Your question

Locked or Unlocked?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
January 15, 2006 8:10:00 AM

Ok a while back someone said the the x2 and the opty's have locked mulipliers and that the only one that is not locked are the AMD F/X chips. So are the opty's locked or unlocked? :twisted:

More about : locked unlocked

January 15, 2006 8:58:11 AM

Quote:
I have confirmed they are unlocked.

I'm a nub and how do you confirm that? :twisted:
January 15, 2006 9:38:51 AM

Not to discredit you or anything wusy, but how did you confirm that opteron cores are unlocked. I haven't personally purchased any of the opterons, but from what I have read I have only seen a couple of people mention that they were lucky enough to recieve one with an unlocked multiplier.
Related resources
January 15, 2006 11:27:15 AM

Quote:
I have confirmed they are unlocked.

There we go again :?

i agree with h3llscream,post your review here please or stop making personal autoritative statements

About the original question, Hmmmmm good question i dont personally own one but i have read posts about people claiming both locked and unlocked even though most reviews are behind the Locked multiplier claim. Anyone who knows for SURE will be a great help.
January 15, 2006 12:17:58 PM

I dont know about other peeps, but my 170 sure is locked. can only go up to a 10x multiplier, but can go down to anything I want. all new AMD chips should be able to go down, but only FX's should be able to go up, hence "locked".
January 15, 2006 6:47:10 PM

I have a 146, locked up, unlocked down.
January 15, 2006 7:59:52 PM

I guess people really dont know if it's locked or unlocked. I guess it would make sense that the opty's are locked because aren't they are pretty much the same as the x2's except for that the opty's chip is a better quality. Well if anyone has real PROOF write it down here. And for Wuss, send us a link to show your proof!!! :twisted:
January 15, 2006 8:09:52 PM

According to my search using google I find that only a handful of people have reported to have unlocked opty's. The majority of those that have purchased them say they are locked including those that are posting in this thread.
January 15, 2006 8:22:09 PM

Quote:
According to my search using google I find that only a handful of people have reported to have unlocked opty's. The majority of those that have purchased them say they are locked including those that are posting in this thread.

So far I read that they are locked upwards but not downwards. here are more links stating that they are locked. Again I'm a nub here but for wusy where are you getting info that they are unlocked? I think he's just messing with us, just trying to start some crap just to do it. :twisted:

http://www.xtremeresources.com/forums/showthread.php?t=...
January 15, 2006 8:31:38 PM

I do remember running across a select few that reported to have unlocked opty's, but those that did have them were few and far between. All amd processor that use the cool and quiet technology have the multiplier unlocked to go down as that is how it manages energy consumption during idle times.
January 15, 2006 8:44:57 PM

So how come everyone raves about why opty's are so much better and stuff when they are pretty much the same as the x2's? Taken the chip is better quality, but other than that there're the same. Besides if you OC too much than chances are it wont last long right? I mean how stable can it be for very long? That goes for opty's and x2's. I read that the FX are unlocked so that's why they are great OCer's right? So, how is the opty's are so great at OCing when they're multipliers are locked? I ask all these stupid questions because I want to get a opty. :twisted:
January 15, 2006 8:46:37 PM

We can't always get everything right lol
January 15, 2006 8:49:18 PM

The opterons are tested to a higher degree due to the fact that they are used mostly in server applications where uptime and stability is critical. Chances are you can get a better overclock with them due to this.
January 15, 2006 8:52:45 PM

Also when overclocking you get more of a performance boost from upping the FSB than you would by simply increasing the multiplier as you are improving overall system speed rather than just the cpu.
January 15, 2006 9:26:19 PM

:twisted: [/b]thanks guys for clearing that up for me. But like I said how much will it be able to last if you OC? I heard OCing the FSB is not good because it could cause problems?
January 15, 2006 9:50:57 PM

