Comas

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I have Asus A8N5X board and AMD socket 939 3200+ venice. The thing is this: I have been overclocking my venice for a while now and have ended up to somewhere like 2500mhz. Somehow I can't change my HTT multiplier anymore. Even when I try to do it in Bios under "HT Frequency" it just seems to stay as "auto", which is 4x. I do see the list there as 1x,2x,3x,4x,5x and auto, but even when I set it as e.g 3x it still has the bus going as (250fsb x 4) = 1000mhz or 2000mhz, just like you want it.

This is just really annoying, because now I can't go for higher clocks, because clearly I had to lower the HTT from 4x to anywhere under it to get stable overclocking after 250fsb.

Please tell me if you have/have had this same problem with the HTT multiplier. I haven't tried to flash my bios or anything yet, but I will have to think up something or Im stuck with 2500mhz now 8O

NeoSpear

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
What does your computer actualy do to make you think that you cant go higher than 250fsb?

Does it BSOD?

Have you put the cpu voltage up?

I doubt you need to put the fsb voltage up... i didnt have to

Whats your memory speed and timings etc...? Have you changed the fsb to memory ratio clock thingy? (dunno what its proper name is)

My fsb is at 270 stock voltage... HTT at 4x... CPU voltage highest on highest over VID percentage thingy and memory thing at around 166 to get the normal memory speed of 200Mhz PC3200

Comas

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Im not sure is it me or did you miss the point slightly here. Anyways, the problem isn't with the cpu voltage, I have it at 1.40v when running 250fsb and 10x multi and it is pretty stable. But the problem is that I can't change my HTT multiplier. I don't know how do you have 270fsb with 4x HTT, because that would exceed the 1000mhz mark by 80mhz. As far as I know all s939 boards support 1000mhz or 2000mhz( depends how you like to count it)

You asked about that what happens when I put over 250fsb and try to boot up. Well usually it doesn't go even to windows loading screen. I have tried upping the volts, but it doesn't seem to have any affect. As I said earlier I am pretty sure the problem is the HTT multiplier here and the fact that I can't put it under 4x for some unknown reason.

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
Reset your CMOS, then try to change your HTT multiplier. If that doesn't work, then it might have been fixed in a more recent BIOS version ;p

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
You asked about that what happens when I put over 250fsb and try to boot up. Well usually it doesn't go even to windows loading screen. I have tried upping the volts, but it doesn't seem to have any affect. As I said earlier I am pretty sure the problem is the HTT multiplier here and the fact that I can't put it under 4x for some unknown reason.

You'll probably have to increase your core voltage by small increments. Also, your RAM might be clocked too high if you didn't set your RAM divider to a setting your RAM can handle. I've run the HTT at frequencies higher than 1100, without major instability issues, showing that you can overclock your HTT bus as well.

charlieyv

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I have a a8n SLI premium and my fsb reads 800mhz in AI booster...Does anyone know why? shouldnt it be at 1000 mhz...??
I dont noe how to change the fsb frec... and the multiplier is at 5x...

Comas

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I have a a8n SLI premium and my fsb reads 800mhz in AI booster...Does anyone know why? shouldnt it be at 1000 mhz...??
I dont noe how to change the fsb frec... and the multiplier is at 5x...

Sorry to come up with this answer so late, but I found that the problem actually wasn't my HT-multi. I had/still have problems with my ram and the dividers, which aren't working as they are supposed to: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/3200-Venice-Corsair-OC-quot-problem-quot-ftopict174028.html

Charlie said that he has been having problems with that Asus overclocking program. I had this same problem too and this was actually why I was so sure that there was problem with the HT-multiplier. Well, now it seems just that the Asus overclocking program is total bullshit and it doesn't read the frequencies correctly. I wouldn't recommend anyone to use it. Better to do the overclocking yourself with other programs or through Bios.