Asus P4S333 + Power Supply + Geforce 6600GT = Problems

moltar512

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
hi

i got a new graphcis card, the geforce 6600GT

i can't get it to work
i've posted other placed on these forums about it, but now i have a different piece of the puzzle

i'm almost 100 percent sure it's the motherboard now, but i don't know why

When i put in my new geforce 6600GT card, and i go to hardware monitoring, it says that the 12V rail is .12V, the 5V rail is .05V, the 3.3V rail is .03V and the VCORE voltage is .03V. These values never flicker, never waver, and are in red.

When I put back in my old geforce III card, and i go to hardware monitoring, it says that that all the rails (which are now in blue) are close to what they are suppose to be. This means that the 12V rail is 11.9V, the 5V rail is 5.05V, the 3.3 rail is 3.1V and the VCORE voltage is around 3.1V. Also, these values flicker back and forth just a little bit, the way they would when measuring the voltage using a multimeter.

I think fundamentally this is a power problem. However, the thing maybe that the motherboard won't regulate so much of a power drain. This is all guessing and I'd really like it if someone from ASUS could help me out.

However THIS is what is causing the problem. How to fix it though... *shrug*

i've made sure my power supply is big enough, i've done the driver thing, i've done the bios thing, i've done everything that I can think of

in light of this new information, what do you suggest?

That's an older motherboard, with agp 4x support. Some older boards don't work well with newer video cards. I have 2 newer p4 boards in the attic collecting dust. I will probably never use them again. Too bad you don't live in the austin tx area.

moltar512

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I did plug it in though

my new power supply hav three chains of 4 pin molexes.
I gave the video card it's OWN dedicated one

still no dice

can i test to make sure that the power supply is delivering power?

moltar512

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
as with my other power supply, i plugged three things into the motherboard

a four pin 12V plug
the 20-pin plug
and a 4 pin molex plug

the video card itself has a space for a 4 pin molex plug, so i plugegd that in too

if it matters, the ps is also pushing 2 harddrives, 2 optical drives, a floppy disk, and one case fan.