Sirtimtation

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I am starting to get involved with some video editing and I wanted to know the best way to set up two dual display moniors for the actual editing and a 26" hdtv above my desk to watch tv and the cut footage from my editing, all hooked up through my computer.

What graphics card will be sufficient for what I am trying to do?
Are there any 4 DVI display graphics cards for PCI or PCI Express?
If not, should I purchase 2 cards? What if the cards don't work together?

I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have for me.

Sirtimtation

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks for your response.

I currently use Pinnacle Studio Plus v. 10, and my friend is getting me the new Adobe Premeire Pro v. 1.5.

The reason I ask is because all I have been told is that 2 graphics cards won't work together. Is this true? That there is a possibility of only working at a time.

What about Matrox's Triple-Head card? Is that a good idea?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm guessing that your questions are a little beyond the scope of what many of us do with our machines. You are certainly beyond my ability to answer your questions fully.

Still I can tell you that 2 video cards will work in a machine for sure, depending on the video cards. Sorry I'm not sure exactly what you need but I'm sure you can find something workable.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/reviews/parhelia/

Using 3 displays: the first display can be digital or analog, the two other displays need to be analog and are connected using the DVI-to-2xVGA cable.

If this is not how you want to hook up your displays then the triple head is no good for you.

Also from the link:

For general use I would recommend a PCI video card for the 3rd monitor

Where the reviewer is talking about regular PCI not PCI-express.

Regular PCI video cards are dirt cheap. It seems like a nice AGP or PCI-e card with 2 outputs combined with a PCI card would power your displays.

I've only heard about such things having no need to power more than 2 displays myself. Perhaps someone else will know more.

Sirtimtation

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Thank you for your responses.

Basically, I have ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 graphics with 256MB shared video memory built in to my motherboard.

I have 2 lcd monitors w/ dvi. And a hdtv w/ dvi as well.

I have 1 pci-express and two open pci ports

I would like to spend no more than about $400-$500 on one or more graphics cards

So you are saying that they can't be ATI or nVidia

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
So you are saying that they can't be ATI or nVidia
You can use ATi & nVidia cards together, people say that because of driver issues, you cant, but it's just not true.

I once ran Intel onboard graphics(810E) with a Diamond Viper 550(riva tnt) for multi monitor usage......long ago.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
After getting 3 displays working the next issue in going to be managing them. If your current software is not up to the task check out UltraMon. It lets you manage up to 10 displays (I think). UltraMon has a free trial demo, check it out.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

I downloaded UltraMon to check it out and it worked great. Truth is the dual monitor cards should come with a basic version of UltraMon in order to fully use the capabilities of dual/multi displays.

Our memeber Tatiania pointed out UltraMon in another thread.