How do I determine what is hanging my reboots/shutdowns?

fuzzyreets

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Hi folks,

I have a brand new computer that I just built with the following basic specs:

Asus P7P55E-PRO
Core i5 760
8GB PC3 10600
Win7 Ultimate x64
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB
Sapphire Radeon 5870 Eyefinity 6

I'm just trying to figure out what exactly is hanging my reboots and shutdowns. I get to the shutting down screen in no time but it just sits there for like 2 minutes then shuts down or reboots. Obviously something that is not expected and kind of annoying. How do I track down the source of the problem? Thanks.

Before you shutdown, press control Shift and Escape at once to bring up the Task Manager. Under the Applications tab, see what's running and click to End Task from the File menu. Checking under the Processes tab is a little harder and is a process of elimination. Double click on the header of the CPU column to bring the highest users to the top and start by closing the first one, note its name and shutdown. Keep doing that until you work out what's casuing the delay.

fuzzyreets

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I was thinking more along the lines of something that would make a log I could review after a reboot. I'm pretty sure something like this exists. There is nothing running in applications when I close it or it would come up and inform me of that. It's something in the background or a driver. Probably a driver.

You won't want to run online for long without one. You might already have picked up some malware which is causing your problem. Microsoft Security Essentials is surprisinlgy worth having - 32 and 64 bit versions are available free at their website.