I recently put together a new system. Specs are as follows:

550W power supply
AMD 4400+ Dual Core 64bit x2
EVGA 7800GTX
2 GB DDR PC3200 400 Mhz Memory
Western Digital 250 GB HD 16mb Cache SATAII
Maxtor 200 GB HD 8mb Cache
Gigabyte's GA-K8N-SLI Motherboard

When I first started up my computer, all worked fine. I put in the driver CD that came with the Gfx card and install the drivers. Right as the install bar fills up, my monitor goes blank and hybernates. No amount of mouse wiggling fixes it.

So I restart. Same problem. Right after the Windows XP Pro Edition splash screen the monitor goes blank and hybernates.

So I boot up in safe mode. All works fine in safe mode, so I uninstall the graphics drivers and boot into normal windows. It works fine. I reinstall the drivers and back to square 1. After repeating the boot into safe mode and uninstall procedure, I download the Nvidia drivers from their website and install. Same problem. I uninstall those drivers.

I've also tried changing the ports on the video card and still no luck, when I turn my monitor back on after it goes blank, I get a No Signal message.

So I come here to ask for help. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

I've been troubleshooting this for 5 days now, still no luck.

Help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

-Craig

cleanburn

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
I am experiencing the exact same problem symptom when installing drivers for a BFG 6800 GS OC. I have the following system configuration:

Mobo: Abit KG7-RAID (BIOS v6.00 PG, 03-MAR-06)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (266 FSB)
RAM: 512 MB DDR133
PS: 450W (dedicated plug to GPU)
GPU: BFG 6800 GS OC (IRQ 12, not shared by any other devices)

This is a solid system that has been running (Gainward) Nvidia chipsets since day one. This is the first time I have gone with BFG and this is the first time I have had any hardware conflicts.

I upgraded my GPU from a Gainward Geforce 4 Ti 4600 to a BFG 6800 GS OC. I uninstalled all Nvidia software drivers prior to replacing the card. When attempting to install the newest drivers for the 6800 GS (Beta v82.12), the installation crashes and a blank screen with a blinking cursor is displayed in the upper left corner.

The only drivers that have been configured to detect the 6800 GS chipset (in the driver *.inf file) are the drivers on BFG's CD and Nvidia's newest beta drivers (v82.12). The system also crashes after installing the drivers manually via hardware manager. I have attempted to install all driver verions between v71.89 and v82.12. I have also upgraded the mainboard BIOS firmware and AGP chipset drivers.

After installing the card on Win98SE, I was able to utilized the graphics engine only for basic rendering demos (ie. the bubble and reflective pond). All demos for the 6800 crashed and generated page faults.

Windows XP did not detect any IRQ conflicts even though ACPI allowed the card to share IRQ 14 with four other devices. To be sure there were no IRQ conflicts, I started with a clean base install of Windows XP Pro with ACPI disabled (F7 during installation). The card is now using IRQ 12 alone.

I have opened a service ticket with BFG. BFG has only recommended that I update my mainboard BIOS and use the drivers on the CD.

I am currently scanning forums at www.bfggaming.com for potentially helpful information.