GPO setting

Hello,

I have a question:
I want two things be default for my TS users
1. display the time in the notification area
2. save explorer settings (f.e. details display)

1) in the GPO I can see a settings 'prevent display time in notification
area'
whatever settings I use, the time isn't displayed. I can't find the settings
I see in the properties of the taskbar
'display clock'
How can I force users to see the time in the taskbar.

2) When a user changes his settings in explorer for the viewstyle (details)
the settings isn't saved. Note, the users is a normal users, not a power
user.

thanks in advance

Bernard

Hi,

I just tried 5.1 and 5.2 client on win2000 and winXP connecting regular user
to Terminal Server running WIn2003 and can not repro.

On the session the Taskbar properties when checked to display clock are
cached and every next session from this user has the clock displayed on the
session.

Can you be more specific what OS and client version you are using?

Could you please, restore your default system settings and try to use only
the Task-Bar properties to set the clock.

--
Zenon Pilat (MS)
---

"Bernard Dijkhuizen" <b.dijkhuizen@jestorkair.nl> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a question:
> I want two things be default for my TS users
> 1. display the time in the notification area
> 2. save explorer settings (f.e. details display)
>
> 1) in the GPO I can see a settings 'prevent display time in notification
> area'
> whatever settings I use, the time isn't displayed. I can't find the
> settings I see in the properties of the taskbar
> 'display clock'
> How can I force users to see the time in the taskbar.
>
> 2) When a user changes his settings in explorer for the viewstyle
> (details) the settings isn't saved. Note, the users is a normal users, not
> a power user.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Bernard

I run windows 2003 Terminal server with a webclient from XP.

When a new user logs in he is restricted via the GPO. One of the
restrictions is, he can't go to the properties of the taskbar. By default
(somehow.. I can't figure out where) the clock isn't displayed but the user
can't turn it on.

The other thing is, the user can change the view settings of explorer but
the changes are lost when he logs out. Maybe to restricted....

Bernard

"Zenon Pilat [MS]" <zenonp@online.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> I just tried 5.1 and 5.2 client on win2000 and winXP connecting regular
> user to Terminal Server running WIn2003 and can not repro.
>
> On the session the Taskbar properties when checked to display clock are
> cached and every next session from this user has the clock displayed on
> the session.
>
> Can you be more specific what OS and client version you are using?
>
> Could you please, restore your default system settings and try to use only
> the Task-Bar properties to set the clock.
>

> --
> Zenon Pilat (MS)
> ---
> ---
>
> "Bernard Dijkhuizen" <b.dijkhuizen@jestorkair.nl> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question:
>> I want two things be default for my TS users
>> 1. display the time in the notification area
>> 2. save explorer settings (f.e. details display)
>>
>> 1) in the GPO I can see a settings 'prevent display time in notification
>> area'
>> whatever settings I use, the time isn't displayed. I can't find the
>> settings I see in the properties of the taskbar
>> 'display clock'
>> How can I force users to see the time in the taskbar.
>>
>> 2) When a user changes his settings in explorer for the viewstyle
>> (details) the settings isn't saved. Note, the users is a normal users,
>> not a power user.
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Bernard

Sounds like the user is a guest, which loses his/her settings at logoff. The
most basic way to set the default settings for new user profiles is to
customize a user profile with the settings you desire (for new users), then
copy this profile over the Default user profile " \Documents and
Settings\Default User" (hidden by default).

New user profiles (with the exception of existing roaming & mandatory
profiles) are derived from the Default User Profile.

This is no different than setting the default profile in any Windows NT
based OS, i.e. NT4, 2000, XP, 2003...

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com