rdp client logon

when useing a vpn connection some of my clients are not getting a win2k3
login screen via rdp client to some TS. I have not found any log entries that
point to the problem i do have a win2003lic server installed with 2003
per/user cals on it.the users in question are in the remote users group ts is
in aplication mode i can see the vpn tunnel is created a correct ip address
useally is obtained when rdp is launched it can not connect to the server
but they can connect to a 2000 TS. i on the otherhand have no problems
connecting to either any sugestions would greatly be apricated
one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic issiued but none
of the per user cals are used. is this normal?
3 answers Last reply
More about client logon
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    The solution lies probably in you last sentence:
    > one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic issiued
    > but none of the per user cals are used. is this normal?

    Is the Terminal Server (not the Licensing Server!) set to use "Per
    User" licensing? The default is "Per Device".
    You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
    Configuration - Server Settings
    If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
    and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

    Check this article, it explains that even after you have
    switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
    not be decremented:

    822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
    2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    "=?Utf-8?B?Yl92YW5rdXI=?=" <bvankur@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote on 08 dec 2004 in
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

    > when useing a vpn connection some of my clients are not getting
    > a win2k3 login screen via rdp client to some TS. I have not
    > found any log entries that point to the problem i do have a
    > win2003lic server installed with 2003 per/user cals on it.the
    > users in question are in the remote users group ts is in
    > aplication mode i can see the vpn tunnel is created a correct ip
    > address useally is obtained when rdp is launched it can not
    > connect to the server but they can connect to a 2000 TS. i on
    > the otherhand have no problems connecting to either any
    > sugestions would greatly be apricated
    > one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic issiued
    > but none
    > of the per user cals are used. is this normal?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    vera
    i checked the type of lic the term server was looking forit was set to per
    user cals
    so i don't think that is the problem. to get a logon screen i didn't think
    that the cals came in to play untill after you started the logon process any
    other sugestions
    thanks
    barry
    "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

    > The solution lies probably in you last sentence:
    > > one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic issiued
    > > but none of the per user cals are used. is this normal?
    >
    > Is the Terminal Server (not the Licensing Server!) set to use "Per
    > User" licensing? The default is "Per Device".
    > You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
    > Configuration - Server Settings
    > If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
    > and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
    >
    > Check this article, it explains that even after you have
    > switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
    > not be decremented:
    >
    > 822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
    > 2003
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134
    >
    > --
    > Vera Noest
    > http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
    > --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
    >
    > "=?Utf-8?B?Yl92YW5rdXI=?=" <bvankur@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote on 08 dec 2004 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
    >
    > > when useing a vpn connection some of my clients are not getting
    > > a win2k3 login screen via rdp client to some TS. I have not
    > > found any log entries that point to the problem i do have a
    > > win2003lic server installed with 2003 per/user cals on it.the
    > > users in question are in the remote users group ts is in
    > > aplication mode i can see the vpn tunnel is created a correct ip
    > > address useally is obtained when rdp is launched it can not
    > > connect to the server but they can connect to a 2000 TS. i on
    > > the otherhand have no problems connecting to either any
    > > sugestions would greatly be apricated
    > > one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic issiued
    > > but none
    > > of the per user cals are used. is this normal?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Actually, licenses *are* checked before the login. That's why the
    first connection always works on a temporary license, to prevent
    that a user who is not allowed to logon to a TS still could take a
    TS CAL.

    From Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server Licensing White paper
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/terms
    ervlic.mspx

    <quote>
    When a license server responds, the terminal server requests a
    temporary token for the device because this is the first time the
    device has connected to a terminal server. The terminal server
    then pushes this temporary token to the device. After a user has
    provided valid credentials resulting in a successful logon, the
    terminal server instructs the license server to mark the issued
    temporary token as validated.
    </quote>

    --
    Vera Noest
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    "=?Utf-8?B?Yl92YW5rdXI=?=" <bvankur@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote on 09 dec 2004 in
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

    > vera
    > i checked the type of lic the term server was looking forit was
    > set to per user cals
    > so i don't think that is the problem. to get a logon screen i
    > didn't think that the cals came in to play untill after you
    > started the logon process any other sugestions
    > thanks
    > barry
    > "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> The solution lies probably in you last sentence:
    >> > one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic
    >> > issiued but none of the per user cals are used. is this
    >> > normal?
    >>
    >> Is the Terminal Server (not the Licensing Server!) set to use
    >> "Per User" licensing? The default is "Per Device".
    >> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal
    >> Services Configuration - Server Settings
    >> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS
    >> CAL and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
    >>
    >> Check this article, it explains that even after you have
    >> switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count
    >> will not be decremented:
    >>
    >> 822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
    >> 2003
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134
    >>
    >> --
    >> Vera Noest
    >> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    >> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
    >> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
    >>
    >> "=?Utf-8?B?Yl92YW5rdXI=?=" <bvankur@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote on 08 dec 2004 in
    >> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
    >>
    >> > when useing a vpn connection some of my clients are not
    >> > getting a win2k3 login screen via rdp client to some TS. I
    >> > have not found any log entries that point to the problem i do
    >> > have a win2003lic server installed with 2003 per/user cals on
    >> > it.the users in question are in the remote users group ts is
    >> > in aplication mode i can see the vpn tunnel is created a
    >> > correct ip address useally is obtained when rdp is launched
    >> > it can not connect to the server but they can connect to a
    >> > 2000 TS. i on the otherhand have no problems connecting to
    >> > either any sugestions would greatly be apricated
    >> > one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic
    >> > issiued
    >> > but none
    >> > of the per user cals are used. is this normal?

Connection Servers Windows