Axim X30 and wireless

a b F Wireless
September 8, 2004 4:27:32 PM

I'm a software developer who's written numerous applications for PocketPC
and used probably 6-7 different CE and PocketPC devices.

A couple months ago I purchased 3 Axim X30s w. PocketPC 2003 for a client
looking for an affordable wireless solution. It was my first experience
with PPC2003, so I need some guidance on whether this problem is a Microsoft
problem or an Axim implementation issue.

When I turn on these devices, it takes an incredible 7-10 seconds to connect
to a wireless source. Since my customers frequently turn their devices on
and off, in affect I'm they, and thus me, are out $1,500 since the devices
cannot perform tasks that any other PPC or CE devices I have used can.

1. Is this an Axim issue or a PPC2003 issue?
2. Is there any configuration override I can use to make these devices find
their wireless sources faster?
3. What recourse do I have?

More about : axim x30 wireless

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 8, 2004 10:15:31 PM

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:27:32 -0500, "Justin Weinberg"
<jweinberg@spam_off_mrgsoft.com> wrote:

>A couple months ago I purchased 3 Axim X30s w. PocketPC 2003 for a client
>looking for an affordable wireless solution. When I turn on these devices, it
> takes an incredible 7-10 seconds to connect to a wireless source.

I'm seeing 5 seconds top end. It seems independent of any change to
LAN or CPU speed settings, so I'd guess the startup isn't to do with
the network but with starting the hardware. [Checked : processor speed
switch 200/400, manual vs DHCP network settings, WLAN best performance
vs Bset power saving settings]

It *does* take much longer to start up automatically when the device
is turned off and back on, than it does when you start the WLAN with
the device switched on already.

What does Site Survey on the PPC tell you about your connection
quality to the AP?

>Since my customers frequently turn their devices on
>and off, in affect I'm they, and thus me, are out $1,500 since the devices
>cannot perform tasks that any other PPC or CE devices I have used can.

I don't see how you're out $1500 - either you got 'burned' and paid
$500 per device (they cost $280-300 tops) or you're exaggerating.

>1. Is this an Axim issue or a PPC2003 issue?

I can't speak for other PPCs as this is all I've got. But the X3i is
reproducing your results +/- 2 seconds. It uses the same hardware and
software as the X30, though I would expect a little improvement based
on the 624 vs 400 processor - this doesn't seem to happen though as
noted above.

>2. Is there any configuration override I can use to make these devices find
>their wireless sources faster?

No - see above.

Question : How long does it take to boot your laptop from hibernate
and re-acquire the WLAN connection ? Does this change the perspective?
What is it you're trying to do in those few seconds that can't wait.?

>3. What recourse do I have?

None, the devices are performing within specification, and are not
defective. Please check your written purchase agreement with Dell, to
ensure that a sub-second WLAN connection time was in your
specification, you may then have some recourse.

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 8, 2004 10:15:32 PM

From personal experience, just buying -one- h5550 blew a $1045 hole
in my pocket, AFTER a $243 discount about 6 months ago. But that's from
Euro to Dollar with the current exchange rates. I didn't buy any
accessories at that time, but I did recently and that topped it off
with another $157 for a PiTech dual CF jacket with 2200mAh battery.
Exaggeration lies in store prices ;)

$0.02

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Ouch ! Isn't it usually the other way round, that US suppliers rip off
those of us in Europe (and especially the UK :-p)

We should be able to buy Dells from the US at about £150 GBP with the
current exchange rate, it's just that Dell won't ship to the UK,
presumably we're a `terror-cell` harbouring nation ;-)

Cheers !
Neil

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:09:51 -0700, "ACE!!!"
<ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote:

>From personal experience, just buying -one- h5550 blew a $1045 hole
>in my pocket, AFTER a $243 discount about 6 months ago. But that's from
>Euro to Dollar with the current exchange rates. I didn't buy any
>accessories at that time, but I did recently and that topped it off
>with another $157 for a PiTech dual CF jacket with 2200mAh battery.
>Exaggeration lies in store prices ;)
>
>$0.02
>
>~S.
>

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in
>
>> I don't see how you're out $1500 - either you got 'burned' and paid
>> $500 per device (they cost $280-300 tops) or you're exaggerating.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2004 7:41:49 AM

I don't know and I suppose I don't -want- to know either ;)
What I now see is that US prices seem more 'normal' than ours in Europe.
But that's without shipping price :)
Basically, I think, the euro countries are experiencing now what the
UK got many years ago (went from imperial to metric if I remember
correctly?) there's companies and stores here that simply ignored the
rules set out for the conversion and didn't bother to convert at all, but
only changed the symbol in front of the price on their price tags.
(illegal according to the government officials, but they still do it
daily). Our wages did not increase 120%, in fact they are frozen for the
coming two years so everyone here is one big happy family (not) };)

--
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
!