How to connect Terminal server behind the router.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 1, 2005 7:32:59 AM

I have annoying problem with terminal server behind the router.
I have terminal server running on Window 2000 server which is connected to
the router.

I have no problem running the remote desktop behind the router.
From remote desktop, 192.168.1.100(terminal server ip).

But I cannot access the terminal server from the other side of the router.
ex, www.xxx.yyy.zzzz

I tried the following.

(1) enable the dmz --- failure
(2) open port 3389 for tcp --- failure

I have linksys wireless router WRT55AG(ver 2)

Thanks.

--
Daniel Kim
compumate99@yahoo.com

You need to publish your terminal server on the internet using NAT. So for
example your internal ip addy is 192.168.1.100 - You will need to map this
ip address to a public ip address which your internet service provider
provides you with, and if they haven't give you a range all you need to do
is give them a call and ask.

If you need help in setting up the above just give us a shout!

Cheers
Neplitude
"Daniel" <compumate99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have annoying problem with terminal server behind the router.
> I have terminal server running on Window 2000 server which is connected to
> the router.
>
> I have no problem running the remote desktop behind the router.
> From remote desktop, 192.168.1.100(terminal server ip).
>
> But I cannot access the terminal server from the other side of the router.
> ex, www.xxx.yyy.zzzz
>
> I tried the following.
>
> (1) enable the dmz --- failure
> (2) open port 3389 for tcp --- failure
>
> I have linksys wireless router WRT55AG(ver 2)
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Daniel Kim
> compumate99@yahoo.com

April 1, 2005 10:19:08 PM

I have public ip given by my ISP, and My router is setup using static IP.
And I tried the methods I specified in the original message. (port
forwarding or dmz)
Port # was 3389 and it matched with port specified in the registry.

"Neplitude" <nicola@iafrica.com> wrote in message
> You need to publish your terminal server on the internet using NAT. So for
> example your internal ip addy is 192.168.1.100 - You will need to map this
> ip address to a public ip address which your internet service provider
> provides you with, and if they haven't give you a range all you need to do
> is give them a call and ask.
>
> If you need help in setting up the above just give us a shout!
>
> Cheers
> Neplitude
> "Daniel" <compumate99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have annoying problem with terminal server behind the router.
>> I have terminal server running on Window 2000 server which is connected
>> to the router.
>>
>> I have no problem running the remote desktop behind the router.
>> From remote desktop, 192.168.1.100(terminal server ip).
>>
>> But I cannot access the terminal server from the other side of the
>> router.
>> ex, www.xxx.yyy.zzzz
>>
>> I tried the following.
>>
>> (1) enable the dmz --- failure
>> (2) open port 3389 for tcp --- failure
>>
>> I have linksys wireless router WRT55AG(ver 2)
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Daniel Kim
>> compumate99@yahoo.com

April 2, 2005 5:19:41 PM

The question is... Are you using NAT on the router?

>I have public ip given by my ISP, and My router is setup using static IP.
> And I tried the methods I specified in the original message. (port
> forwarding or dmz)
> Port # was 3389 and it matched with port specified in the registry.
>
> "Neplitude" <nicola@iafrica.com> wrote in message
>> You need to publish your terminal server on the internet using NAT. So
>> for example your internal ip addy is 192.168.1.100 - You will need to map
>> this ip address to a public ip address which your internet service
>> provider provides you with, and if they haven't give you a range all you
>> need to do is give them a call and ask.
>>
>> If you need help in setting up the above just give us a shout!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Neplitude
>> "Daniel" <compumate99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have annoying problem with terminal server behind the router.
>>> I have terminal server running on Window 2000 server which is connected
>>> to the router.
>>>
>>> I have no problem running the remote desktop behind the router.
>>> From remote desktop, 192.168.1.100(terminal server ip).
>>>
>>> But I cannot access the terminal server from the other side of the
>>> router.
>>> ex, www.xxx.yyy.zzzz
>>>
>>> I tried the following.
>>>
>>> (1) enable the dmz --- failure
>>> (2) open port 3389 for tcp --- failure
>>>
>>> I have linksys wireless router WRT55AG(ver 2)
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Daniel Kim
>>> compumate99@yahoo.com

April 5, 2005 5:49:46 AM

No I do not.

"Neplitude" <nicola@iafrica.com> wrote in message
news:o s19jX3NFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> The question is... Are you using NAT on the router?
>
> "Daniel" <compumate99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have public ip given by my ISP, and My router is setup using static IP.
>> And I tried the methods I specified in the original message. (port
>> forwarding or dmz)
>> Port # was 3389 and it matched with port specified in the registry.
>>
>> "Neplitude" <nicola@iafrica.com> wrote in message
>>> You need to publish your terminal server on the internet using NAT. So
>>> for example your internal ip addy is 192.168.1.100 - You will need to
>>> map this ip address to a public ip address which your internet service
>>> provider provides you with, and if they haven't give you a range all you
>>> need to do is give them a call and ask.
>>>
>>> If you need help in setting up the above just give us a shout!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Neplitude
>>> "Daniel" <compumate99@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:29:54 PM

Hi,
I have a home network with Win2K Terminal Services enable, it works
perfectly .
I do'nt have static IP so I use the free Dynamic DSN service of
http://www.dyndns.org .
I have the Netgear router, just do a Port Forwarding on 3389 . It should be
the same with
the Linksys . You have to set fix IP for your Windows 2K server , Ex:
192.168.1.100
and set the port forwarding for this internal IP . NEVER USE dmz , because
it will
expose whole your server to the Internet .

Regards

Thomas T.

!