May 18, 2004
asus v9999/td graphics
asus a7v880 mobo
amd 2900+ (200hz)
512mg pc3200 400hz ram
windows xp

this has got me baffled
ive tried every thing to get this damn graphics card to run stable
every thing is fine until i try and run a game or bench mark then it just spits me back to windows or sometimes even the blue screen of death.

every thing was running sweet with me old ti 4200 then i popped in the v9999/td and it started crashing
ive done all of the ussual things to try and sort it
all drivers updated
then tried older drivers(as some on this forum have had issues with newer ones)
asus drivers (with and without enhanced driver)
pull every thing out of the machine bit by bit
different memory sticks
turned every thing down and disabled every thing that was not needed in the bios
even formated c and reinstalled windows
tried under clocking the card as well
all to no availl

until
set my memory to run at 333 rather than 400hz (166*2, 200*2)
bingo every thing runs sweet

looks like the memory then.
tried differnt memory, just the same
so i puts my old ti4200 back in and put the memory back to 400hz and it was totaly stable
and i threw a lot of bench marks and memory testers at it

then clocked the memory up to 440hz and did the same again
left a memory tester running for about 18hrs with no probs

so maybe its not the memory then
put the v9999 back in
system startted failing immeditly
turned the memory back down to 333hz and it runs fine

have just finished running every graphics intensive program at it (3d mark 01, 03, 05, bench them all with far cry and doom 3 and one i set to loop for about 2 hrs called n bench v3
and its great stable as any thing
but the second i turn the memory back up to 400hz it goes to pot again

so what do you rekon is this card had it, or has anyone got any good ideas before i go out of my tiny mind

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
your power supply needs changing to a higher more powerful 1, tagan 480watt or enermax are good look for at least 480 +watts.

glyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
thanks ever so for the quick reply
it's got a 350 watt at the moment
and i'll be well pleased if it is a simple matter of bolting in a power suply.
not wanting to sound like i'm doughting you or any thing,but what is the best way to test if it is the power supply
dont want to fork out for it then still have the problem

thanks

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I have a 6800GT/128Mb Asus V9999 card - I assume this is what yours is.

I had shitloads of problems with it, in combination with my Epox 9NDA3J motherboard - it wouldn't crash though, it would just pause at random intervals while playing games, for a few seconds, and then carry on as normal. It was very frustrating.

I tried everything under the sun, but nothing worked. The problem WAS, however, greatly relieved if I dropped my memory speed - it was still there, but would only do it once or twice an hour, instead of every couple of minutes. The Slower I made the RAM, the better the problem got.

I replaced the card with an older Geforce Ti4600 and it ran fine, BUT I also stuck the card in a different PC, and that seems fine too. So the motherboard was ok, the card seems ok, but put the two together, and It's crap.

In the end I've admitted defeat and bought a new motherboard and card, which you can see in the sig. I'm selling the Asus card, and hopefully it'll work ok for whoever buys it (I will, of course, Not take money until I know it's fine in their system)

Just seems odd that someone else had issues with this card which were allieviated by reducing system memory speed.

A brief glance had me prepared to agree on PSU, but If it was a dodgy power supply, I would expect a miniscule improvement in stability from reducing memory speed, not for it to be so black/white. Memory doesn't use much power really.

I would agree your PSU does sound low, but I can't see just dropping memory speed making enough of a difference to go from crashing to completely stable.

I know this post isn't a lot of help, but just saying I don't necessarily feel it's a PSU issue - there may be something weird up with some of these cards.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Oh, and just for reference, the System I put the 6800GT in (which is still running ok) is:
Athlon XP @2 Ghz (200x10)
Epox 8RDA+
512Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
6800GT
FSP 350W PSU

.. So it's not so old and crappy that it should make a difference... it's ok besides a bit of a lack of RAM.

glyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
thanks for the input
the card i have was sold as a v9999;/td 128mg 325hz 700hz

i wanted to be sure it was a power issue before i splashed out on a new psu (times is hard. sob, sob)
last night i changed my psu over to an old 300w i had lying around, just to see if it would make matters worse or not.
low and behold it only managed a complete run at 3d mark 03 (8673 nothing clocked)
all my usb ports shut down while i ran it though!!
looks like it is psu then
i will post result once i pick one up
many thanks to every one for all the advice

glyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
many thanks
my new hiper power suply arrived today
bolted it in and no problem
machine and card are running sweet
it was also worth buying just for the peace, it is soooo quiet