It can cause problems if the pci clock isn't locked which you have to do in the bios. Other things such as running the HTT higher than 1Ghz can also cause stability problems. As to how long the cpu will last running in an overclocked condition, well that really depends on how much of an OC you plan to do, how much more heat it is going to generate as a result and how long of a period it will have to sustain elevated temps. There are no guarantees when overclocking. In most cases you void warranties when overclocking. Overclocking is more of a trial and error type of process. You overclock to high it may not boot or crash with BSOD's.
January 15, 2006 11:23:48 PM

Quote:
That guys is wrong, he has got no proof than you do.
I'm starting to think that only dual-core Opterons are unlocked.

I'm talking about the dual cores.
January 15, 2006 11:25:06 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling I'm going to e mocked anyway. Oh what the heck, like I give a damn! :D 

NOt trying to mock you, it's just that's what I've been reading and that's what other people and other forums has said. Just trying to find out the FACT. :twisted:
January 15, 2006 11:34:32 PM

Quote:
So how come everyone raves about why opty's are so much better and stuff when they are pretty much the same as the x2's

Opterons are cut from the center of the wafer. Ever eaten watermelon? The center is the best part.
Part of the reason people love opterons is because they dont need as much voltage to reach high OCs. It's the extra voltage that shortens chip life, not the extra speed.
January 15, 2006 11:39:11 PM

Quote:
So how come everyone raves about why opty's are so much better and stuff when they are pretty much the same as the x2's

Opterons are cut from the center of the wafer. Ever eaten watermelon? The center is the best part.
Part of the reason people love opterons is because they dont need as much voltage to reach high OCs. It's the extra voltage that shortens chip life, not the extra speed.

AW thanks man. So in your opionin how much can you OC a opty 170 or 175 that are on stock volts, air cooling? Obviously not too much but so it will be stable and last hopefully for a while when it's OCed. I mean I do plan on purchasing the Opty 170 or 175 and OC it on a later time. I wouldn't feel too comfortable to do it right away.
January 15, 2006 11:41:50 PM

I would expect that (in a system with good air flow) those opterons should get close to 20% OC, on stock cooling and voltage.
January 16, 2006 2:07:02 AM

to all - my opty 165 won't let me go over 9x, so if you manage to find someone's who does, please tell me how, cauz i'm interested.
January 16, 2006 4:16:12 AM

Quote:
The simple fact is a Opteron 165 is cheaper than X2 3800+ and can get higher under the same condition.
Don't take a rocket scientist to figure out the Opteron is a better deal.

we all agree to that,but that still doesnt give you the reason to lie that they are unlocked and you have "confirmed " that fact.
January 16, 2006 5:15:58 AM

Quote:
The simple fact is a Opteron 165 is cheaper than X2 3800+ and can get higher under the same condition.
Don't take a rocket scientist to figure out the Opteron is a better deal.

we all agree to that,but that still doesnt give you the reason to lie that they are unlocked and you have "confirmed " that fact.

tru dat.
January 16, 2006 5:37:38 AM

Will you guys cut wusy some slack. He has posted here for a long time. Almost all of his posts have been very helpful.
I know that some people got opty's with unlocked multis. They were early testers. There are others who have said they were unlocked, but ment downwards (more common use for serious OCers) and lastly, there are a number of boards that will allow you to set the multi higher, but it still runs @ stock.
If wusy inadvertantly passed on some bad info, I'm sure it was because his (usually reliable) sources were wrong.
January 16, 2006 8:04:46 AM

Quote:
Will you guys cut wusy some slack. He has posted here for a long time. Almost all of his posts have been very helpful.
I know that some people got opty's with unlocked multis. They were early testers. There are others who have said they were unlocked, but ment downwards (more common use for serious OCers) and lastly, there are a number of boards that will allow you to set the multi higher, but it still runs @ stock.
If wusy inadvertantly passed on some bad info, I'm sure it was because his (usually reliable) sources were wrong.

