What is the purpose of Citrix?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 27, 2005 2:59:18 PM

If a windowsXP client can access terminal services with the built-in Remote
Desktop Connection then what is the purpose of a Citrix client on the same
machine?

(currently we have citrix metaframe running on the TS)

Joseph

More about : purpose citrix

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:49:03 PM

More features:

Higher resolutions available than Remote Desktop's 1600x1200 display.
Multi-level sound support (low, medium, high quality)
SpeedScreen Technology (automatic image compression, to reduce bandwidth
used by large images)
Local Text Echo & click queueing (increases typing & mousing perceived
performance over latent connections)
Universal Print Drivers (adds natively unsupported printers via LaserJet
4500 Driver)
GUI Printer Mapping Console
Program Neighborhood Agent (allows you to launch Citrix Applications when
users click on an associated file type, i.e. user does not have Word on their
workstation, but clicks on a .doc file, which autoatically spawns a Citrix
Word Session)
Intelligent Load Balancing of servers and applications
Citrix Web Interface (publishes individual applications from any Citrix
Server in any farm, as specified by the administrator, to a user friendly web
portal)
Citrix Secure Gateway (proxies access to the Citrix Servers via the Citrix
Web Interface and SSL Connection, so users don't need access to non-standard
ports and you have less ports open on your firewall)
Printer Bandwidth Management - limit print jobs to xyzKb bandwidth per session
One to many, many to many shadowing
Anonymous Application Publishing
Built in Application Installation Manager, with Enterprise Edition.
Does not require Enterprise Edition to load balance and reconnect users to
original sessions.
Clients for virtually every type of client.
Citrix Management Console, a central management console for all of your
servers.

I could go on, and on.... but terminal servers get difficult to manage with
a program like Citrix MetaFrame or Tarantella SGD when you have more than a
few of them.

More info here:
http://www.workthin.com/citrix.htm

All add-on products