cryptnet.dll hangs at shutdown/logoff

TOMI

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

According to all other posts about problem with cryptnet.dll I see
there is not much response but anyway.

Has anybody already solved the problem or is there anyone who can give
some information how to solve the problem ?

Thanks

Hi,

Cryptnet.dll is an Internet Explorer file. What sort of problem are you
having with it?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Tomi" <tomislav.bjelokapic@siol.net> wrote in message
> According to all other posts about problem with cryptnet.dll I see
> there is not much response but anyway.
>
> Has anybody already solved the problem or is there anyone who can give
> some information how to solve the problem ?
>
> Thanks

TOMI

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Hi,

Well i have problem with shutting down the system (WIN XP PRO).
Windows hangs when shutting down. Very interesting is that problem
does not happen always (maybe 8 of 10 times ??). I have verbose status
messages enabled, and the logoff window's status line reads "executing
c:\windows\system32\cryptnet.dll".

Any ideas?
Thnx for help !

"Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<eVhMg$phEHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Hi,
>
> Cryptnet.dll is an Internet Explorer file. What sort of problem are you
> having with it?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Tomi" <tomislav.bjelokapic@siol.net> wrote in message
> > According to all other posts about problem with cryptnet.dll I see
> > there is not much response but anyway.
> >
> > Has anybody already solved the problem or is there anyone who can give
> > some information how to solve the problem ?
> >
> > Thanks

Hi Tomi,

I've not heard of cryptnet.dll causing any hangs. I'm wondering if it is
some other process that is hanging, or calling that library file and hanging
the system. Have you noticed any similarity in programs or processes run
when the system hangs? Have you tried manually shutting down running
programs and processes before initiating the system shutdown?

--

> Hi,
>
> Well i have problem with shutting down the system (WIN XP PRO).
> Windows hangs when shutting down. Very interesting is that problem
> does not happen always (maybe 8 of 10 times ??). I have verbose status
> messages enabled, and the logoff window's status line reads "executing
> c:\windows\system32\cryptnet.dll".
>
> Any ideas?
> Thnx for help !
>
> "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Cryptnet.dll is an Internet Explorer file. What sort of problem are you
>> having with it?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Tomi" <tomislav.bjelokapic@siol.net> wrote in message
>> > According to all other posts about problem with cryptnet.dll I see
>> > there is not much response but anyway.
>> >
>> > Has anybody already solved the problem or is there anyone who can give
>> > some information how to solve the problem ?
>> >
>> > Thanks

TOMI

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

HI

I thougt that some other proccess is causing system hang, but till now
i haven't found any similarity which could cause the hang. I guess
i'll have to try your advice (manually shutting down runing processes
before shutdown).

Do you maybe know which process could be the one ??
What is the actuall function of cryptnet.dll ??

Thanks

"Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<u7#yyrxhEHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Hi Tomi,
>
> I've not heard of cryptnet.dll causing any hangs. I'm wondering if it is
> some other process that is hanging, or calling that library file and hanging
> the system. Have you noticed any similarity in programs or processes run
> when the system hangs? Have you tried manually shutting down running
> programs and processes before initiating the system shutdown?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Hi,

I would start with all non-system processes. I don't have a lot of
information on that library file itself, but I do know it has to do with
processing certificates.

--

> HI
>
> I thougt that some other proccess is causing system hang, but till now
> i haven't found any similarity which could cause the hang. I guess
> i'll have to try your advice (manually shutting down runing processes
> before shutdown).
>
> Do you maybe know which process could be the one ??
> What is the actuall function of cryptnet.dll ??
>
> Thanks
>

> "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Tomi,
>>
>> I've not heard of cryptnet.dll causing any hangs. I'm wondering if it is
>> some other process that is hanging, or calling that library file and
>> hanging
>> the system. Have you noticed any similarity in programs or processes run
>> when the system hangs? Have you tried manually shutting down running
>> programs and processes before initiating the system shutdown?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

It's nice to see that other people have the same problem.
It seems that the "winlogon" process should signal the relevant DLLs
to logoff, as part of the shutdown/logoff process, and it is waiting
for them to complete their exist before it continues.
I played around with the "winlogon\notify" part of the registry, and
it is possible to make the signaliing asynchronous, instead of
synchronous (or at least so it seems). When I changed that, I got the
shutdown hanging on the next DLL on the list, etc. (but making all the
DLLs asynchronous did not solve the problem)
I could not find any information about what is actually going on when
shutting down Window XP, in order to understand the issue.
Can someone please refer me to material about the issue?
Thanks

TOMI

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

Hi all,

I have made some exploring in processes run at shutdown/restart. I
have script which is run at shutdown/restart and it saves list of
processes into a text file.
Interesting is that if I compare file which was made without shutdown
error and file made with error, there isn't any processes in ERROR
FILE which are NOT IN NON-ERROR FILE !

Does anyone know what would be the next action about this ?

Hi All,
Any news about this issue?
Any ideas how to debug the shutdown of the DLLS?
Thanks