Well damnit wusy should of said something lol. I mean I seen his post and good god talk about a lot.
January 16, 2006 8:47:25 AM

I've got a question for you. What you said makes sense to me about opterons needing less voltage to overclock since it comes from the center of the wafer. But lets take it a step further since we are comparing the 3800 to the 165. Anandtech did a good article about overclocking the 3800. From thier tests the 3800 could OC to 2.3 ghz with no voltage changes on the CPU,RAM, and mobo. 300mhz sounds right to me since my XP-M 2400 did a 300 mhz OC easy on stock settings and was unstable past that. So are you saying the 165 could do a 500mhz OC (1.8 to 2.3ghz) with no increase in voltage? What about the RAM? The RAM/FSB would have to run at 255mhz to acheive this. I am a wuss when it comes to voltage being the reason why OC'd chips fail. I dont want to ruin a $300 CPU for nothing you know? Also, from what I gleaned from the anandtech article, there was not a real increase in core temps until the voltage was increased. Since the 165 has a 110 watt TDP, wouldnt ANY voltage increase affect the 165 more adversly than the 3800? This is a VERY good topic and I think we should get objective about this. Lets keep hammering away at this until we find out which CPU is better all around (performance, heat, OC ability on a SYSTEM level-not just the CPU). I know there are alot of people that are weighing this one out so all you geniuses need to school us less experienced chaps.
January 16, 2006 9:01:13 AM

Would you mind posting your voltage settings? I am very curious about your CPU clock speeds. Anandtech couldnt get their X2 stable at 2.7 ghz and you have yours at 2.77. Maybe this will answer for all which is better. I mean, we are talking about a 900mhz OC. What about your temps?
What is your hyperthreading multiplier? I know there are lots of people who are curious about that for sure. If your HT bus is less than 1000mhz, have you ever checked to see if it adversly affects system performance?

Are you using the Zalman cooler that is copper/aluminum or just Copper? Would recommend an aftermarket cooler for the 165?

Have you ever measured the temps on your RAM? Does such a massive OC affect it?

Sorry for all of the questions but I really want to get to the bottom on this. I am very interested in the 165, but I want to weight out the benefits of heat versus performance/OC ability against the X2 3800.
January 16, 2006 9:04:46 AM

Quote:
Will you guys cut wusy some slack. He has posted here for a long time. .

Are you implying thatposting here for a long time gives you the onus to make false claims and we are to turn a blind eye to that :?: 8O 8O 8O

I dont think so :!: wusy over the past 48hrs(and i can paste them for you) has made 4 totally false claims and statements some of which whre just outright outrageous. That is not even the problem, we all make mistakes but the problem with wusy is that he just cant stand corrected or at least just let it go but will continue to argue blindly even after being shown the facts to that effect.
That i my opinion is unexcusable for someone who has been here so long and should know better by now that it isnt a crime to just say "i stand corrected". therby still maintaining his integrity and respect, in another post he even referred to another poster as stupid :!:

As you can see from the respective posts, i am not the only one sharing this opinion and its not as if anyone has picked thim out to taunt.

Quote:

and that is OK too but then why does he just keep arguing even then.
Let this be a lesson to him to nexttime quote those sources and not claim that "he confirmed" thereby taking all responsiblity for any flack that my follow.

