no idea whats wrong wit p4 3.2

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
got a question, after runnin my pc for a couple hours and my temps hit about 52-56 celcius my cpu speed goes from 3.2 (stock) to 1.7-2.2ghz any idea why this is happening? not doing any intese gaming, just browsing the web and running aim, compents are in my sig for those that want to s it

h3llscream

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
That could be the speedstep function kicking in. When your computer isn't under any real demand it will underclock the processor to reduce power consumption. It works very much like cool and quiet does for AMD.

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
true, but the program that i use shows auctly usage and it has never droped below 3.2 before, it might be theroticly clocking slower, but alwayz shows right aroudn 3.2, and even when i turned that off it was doin the same thing

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Well, its not due to heat. Prescott's start underclocking near 67C

Celeron (prescotts cores) start underclocking just a bit higher...71C I think (lack of cache really helps)

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
virus maybey? i overclocked one time, but core was at 23 celcius cuz i did it outside in winter, but i dont think that hurt nething, might be northbridge heating up though

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
tried it didnt do much, but some other stuff keeps flipin out, considering wiping and restarting, video drivers wont stay installed, ect., so any other sugestions?

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
so ur sayin that my low clock speed is cuz im bein hacked?ive alwayz had driver issues, and i have nvidias anithacker friewall up (no idea how good it is), and is there neway to fix it? more or less, am i bein hacked or just a bad build

endyen

Splendid
A hacker could use clockgen to alter your speed. He could also uninstall drivers, or install incompatable ones. I use a router, and software to firewall, but was still hacked once.
Either way, your best bet is to start with a clean install.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I Know The Problem!!... Its A Pentium (No, J/K) Wait... Your CPU Is Hitting That High A Temp During Web Surfing? (Just Need Ta Know, Because I Have A Theory)

linux_0

Splendid
The Prescotts require some high quality thermal paste on the core to properly transfer heat to the heatsink....

A while back, they experienced clock-throttling with nearly all Prescotts until they switched to using Intel's supplied thermal paste....it appears they (Intel)know what they were doing...(The 'brand name' pastes were not cutting it!)

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
his temps look fine compared to my system which idles at 50-52 degrees C

my prescott doesn't throttle until it hits high seventies... then increases throughout the 80's and doesn't allow the temp to go past the 90'c mark

Ara

RichPLS

Champion
I believe you are wrong, my tests indicate the 3.2 does not underclock till it hits 80C.

I have a Prescott 3200 478pin CPU and mine runs at around 58C and under load gets close to 70C...
Throttling of the CPU does not occur till you reach 80C, which is reaching the danger range.

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
sry its taken me so long, 64bit os is havin some trouble and my cpu temps are hittin high 80s now, no idea whats wrong plz help, tried everything i no of, and that 80 temp is wit everything outside of the case

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
no overclocking, usin intels stuff bout to go get some other stuff cuz it aint workin, maxed out at about 178, near threshold, so im a lil worried and cpu is retail not oem

linux_0

Splendid
no overclocking, usin intels stuff bout to go get some other stuff cuz it aint workin, maxed out at about 178, near threshold, so im a lil worried and cpu is retail not oem

The stock cooler is supposed to be sufficient and the thermal paste is supposed to be pretty good.... dunno....

If you do go with aftermarket I would suggest one of the coolers below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=1647&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=585%3A8655&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=62&Submit=Property

minus the VGA and misc coolers of course.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223

The 120mm one is quite large so please check to make sure it will fit.

The smaller version should work too.

Do you have power management turned off?

What kind of motherboard do you have?

What are your overall system specs? mobo, RAM, PSU, HDDs, etc.

Semper Fi Linux on! :D

DeathwingX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
the compents are in my sig, got watercooling now so everything is alright runnin 100 ferenhit idle hehe, not bad for me, neway thanks for that cared