rdp client logon

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 8, 2004 3:59:09 PM

when useing a vpn connection some of my clients are not getting a win2k3
login screen via rdp client to some TS. I have not found any log entries that
point to the problem i do have a win2003lic server installed with 2003
per/user cals on it.the users in question are in the remote users group ts is
in aplication mode i can see the vpn tunnel is created a correct ip address
useally is obtained when rdp is launched it can not connect to the server
but they can connect to a 2000 TS. i on the otherhand have no problems
connecting to either any sugestions would greatly be apricated
one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic issiued but none
of the per user cals are used. is this normal?

More about : rdp client logon

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:11:25 PM

The solution lies probably in you last sentence:
> one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic issiued
> but none of the per user cals are used. is this normal?

Is the Terminal Server (not the Licensing Server!) set to use "Per
User" licensing? The default is "Per Device".
You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
Configuration - Server Settings
If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.

Check this article, it explains that even after you have
switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
not be decremented:

822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"=?Utf-8?B?Yl92YW5rdXI=?=" <bvankur@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote on 08 dec 2004 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

> when useing a vpn connection some of my clients are not getting
> a win2k3 login screen via rdp client to some TS. I have not
> found any log entries that point to the problem i do have a
> win2003lic server installed with 2003 per/user cals on it.the
> users in question are in the remote users group ts is in
> aplication mode i can see the vpn tunnel is created a correct ip
> address useally is obtained when rdp is launched it can not
> connect to the server but they can connect to a 2000 TS. i on
> the otherhand have no problems connecting to either any
> sugestions would greatly be apricated
> one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic issiued
> but none
> of the per user cals are used. is this normal?
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 10:43:02 AM

vera
i checked the type of lic the term server was looking forit was set to per
user cals
so i don't think that is the problem. to get a logon screen i didn't think
that the cals came in to play untill after you started the logon process any
other sugestions
thanks
barry
"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> The solution lies probably in you last sentence:
> > one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic issiued
> > but none of the per user cals are used. is this normal?
>
> Is the Terminal Server (not the Licensing Server!) set to use "Per
> User" licensing? The default is "Per Device".
> You can check this from Administrative Tools - Terminal Services
> Configuration - Server Settings
> If it's set to Per Device mode, it will look for a Device TS CAL
> and will not issue your Per User TS CALs.
>
> Check this article, it explains that even after you have
> switched licensing mode on the TS, your Per User TS CAL count will
> not be decremented:
>
> 822134 - The Function of Terminal Server CALs in Windows Server
> 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822134
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "=?Utf-8?B?Yl92YW5rdXI=?=" <bvankur@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote on 08 dec 2004 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>
> > when useing a vpn connection some of my clients are not getting
> > a win2k3 login screen via rdp client to some TS. I have not
> > found any log entries that point to the problem i do have a
> > win2003lic server installed with 2003 per/user cals on it.the
> > users in question are in the remote users group ts is in
> > aplication mode i can see the vpn tunnel is created a correct ip
> > address useally is obtained when rdp is launched it can not
> > connect to the server but they can connect to a 2000 TS. i on
> > the otherhand have no problems connecting to either any
> > sugestions would greatly be apricated
> > one more thing on the lic server i see several temp lic issiued
> > but none
> > of the per user cals are used. is this normal?

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 5:30:56 PM

Actually, licenses *are* checked before the login. That's why the
first connection always works on a temporary license, to prevent
that a user who is not allowed to logon to a TS still could take a
TS CAL.

From Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server Licensing White paper
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/ove...
ervlic.mspx

<quote>
When a license server responds, the terminal server requests a
temporary token for the device because this is the first time the
device has connected to a terminal server. The terminal server
then pushes this temporary token to the device. After a user has
provided valid credentials resulting in a successful logon, the
terminal server instructs the license server to mark the issued
temporary token as validated.
</quote>

--
Vera Noest