Nobody is here to prove anything to anybody.
January 16, 2006 9:38:35 AM

Quote:
I've got a question for you. What you said makes sense to me about opterons needing less voltage to overclock since it comes from the center of the wafer. But lets take it a step further since we are comparing the 3800 to the 165. Anandtech did a good article about overclocking the 3800. From thier tests the 3800 could OC to 2.3 ghz with no voltage changes on the CPU,RAM, and mobo. 300mhz sounds right to me since my XP-M 2400 did a 300 mhz OC easy on stock settings and was unstable past that. So are you saying the 165 could do a 500mhz OC (1.8 to 2.3ghz) with no increase in voltage? What about the RAM? The RAM/FSB would have to run at 255mhz to acheive this. I am a wuss when it comes to voltage being the reason why OC'd chips fail. I dont want to ruin a $300 CPU for nothing you know? Also, from what I gleaned from the anandtech article, there was not a real increase in core temps until the voltage was increased. Since the 165 has a 110 watt TDP, wouldnt ANY voltage increase affect the 165 more adversly than the 3800? This is a VERY good topic and I think we should get objective about this. Lets keep hammering away at this until we find out which CPU is better all around (performance, heat, OC ability on a SYSTEM level-not just the CPU). I know there are alot of people that are weighing this one out so all you geniuses need to school us less experienced chaps.

the FX 60 if you can afford it. :twisted:
January 16, 2006 9:45:08 AM

Like endyen said what kills the cpu is the voltage increase not the speed increase right? I beleive he said that. I plan on getitng a opty 170 or 175 and hope to OC without upping the voltage. So, how much can you OC a opty 170 or 175 and keep the stock volage and get a after market cpu air cooler??? (2.6, 2.7, 2.8) I mean it's a opty and they should be able to OC really good!!! Any suggestions? And when I do OC on a later time, I want to make sure it will last for long time without any problems. Like take my old P4. Haven't had any problems with it. Going about 4 yrs now. still strong. :twisted:
January 16, 2006 10:15:02 AM

I suggest any one who wants to overclock reads up on it 1st.

Go here to see a list of results for various opteron overclocks Opteron 939 overclocking

The 1st post has the results grouped together with all relevant material, some impressive results.

Hypertransprt multiplier can be lowered to prevent instability my opteron is running on x3 instead of x4. From what I know there is no adverse effects on performance untill hypertarnsprt goes below 600mhz.

Always use an aftermarket cooler if going for the real oc push, stock is good for modest overclocks

Ram temps will not increase unless you push the voltage to them

Unless you buy performance ram say DDR500 then for high overclocks you will need to run a ram divider, my overclock does as my ram will only hit 230mhz. A ram divider will reduce the fsb to levels that your ram can handle so therefore allowing the processor to run faster and your fsb to run normaly.
January 16, 2006 11:21:38 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure it will answer everyone's questions. Especially the part about whether the CPUs have locked multipliers or not. Can you tell us a little more about RAM dividers? Is there another name for it? Is it a Bios setting or something? Do opterons support power now? I was just wondering. That link definitely answers the question on whether or not you can OC these things (like it was ever in doubt) but for me it still does not answer the question of if it is worth it. Most of those guys on that thread are using H/S fans that cost over 70 bucks and stuff. It kinda takes a little of the luster off of buying a 165 I guess. The other thing that concerns me is mobo compatibility with these huge coolers .
January 16, 2006 12:07:03 PM

Everbody seems to recomment the SI-120 as it is taller so clears the motherboard components, they also rate it as the best air cooling you can get coupled with a decent fan.

Ram dividers are bios settings, on my mohterboard htey are under ram speed and appear as the different speed ram can be set as, e.g running DDR400, change speed to DDR333 creates a ram divider of 0.8

Look here for more Info Ram divider

The heatsink needed will depend on the ammount of volts needed, so for a mild overclock stock is enough.
January 16, 2006 12:34:40 PM

