A question of altitude and flaps

Just got back from three days in Venice (Italy not US!) and flew there and
back from Coventry UK (EGBE) with low cost carier Thomsonfly which was fine.
A couple of points that I'd like to put to you more knowledgeable types:-

1. On the way out, Capt Steve Higginson informed us that we were cruising
at 37000 feet. On the return journey Capt Stu Gruber advised that we were at
36000 feet. Does this mean that the rule I read about somewhere wherby above
29000 feet only the odd numbered levels are flown to give 2000 feet vertical
separation does not apply in Europe?

2. On the return journey I had a good window seat just aft of the wing.
We were in a 737-500 and for take-off the flaps setting appeared to be 10
degrees. I'd always thought that 5 degrees is the norm except in very high
temperatures or at high altitude, neither of which applied. Any thoughts
anyone?

Iain

Iain Smith wrote:

> 1. On the way out, Capt Steve Higginson informed us that we were
cruising
> at 37000 feet. On the return journey Capt Stu Gruber advised that we
were at
> 36000 feet. Does this mean that the rule I read about somewhere
wherby above
> 29000 feet only the odd numbered levels are flown to give 2000 feet
vertical
> separation does not apply in Europe?

Reduced Vertical Minimum Separation now in effect for both Europe and
the US. Aircraft and crew so equipped can now fly at more altitudes
above 29,000 due to this new regulation. Oskar will be able to provide
much more details, as I am stuck below 23,000 IRL. :)

--
Peter
(via yucky Google Groups)

Thanks Peter! An excellent answer to my first question.

Iain