Performance issues w/ x2 and asus a8n-e

sagaticus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
I've posted the current readings from the n-tune app and the asus probe app below:

specs of new machine:
x2 3800+
asus a8n-e
adata 2gb (timing= 3-4-4-8) (cas= 3)
evga 6800gs 256mb (now with pci-e power cable)
wd 250gb SATA II

I don't think I'm getting the performance I should from this system. Reasons: use of moderately graphics intensive apps i.e. desktop sidebar and windows blinds (a skin app) runs way too choppy. Although, CPU charts from task manager remain under 20% (CPU Usage Performance) about 90% of the time while multitasking; which is obviousl very good. However, the issue(s?) seems to be with data transfer and intense graphics.

While transfering 3GB from another pc on my lan, the file transfer window on my new machine would rerender every inch you moved it. Not smooth when moving around, and stayed stuck on "15 minutes remaining" for like 20 mins!

I was receiving a err msg from nvidia stating that my gpu performance has been decreased due to a lack of power. Well, Newegg shipped my graphics card w/ SATA power cables instead of a pci-e cable, so that was probably why. I just picked one up for $4 down the street and plugged it into my gpu, err msg went away and performance remains bleak.

ntune2.jpg

ntune1.jpg

voltage.jpg

I'm assuming that some BIOS changes would most likely solve my problems. Can I give you any more info to help troubleshoot? Just think that a grand for a brand new system should be capable of running xp/sp-2!

thanks![/img]

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Are you running Cool n' Quite? If so, disable it in the BIOS. Also download AMD's chip driver.

There's a known issue with the X2 processors (actually, a Windows issue) that if the computer is running for a couple of hours, the performance will drop dramatically. You can restart each time or just follow the above advice. There's a Microsoft hotfix also - however, I tried it and wound up having to restore a backup (thank you Acronis) b/c it messed up my system. I disabled CnQ and installed the AMD driver and everything works fine.