Micro ATX Socket 754 Board Recommendation

mt_100

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I am building a new system in an Antec Aria case and looking for a motherboard for it.

I want a board with a firewire connector on it for the front port on the case and I was also hoping for an SIS chipset instead of a VIA chipset but I can comprimise. It also has to have AGP instead of PCI-E as I will need to use my Radeon 9600 256bm card on it.

I have found these boards that fit the requirements and wanted a recommendation. I cannot find a retailer that sells either of the Foxconn boards and the Abit only has two PCI slots and I would like three. an anyone help me out on a recommendation or where to get the Foxconn boards?

SIS Chipset
Foxconn 760GXK8MB-ERS
Foxconn K8S760MG-6ELRS

VIA Chipset
Abit KV-80
DFI K8M800-MLVF

mt_100

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I actually use the computer for everything. I run web servers, FTP server, basic home PC and some good gaming.

I was wondering if it would be better to get a motherboard with a PCI-E slot and integrated geforce 6100 graphics but I am not sure how that would compare performance wise to my current Radeon 9600 256mb AGP card.

Also, anyone know about the DFI board which seems to have 3 PCI and firewire?

I also found a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800M for a great price and it has three PCI and no firewire.

I am really currious what people think about the graphics performance and the SIS versus VIA chipsets.

I currently have a Gigabyte GA-7VM400M (VIA) and it runs ok.