quick ps question, i hope

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
ive got a thermaltake tsunami case with the ps that came with it, 400watt thermltake psu, have had this case for lil over a year..

voltages as follows

Vcore1 1.52
Vcore2 2.58
+3.3 3.30V
+5 5.05
+12 11.78
-12 -12.03
-5 -3.65
+5 2.53
Vbat 4.08

as u can see the +/- 5 volts are off and the 12 seems a lil low. my question is, could this be related to my mobo (i have a crappy one that came with the cpu amd3700+ socket 754) the temp readings are also off, the system is completly stable, have been gaming today all day (css,fear,wow) with no problems, just wondering is it time to get a new psu or should i wait... since the temp readings i know are off because the cpu says to be at a scorching 50C idle 65C load it cant be right because nothing in my computer is hotter than 100 F so my question is, should i not trust these sensors due to a cheap mobo with badly calibrated sensors or worry and test my psu and get a temp sensor?

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I would say you need a more powerful PS. Can you list the components inside your case? It may be that your at the limits of you power supply.

Bad temp sensors are pretty common. If you're stable and running all of the programs you want, then don't worry about it. Were those temps from bios or a program? You might get more accurate numbers from the bios. As far as voltages go - if you're within 5% of the rated voltage on a rail, then you're fine. At 11.78, your 12V rail is fine. If you have a temp gun, you can check your temps manually...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
theres no way i need more power... have 1 160gb harddrive and 2 optical drives, front light for the case on the outside (2 lazer led's) the temps were from speedsfan, in the bios it shows higher... ill just not worry about it till somthing happens (chaintech sensors are usually off) but if my psu burns out will that fry my system?

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Try checking the PC Health status in BIOS. I have the same problem with my cheapo ECS motherboard that came with my X2 3800+. Under Windows, every program I have tried comes up with odd voltage readings, and the temperature sensors are always bouncing around randomly between 0C and 55C. Under BIOS however, the voltages look a bit better. The problem I think is that the program is reading the wrong sensors (and getting confused because of it) and/or is just reading the sensors incorrectly.

-mcg

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i guess ill listen to vac because im too lazy and dont know much about power supplies... when it dies or if the readings become worse ill go pick up an emermax powersupply or somtihng... my friend offered to give me an nspire 450 watt.. maybe ill use that :) is nspire good tho?

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
pretty much the same here cept my 5v is off by 50% (says speedfan..) i cant believe that this is true, but if 5v rails power optical drives then i could believe it because one of my cd drives only works sometimes, this could be due to the crap compusa version i bought or the fact that it has no power to run...

linux_0

Splendid
atx.gif

http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm