Admin Password on Windows 7 Pro

Hi,

I've been asked to help a disabled friend fix her daughter's laptop. It works - but both of them haven't used it for a while and cannot remember either of the 2 logon passwords.

My experience with Windows 7 is limited, so I thought I could just log on as Administrator (hoping there wouldn't be a password as many people don't set one), but I can't see how to see the Administrator account in 7 - I have only accessed it in Windows XP.

I have seen that there are password recovery/reset programs available on the web, but am nervous of using them as some of them say that they may prevent access to some files.

Is there a way to log on without knowing either user password ? I would really appreciate your advice as her main computer is very slow and doens't have working sound at the moment.

Regards,
Julia
6 answers Last reply
More about admin password windows

1. There won't be an Administrator password unless the system was installed by a particularly vicious individual. :D

To enable the System Administrator account, you need the Command Prompt at which you type the following, and the capital A is crucial here.

net user Administrator {yourname} {yourpassword} then hit Enter.

Then type

Net user Administrator active:yes

and hit Enter, type Exit to close the Command form and restart the system. If the syntax above isn't totally precise, type net user Administrator /? for the help menu - I'm not in a W7 system at the moment to check my facts but those are the basics.

2. This topic has been moved from the section Windows XP to section Windows 7 by Grumpy9117
  3. You're only solution is Ophcrack and even that might not work. You could always set the laptop back to the way it came from the factory.
  4. Ophcrack is a password cracker. You need a password remover. Go to **** and see if the trial version will work. A free remover is at
    watchingthenet.com/reset-windows-password-when-you-have-forgotten-it.html. The last comment says it worked for Win7.
  5. Hi - Thanks for your replies. Is it possible to get to the Command Prompt if I cannot log onto either account ? I've tried Safe Mode, but even that asks for user passwords, which I don't have. There doesn't seem to be an option in the Startup menu to go to Command Prompt only.

I will check out the password recovery system from the website mentioned by turk_1000. I was keen to try Ophcrack - but there doesn't seem to have a LiveCD option for Windows 7 - only for XP and Vista. The other option seems to be a program which needs a logon to run.

If you can offer any further assistance, please do reply.

Regards,
    Julia
  6. Despite what Saga Lout posted, no you can't get to a command prompt without a password. Try the Vista version of Ophcrack or the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor. http://www.pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Windows 7