Locked or Unlocked?

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Ok a while back someone said the the x2 and the opty's have locked mulipliers and that the only one that is not locked are the AMD F/X chips. So are the opty's locked or unlocked? :twisted:

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Not to discredit you or anything wusy, but how did you confirm that opteron cores are unlocked. I haven't personally purchased any of the opterons, but from what I have read I have only seen a couple of people mention that they were lucky enough to recieve one with an unlocked multiplier.

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I have confirmed they are unlocked.

There we go again :?

i agree with h3llscream,post your review here please or stop making personal autoritative statements

About the original question, Hmmmmm good question i dont personally own one but i have read posts about people claiming both locked and unlocked even though most reviews are behind the Locked multiplier claim. Anyone who knows for SURE will be a great help.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I dont know about other peeps, but my 170 sure is locked. can only go up to a 10x multiplier, but can go down to anything I want. all new AMD chips should be able to go down, but only FX's should be able to go up, hence "locked".

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I guess people really dont know if it's locked or unlocked. I guess it would make sense that the opty's are locked because aren't they are pretty much the same as the x2's except for that the opty's chip is a better quality. Well if anyone has real PROOF write it down here. And for Wuss, send us a link to show your proof!!! :twisted:

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
According to my search using google I find that only a handful of people have reported to have unlocked opty's. The majority of those that have purchased them say they are locked including those that are posting in this thread.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
According to my search using google I find that only a handful of people have reported to have unlocked opty's. The majority of those that have purchased them say they are locked including those that are posting in this thread.

So far I read that they are locked upwards but not downwards. here are more links stating that they are locked. Again I'm a nub here but for wusy where are you getting info that they are unlocked? I think he's just messing with us, just trying to start some crap just to do it. :twisted:

http://www.xtremeresources.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25378

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I do remember running across a select few that reported to have unlocked opty's, but those that did have them were few and far between. All amd processor that use the cool and quiet technology have the multiplier unlocked to go down as that is how it manages energy consumption during idle times.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
So how come everyone raves about why opty's are so much better and stuff when they are pretty much the same as the x2's? Taken the chip is better quality, but other than that there're the same. Besides if you OC too much than chances are it wont last long right? I mean how stable can it be for very long? That goes for opty's and x2's. I read that the FX are unlocked so that's why they are great OCer's right? So, how is the opty's are so great at OCing when they're multipliers are locked? I ask all these stupid questions because I want to get a opty. :twisted:

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
The opterons are tested to a higher degree due to the fact that they are used mostly in server applications where uptime and stability is critical. Chances are you can get a better overclock with them due to this.

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Also when overclocking you get more of a performance boost from upping the FSB than you would by simply increasing the multiplier as you are improving overall system speed rather than just the cpu.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
:twisted: [/b]thanks guys for clearing that up for me. But like I said how much will it be able to last if you OC? I heard OCing the FSB is not good because it could cause problems?

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
It can cause problems if the pci clock isn't locked which you have to do in the bios. Other things such as running the HTT higher than 1Ghz can also cause stability problems. As to how long the cpu will last running in an overclocked condition, well that really depends on how much of an OC you plan to do, how much more heat it is going to generate as a result and how long of a period it will have to sustain elevated temps. There are no guarantees when overclocking. In most cases you void warranties when overclocking. Overclocking is more of a trial and error type of process. You overclock to high it may not boot or crash with BSOD's.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I have a feeling I'm going to e mocked anyway. Oh what the heck, like I give a damn! :D

NOt trying to mock you, it's just that's what I've been reading and that's what other people and other forums has said. Just trying to find out the FACT. :twisted:

endyen

Splendid
So how come everyone raves about why opty's are so much better and stuff when they are pretty much the same as the x2's
Opterons are cut from the center of the wafer. Ever eaten watermelon? The center is the best part.
Part of the reason people love opterons is because they dont need as much voltage to reach high OCs. It's the extra voltage that shortens chip life, not the extra speed.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
So how come everyone raves about why opty's are so much better and stuff when they are pretty much the same as the x2's
Opterons are cut from the center of the wafer. Ever eaten watermelon? The center is the best part.
Part of the reason people love opterons is because they dont need as much voltage to reach high OCs. It's the extra voltage that shortens chip life, not the extra speed.

AW thanks man. So in your opionin how much can you OC a opty 170 or 175 that are on stock volts, air cooling? Obviously not too much but so it will be stable and last hopefully for a while when it's OCed. I mean I do plan on purchasing the Opty 170 or 175 and OC it on a later time. I wouldn't feel too comfortable to do it right away.

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
to all - my opty 165 won't let me go over 9x, so if you manage to find someone's who does, please tell me how, cauz i'm interested.

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
The simple fact is a Opteron 165 is cheaper than X2 3800+ and can get higher under the same condition.
Don't take a rocket scientist to figure out the Opteron is a better deal.

we all agree to that,but that still doesnt give you the reason to lie that they are unlocked and you have "confirmed " that fact.