time.

I've had ZA installed since it was first released and never had a problem
with it and VPN.

> It's a virus, and you are welcome to it.

More nonsense.

> It's not only the best personal firewall available

There's no such thing as the *best* firewall, it may suit you but it won't
suit everyone.

> (the US Air Force uses it)

Says more about the US Air Force than it does about Kerio, not a great
recommendation.

> but it is free to the home user.

So is ZA.

Regards

Bill

Andrew

phoenix <phoenix@fakeaddress.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:19:12 GMT, 420 wrote:

>> this is for all you poor slobs out there that can't make your vpn equipment
>> work. the router says you're connected, you can ping successfully, but you
>> just can't browse any of the network resources.
>>
>> solution (at least in my case): long ago i used to have zone alarm installed
>> on my pc. i had since uninstalled it, but it was still lurking around enough
>> to cause problems with my ability to connect to another pc, via vpn. i took
>> the drastic approach and reformatted. now i can connect so as long as the pc
>> on the other end has NEVER had zone alarm installed on it. you may be able
>> to manually peel zone alarm off using reg edit, but i did not try this.
>> perhaps some other egg head out there would care to. right now, i'm too busy
>> doing back flips!

> Absolute nonsense, Zonealarm (free & Pro) works fine with VPNs and always
> has done with all the versions I've used including the current one.

Newer versions of zonealarm might be better, but installing zonealarm
on my win2k machine completely broke the checkpoint vpn client that I
had been using. I was unable to get the checkpoint vpn client to work
without reinstalling the OS. Simply uninstalling zonealarm didn't help.

I now prefer to put my computer behind a NAT router to protect it instead
of installing instrusive programs like zone alarm.

Andrew

phoenix

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:13:13 +0000 (UTC), Andrew wrote:

> phoenix <phoenix@fakeaddress.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:19:12 GMT, 420 wrote:
>
>>> this is for all you poor slobs out there that can't make your vpn equipment
>>> work. the router says you're connected, you can ping successfully, but you
>>> just can't browse any of the network resources.
>>>
>>> solution (at least in my case): long ago i used to have zone alarm installed
>>> on my pc. i had since uninstalled it, but it was still lurking around enough
>>> to cause problems with my ability to connect to another pc, via vpn. i took
>>> the drastic approach and reformatted. now i can connect so as long as the pc
>>> on the other end has NEVER had zone alarm installed on it. you may be able
>>> to manually peel zone alarm off using reg edit, but i did not try this.
>>> perhaps some other egg head out there would care to. right now, i'm too busy
>>> doing back flips!
>
>> Absolute nonsense, Zonealarm (free & Pro) works fine with VPNs and always
>> has done with all the versions I've used including the current one.
>
> Newer versions of zonealarm might be better, but installing zonealarm
> on my win2k machine completely broke the checkpoint vpn client that I
> had been using. I was unable to get the checkpoint vpn client to work
> without reinstalling the OS. Simply uninstalling zonealarm didn't help.
>
> I now prefer to put my computer behind a NAT router to protect it instead
> of installing instrusive programs like zone alarm.
>
> Andrew

That's fine but it's not my experience, I never said it worked for everyone
but it has for me. BTW, I also have my systems behind a NAT router as well
as having a firewall installed but I still don't have any problems.

What the o/p was describing isn't a problem with ZA it's a problem with not
having his VPN setup correctly.

Regards

Bill

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

damn! have you got a chip on your shoulder or what! if it wasn't set up
correctly why did it say the tunnel was connected? and why after
reinstalling the os, and without any changes to the vpn setting at the
router, does the vpn suddenly work.

i smell a shill.

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:13:13 +0000 (UTC), Andrew wrote:
>
> > phoenix <phoenix@fakeaddress.net> wrote:

> >> Absolute nonsense, Zonealarm (free & Pro) works fine with VPNs and
always
> >> has done with all the versions I've used including the current one.
> >
> > Newer versions of zonealarm might be better, but installing zonealarm
> > on my win2k machine completely broke the checkpoint vpn client that I
> > had been using. I was unable to get the checkpoint vpn client to work
> > without reinstalling the OS. Simply uninstalling zonealarm didn't help.
> >
> > I now prefer to put my computer behind a NAT router to protect it
instead
> > of installing instrusive programs like zone alarm.
> >
> > Andrew
>
> That's fine but it's not my experience, I never said it worked for
everyone
> but it has for me. BTW, I also have my systems behind a NAT router as well
> as having a firewall installed but I still don't have any problems.
>
> What the o/p was describing isn't a problem with ZA it's a problem with
not
> having his VPN setup correctly.
>
> Regards
>
> Bill

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> But then MS wouldn't be a greedy predator either.
> That's too much to hope for.

The purpose of business is to make money.
If you don't like their products, just don't use them - simple.

If a lot of people don't like them, and would stop using them, they would
make less profit and change their business plan. But everyone keeps buying
their products, so why would they change? They are making money. And
that's what the purpose of buness is.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:29:41 +0200, "John" <john@nospamplease.com>
wrote:

>> But then MS wouldn't be a greedy predator either.
>> That's too much to hope for.

>The purpose of business is to make money.
>If you don't like their products, just don't use them - simple.

That's like saying that if I do not like the quality of air I breathe,
I should stop breathing.

Idiot.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

> That's like saying that if I do not like the quality of air I breathe,
> I should stop breathing.

No it's not. You can go to another place where the air is better to your
likings.

> Idiot.

No reason to insult me I think.