What is the purpose of Citrix?

If a windowsXP client can access terminal services with the built-in Remote
Desktop Connection then what is the purpose of a Citrix client on the same
machine?

(currently we have citrix metaframe running on the TS)

Joseph
1 answer Last reply
More about what purpose citrix
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    More features:

    Higher resolutions available than Remote Desktop's 1600x1200 display.
    Multi-level sound support (low, medium, high quality)
    SpeedScreen Technology (automatic image compression, to reduce bandwidth
    used by large images)
    Local Text Echo & click queueing (increases typing & mousing perceived
    performance over latent connections)
    Universal Print Drivers (adds natively unsupported printers via LaserJet
    4500 Driver)
    GUI Printer Mapping Console
    Program Neighborhood Agent (allows you to launch Citrix Applications when
    users click on an associated file type, i.e. user does not have Word on their
    workstation, but clicks on a .doc file, which autoatically spawns a Citrix
    Word Session)
    Intelligent Load Balancing of servers and applications
    Citrix Web Interface (publishes individual applications from any Citrix
    Server in any farm, as specified by the administrator, to a user friendly web
    portal)
    Citrix Secure Gateway (proxies access to the Citrix Servers via the Citrix
    Web Interface and SSL Connection, so users don't need access to non-standard
    ports and you have less ports open on your firewall)
    Printer Bandwidth Management - limit print jobs to xyzKb bandwidth per session
    One to many, many to many shadowing
    Anonymous Application Publishing
    Built in Application Installation Manager, with Enterprise Edition.
    Does not require Enterprise Edition to load balance and reconnect users to
    original sessions.
    Clients for virtually every type of client.
    Citrix Management Console, a central management console for all of your
    servers.

    I could go on, and on.... but terminal servers get difficult to manage with
    a program like Citrix MetaFrame or Tarantella SGD when you have more than a
    few of them.

    More info here:
    http://www.workthin.com/citrix.htm

    All add-on products
    http://www.workthin.com/tsao.htm

    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    http://www.workthin.com

    "S.Joseph" wrote:

    > If a windowsXP client can access terminal services with the built-in Remote
    > Desktop Connection then what is the purpose of a Citrix client on the same
    > machine?
    >
    > (currently we have citrix metaframe running on the TS)
    >

    > Joseph

Terminal Connection Desktops Microsoft Citrix Windows