I knew you were going to say that. Its freaking expensive. I intended on getting 500mhz DDR. So the RAM divider will really come in handy if I go past 2.5 ghz on a 3800. Here is my deal Bro. maybe you can set me straight or at least clear my thoughts. I have a XP-M 2400. I'm sure you are familar with its specs. I ran benchmarks with it using a 2 minute VOB and shrunk it using Auto GK. I down clocked to 1ghz and ran benchmarks every 100mhz until I hit 1.8 ghz. The encoding times decreased predictably until I hit 1.8 ghz. From 1.9 ghz to 2.35 ghz the performance increase with each 100mhz got smaller and smaller. At 2ghz it tokk 2 minutes to encode the 2 minute file. At 2.35 ghz it took 1 min 45 secs. At 1.8 ghz it took about 2 miuntes at 35 secs. The CPU wasnt very stable at 2.35 ghz (it needed more voltage which i was not willing to do) But the heat output was exponential even without the voltage boost. I did not feel the heat and risk was worth a few seconds lopped of my encoding time so i backed it off. the system became progressively more unstable until I backed it off to 2.1 ghz. The funny thing is that from 2.25 to 2.35 there was about a 2 sec decrease in encoding time. I wonder if going from 2.4 ghz to 2.7 on a 165 will yield me real results and will the results be worth any risk associated with upping the voltage let alone paying 80 bucks for a CPU cooler. I wanted to get the 3800 (or 165) to use at stock speeds until mid 2006 or 2007. When M2 matures and the slowest dual core M2 outperforms my CPU, I was going to OC to 2.4 ghz just to put off upgrading. When the system gets dated enough (like that MP-M 2400 I have which cant even hang with a winchester 3000) I was going to upgrade. I just dont want a system that craps out before its time. So I think 2.4 ghz is good enough for me. But there is this little voice in my head that says why settle for 2.4 when you can have 2.7? Then the voice says 80 bucks on a cooler could buy a M2 mobo when the time comes and there is a chance I wouldnt even see $80 worth of performance out of that risky 300 mhz OC........
January 16, 2006 12:53:57 PM

SI-120
January 16, 2006 1:50:53 PM

165 $330
3800+ $282

Well those are the prices I have found for your options Im in the UK so I just looked on newegg for ease.

The trouble you have compaired to the early adopters is that the 165 used to be cheaper or the same price as teh 3800. That made the decsion easy 165 no doubts.

165 and 3800 are performance wise in my opinion almost the same, larger cache v higher speeds.

My opteron has gone from 2.0ghz to 2.95ghz and the differnce is amazing so I would say if you go up in speeds your going to get better results. I never benchmarked the middle results so I dont know on exact performance gains, but I will always be 1st or joint 1st into a BF2 server and that is a system punisher.

Increasing the volts will shorten its life but then how long does a cpu last these days, my last one i got rid off after 2 years, this one prob the same.
Taking 2 years of a 10 years life span because of uping the voltage who cares?

You could always get the 165 see what you can do on stock cooling and then stick with that if you are happy, nothing to loose doing it this way. Can even see how high you can go just not for long due to heat but at least you will know how high you can go and get a cooler to suit.

I would say which one would you be most happy with at stock and is the 2.7 potential overclock woth the $50 differnce and $90 cooler to you.
January 16, 2006 2:21:55 PM

I went to a couple of review sites and checked out the SI-120. At stock speeds it makes no difference what kind of cooler you use. The athlons just run that cool. But when you OC its a different story. AMD chips didnt seem to be as bad as the P4s when it comes to a rapid rise in temps due to a 10% OC, but it does pay to have a SI-120. I wont be able to use it with the mobo I want though (socket is at the top of the mobo and will most likely get in the way of the power supply, turn it over and I would have o replace the chipset H/S fan-no dice) You are right of course. No one is going to use a CPU for 10 years anyways so whats the big deal? I'm just worried that one day I will turn it on and BAM! Nothing...... Being an athlon XP user, I am used to idle temps over 100F and load temps in the 150-160 range. I am not going to cry over the 120-130 I can expect from the Opteron 165. So I am going to get it unless there is low stock (I hate that) But I will use a stock cooler until I can get an idea of what to expect. Thanks for all of your advice man, it really cleared things up. You know, every where I go on all sorts of tech forums, there are always all these Brits there. In all of them. I think its cool cuz we all speak english. But as an American, I think my english is the "normal" one so when I read all these British terms (like, say for instance, "quid" or "dosh") I have to break down and laugh. I think its so cool. I wish I could go there some day. Are brits as tech crazy as americans or the japanese?
January 16, 2006 5:47:10 PM

Quote:
I suggest any one who wants to overclock reads up on it 1st.

