Santa needs some serious help!

frodo1961

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I just built a pc for my nephews and niece. The computer they currently have is getting more than a bit long in the tooth (about 6 years old). I was hoping to get them a spiffy new handmade gaming machine for Christmas but I couldn't find enough time to finish it until this weekend. And now that it's finished I'm having a problem I don't have any idea how to solve. When I power up the machine I'm greeted with the following screen. I can't get past it because the machine doesn't appear to be accepting any keyboard input after the BIOS has generated the message text.

AMIBIOS(c) 2005 American Megatrends, Inc
939 Dual-SATA2 BIOS P1.20
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+ (64 bit supported)
Speed: 2.20 GHz

Press F2 to run Setup
Press F11 for Boot Menu
Dual-Channel Memory Mode
1024 MB OK

Keyboard/Interface Error
Press F1 to Resume

At the bottom righthand corner of the screen I'm seeing the code 0085. I've tried using several USB and PS2 keyboards without success. I'm still seeing the aforementioned text when I power up the machine. Any ideas about what I might try to resolve the problem would be greatly appreciated. Btw... the motherboard is an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2. If you have an idea that results in a solution I'll put your name down along with mine on the gift card I attach to the thing when I hand it over to the kids :)

Something else besides the keyboard may cause the board to freeze at the post. I would try unplugging the hardrives and floppy, in case you have a jumper wrong or cable backwards, and take out any extra cards besides video. What video card are you using?

linux_0

Splendid
Great suggestions!

You might also want to try resetting the BIOS.

Check to see if you have a jumper or front panel connector connected to the keyboard lock pins if your motherboard supports that. Also if some of your front panel connectors are plugged in backwards your board may behave very strangely so unplug them ALL and use a jumper to start the system by carefully shorting the PWR-ON pins.

Good Luck!