TS with 3G & GPRS

peter

Has anybody used the TS to connect using GPRS and 3G from laptops, Looking
to use with Vodafone in UK, 3G supports upto 350k, while GPRS upto 56k,

What are the minimum requirements connection speeds

Regards

Yes, that should work fine.
Minimum Base bandwidth for a useable RDP Session = 26.4Kbps
Printing will be slow though, depending on the size of the print job.

--
Vera Noest
MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Peter" <peterphillips@peractosolutions.com> wrote on 10 dec 2004:

> Has anybody used the TS to connect using GPRS and 3G from
> laptops, Looking to use with Vodafone in UK, 3G supports upto
> 350k, while GPRS upto 56k,
>
> What are the minimum requirements connection speeds
>
> Regards

Just a little added info, but network latency is even more important than
bandwidth when using RDP or ICA connections. Just because the speed is rated
at XXbps, does not mean that the connection is sufficient for a Terminal
Server Connection, i.e. Satellite connections are very latent, sometimes
10-100 times more than a LAN or DSL connection.

This shouldn't be a problem in your situation, but someth9ing you should be
aware of.

P.S. Vera, we missed you in the Live Meeting this week :( Lots of good
info I'd be happy to share with you via email.

"Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:

> Yes, that should work fine.
> Minimum Base bandwidth for a useable RDP Session = 26.4Kbps
> Printing will be slow though, depending on the size of the print job.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "Peter" <peterphillips@peractosolutions.com> wrote on 10 dec 2004:
>
> > Has anybody used the TS to connect using GPRS and 3G from
> > laptops, Looking to use with Vodafone in UK, 3G supports upto
> > 350k, while GPRS upto 56k,
> >
> > What are the minimum requirements connection speeds
> >
> > Regards

That's absolutely true, the bandwidth is not all
The latency is very very important

"Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news: 9E14EA97-DBB0-4775-A6B7-FAECA36CCA8E@microsoft.com...
> Just a little added info, but network latency is even more important than
> bandwidth when using RDP or ICA connections. Just because the speed is
> rated
> at XXbps, does not mean that the connection is sufficient for a Terminal
> Server Connection, i.e. Satellite connections are very latent, sometimes
> 10-100 times more than a LAN or DSL connection.
>
> This shouldn't be a problem in your situation, but someth9ing you should
> be
> aware of.
>
> P.S. Vera, we missed you in the Live Meeting this week :( Lots of good
> info I'd be happy to share with you via email.
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, that should work fine.
>> Minimum Base bandwidth for a useable RDP Session = 26.4Kbps
>> Printing will be slow though, depending on the size of the print job.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "Peter" <peterphillips@peractosolutions.com> wrote on 10 dec 2004:
>>
>> > Has anybody used the TS to connect using GPRS and 3G from
>> > laptops, Looking to use with Vodafone in UK, 3G supports upto
>> > 350k, while GPRS upto 56k,
>> >
>> > What are the minimum requirements connection speeds
>> >
>> > Regards

I find Terminal Services with the Vodafone 3G card usable when connected at
384K, with GPRS its a bit painful. It also has its moments, sometimes I work
happily for an hour then sometimes there are hiccups are disconnects.

I also trialed the Orange 3G card and wouldn't rate this for TS usage - far
too much latency.

Brendon