Go here to see a list of results for various opteron overclocks Opteron 939 overclocking

The 1st post has the results grouped together with all relevant material, some impressive results.

Hypertransprt multiplier can be lowered to prevent instability my opteron is running on x3 instead of x4. From what I know there is no adverse effects on performance untill hypertarnsprt goes below 600mhz.

Always use an aftermarket cooler if going for the real oc push, stock is good for modest overclocks

Ram temps will not increase unless you push the voltage to them

Unless you buy performance ram say DDR500 then for high overclocks you will need to run a ram divider, my overclock does as my ram will only hit 230mhz. A ram divider will reduce the fsb to levels that your ram can handle so therefore allowing the processor to run faster and your fsb to run normaly.

English man. lol. That one flew right above my head. :twisted:
January 16, 2006 6:08:33 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling I'm going to e mocked anyway. Oh what the heck, like I give a damn! :D 

NOt trying to mock you, it's just that's what I've been reading and that's what other people and other forums has said. Just trying to find out the FACT. :twisted:

Ok fellas and gals you know i'm a nub here right. So I need your opionin. I'm planning start getting my new PC within a week or 2 and when I do I'll let you guys know if you yall care or not lol. Ok need very honest opionins. I'm looking into getting OPTY 170 or 175. I do plan on OCIng on a later time but not right away. Which is better and why. Monarch is offering free half life 2 retail. But youo have to get a combo package of cpu and mobo to get that. opty 170 is about 462 and Opty 175 is 525. And which mobo to get. Not trying to spend a whole lot either. Looking low to mid price range. Not 200 bucks. A mobo that has sata 2, pci e, and stuff like that. And can OC decent as well. The only thing I dont like the fact that they have to tested before sending it out to. It worries me because I'm afraid they are going to put some other used cpu or mobo. I called them inorder to get the combo deal it has to be tested which is dumb. What do you guys think? should I order from them?
Here's there a link: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv :twisted:
January 16, 2006 6:20:02 PM

why are we not DIY? forget monarch, 'build fee's and 'test's. why opty 170/175 as opposed to 165? save $100/150 on the cpu, put a third of that towards a better mobo, another third on the HL2, and keep the remaining third for yourself - call it a service fee when you decide your oc your 165 to the same specs as oc'ed 170/175
January 16, 2006 6:26:16 PM

Go with the Zalman with the led lights. Plus I hear it's a good brand to. But one guy said it was huge and problems. I plan on getting cpu cooler my self later and I like this one but might be too big. I have a midtower so there might be some problems. Is there any other like this one with blue led lights but a little smaller??? :twisted:
January 16, 2006 6:38:08 PM

the cnps9500 is a bit lighter than the 7700, which i upgraded from. the 7700 was just plain big. i feel that the problem with the 9500 would probably be that it's tall/long. in all seriousness, if you think you'll have problems fitting it or anything in general, get the xp120 - terrific as well
January 16, 2006 10:17:43 PM

Just go with water cooling. I think I might do that. Beside it will be a lot quiter than hella fans running and crap. :twisted:
January 16, 2006 10:20:31 PM

TT BigWaterSE is very good quality product.
At $100 it is the best bargain out there!
January 17, 2006 1:44:24 AM

Quote:
TT BigWaterSE is very good quality product.
At $100 it is the best bargain out there!

Yo man do you have a link for it??? And I did proof read my thread for my video card so go check it out pretty plz :twisted:
January 17, 2006 1:45:49 AM

Yo fellas I know i'm going off topic here, but how much better is water cooling your cpu then compared to air cooling like the zalman's and other big a$$ fans? :twisted:
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!