ghost909

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
:?:

What's the best s939 mobo? I was thinking of getting the DFI Lanparty NF4 UT SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 ATX Motherboard.

Should I go with this or a different motherboard, such as Asus?

Also I would like a mobo that supports X2 in case of a possible upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

SR71

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2005
Head over to DFI-Street and check out their forums. The "Expert" is new & raw and they are working hard to get the bugs fixed and the BIOS tweaked. AND no 'enthusiast" group out there is as devoted as the DFI folks - a year from now that mobo will be a force to be reckoned with for performance. It will keep 939's running strong for a few years while all the BLING dies down over the release of the AM2 socket and it's processor line.

That EPOX is a great board by the way, as is the regular ABIT AN8-SLI.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I doubt there is a "best" socket 939 motherboard, or any other for that matter. There are several really good boards out there, and a few are mentioned here. To get the board that would best suit your needs, you'd need to tell us a bit more about what you want to do with your system, since each board has its strengths and weaknesses. No need to spend money on needless features. My experience in 9 years of custom system building is there is nothing magic about Asus. Not that are bad boards, to the contrary, they are generally good boards. But make no mitake, no company has the market cornered on the "best boards". All of the major makers have some great boards, and their not so great boards. Take specific opinions on your query with at least a small grain of salt. Others have given their opinions, this is mine.

linux_0

Splendid
I agree that all manufacturers have their "good" boards and their "not so good" boards.

In fact most offer:

0. top of the line fully loaded boards like the DFI Lanparty series or ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe / Premium

1. regular SLI boards minus the premium features (A8N-SLI)

2. high end nForce4 boards without SLI (A8N-E)

3. mid-range vanilla nForce4/nForce3/VIA/etc boards

4. value boards VIA/ULI/SiS/GeForce 6150/etc usually with integrated graphics

5. junk boards ( not all mfg's make junk boards however every mfg has released very flaky boards at least once - some are repeat offenders however :!: PC Chips? ECS? )

Semper Fi Linux on!