XP connecting to Terminal server

Mike

Splendid

Hi,

I have al laptop with xp home on it and it connected fine to the terminal
server. But the temporary license (90 days) expired and I couldn't connect
to the terminal server anymore.
I then upgrade the machine to XP pro because pro has a CAL build in to it.
But still I cannot connect to the Terminal server.
Anybody know how to fix this?

grtx
Mike

*No* client OS has a TS CAL build into the OS!

When a Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro client connects to a Windows 2000
Terminal Server, they receive a free TS CAL from the TS Licensing
Server. The free TS CAL for these clients is build into the TS
Licensing Server, not into the clients!

So you must install and activate a TS Licensing Server.
Note also that the above only applies to connections made to a
Windows 2000 Terminal Server. If your TS runs Windows 2003, you
will need to purchase and install a TS CAL for every client,
including XP Pro.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 18 apr 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

> Hi,
>
> I have al laptop with xp home on it and it connected fine to the
> terminal server. But the temporary license (90 days) expired and
> I couldn't connect to the terminal server anymore.
> I then upgrade the machine to XP pro because pro has a CAL build
> in to it. But still I cannot connect to the Terminal server.
> Anybody know how to fix this?
>
> grtx
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

When I opened the TS Licensing Server on my W2K server and tried to see the
properties I got an error message. I deinstalled the Licensing Server and
reinstalled it, activated it.
I now only connect with W2K pro and XP pro machines.
When I open the Licensing Server to see which CALs are issued, there are
none. No permanent and no temporary. Is this normal?

Mike

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> schreef in bericht
> *No* client OS has a TS CAL build into the OS!
>
> When a Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro client connects to a Windows 2000
> Terminal Server, they receive a free TS CAL from the TS Licensing
> Server. The free TS CAL for these clients is build into the TS
> Licensing Server, not into the clients!
>
> So you must install and activate a TS Licensing Server.
> Note also that the above only applies to connections made to a
> Windows 2000 Terminal Server. If your TS runs Windows 2003, you
> will need to purchase and install a TS CAL for every client,
> including XP Pro.
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 18 apr 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have al laptop with xp home on it and it connected fine to the
>> terminal server. But the temporary license (90 days) expired and
>> I couldn't connect to the terminal server anymore.
>> I then upgrade the machine to XP pro because pro has a CAL build
>> in to it. But still I cannot connect to the Terminal server.
>> Anybody know how to fix this?
>>
>> grtx
>> Mike

No, that's not normal. You should see a line about "Existing Windows
2000 Server - TS CAL Token (Per Device)", with Type: Built-in,
Available: Unlimited and Issued: the number of W2K Pro and XP Pro
clients that have connected at least twice.

What error message did you get when you tried to install the LS? Is
there anything in the EventLog on the TS or the LS? Are they running
on the same server? Is the LS running on your Domain Controller? Can
the TS locate the LS?

--

"Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 20 apr 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

> When I opened the TS Licensing Server on my W2K server and tried
> to see the properties I got an error message. I deinstalled the
> Licensing Server and reinstalled it, activated it.
> I now only connect with W2K pro and XP pro machines.
> When I open the Licensing Server to see which CALs are issued,
> there are none. No permanent and no temporary. Is this normal?
>
> Mike
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
> schreef in bericht
>> *No* client OS has a TS CAL build into the OS!
>>
>> When a Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro client connects to a Windows
>> 2000 Terminal Server, they receive a free TS CAL from the TS
>> Licensing Server. The free TS CAL for these clients is build
>> into the TS Licensing Server, not into the clients!
>>
>> So you must install and activate a TS Licensing Server.
>> Note also that the above only applies to connections made to a
>> Windows 2000 Terminal Server. If your TS runs Windows 2003, you
>> will need to purchase and install a TS CAL for every client,
>> including XP Pro.
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 18 apr 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have al laptop with xp home on it and it connected fine to
>>> the terminal server. But the temporary license (90 days)
>>> expired and I couldn't connect to the terminal server anymore.
>>> I then upgrade the machine to XP pro because pro has a CAL
>>> build in to it. But still I cannot connect to the Terminal
>>> server. Anybody know how to fix this?
>>>
>>> grtx
>>> Mike

Mike

Splendid

I didn't get an error when installing LS, I got an error when I tried to
look at the properties of the running LS. I then deinstalled LS and
reinstalled LS without any error.
The TS and LS are on one machine this machine is no DC.

When I open LS I see a tree with All servers - Servername - Existing windows
2000 License
When I click on the servername I see the existing licenses type built-in but
none is issued. Total =unlimited Available=unlimited Issued=0.

All TS clients can connect normal, no problems there.

> No, that's not normal. You should see a line about "Existing Windows
> 2000 Server - TS CAL Token (Per Device)", with Type: Built-in,
> Available: Unlimited and Issued: the number of W2K Pro and XP Pro
> clients that have connected at least twice.
>
> What error message did you get when you tried to install the LS? Is
> there anything in the EventLog on the TS or the LS? Are they running
> on the same server? Is the LS running on your Domain Controller? Can
> the TS locate the LS?
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>
> "Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 20 apr 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>
>> When I opened the TS Licensing Server on my W2K server and tried
>> to see the properties I got an error message. I deinstalled the
>> Licensing Server and reinstalled it, activated it.
>> I now only connect with W2K pro and XP pro machines.
>> When I open the Licensing Server to see which CALs are issued,
>> there are none. No permanent and no temporary. Is this normal?
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>> schreef in bericht
>>> *No* client OS has a TS CAL build into the OS!
>>>
>>> When a Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro client connects to a Windows
>>> 2000 Terminal Server, they receive a free TS CAL from the TS
>>> Licensing Server. The free TS CAL for these clients is build
>>> into the TS Licensing Server, not into the clients!
>>>
>>> So you must install and activate a TS Licensing Server.
>>> Note also that the above only applies to connections made to a
>>> Windows 2000 Terminal Server. If your TS runs Windows 2003, you
>>> will need to purchase and install a TS CAL for every client,
>>> including XP Pro.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Vera Noest
>>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>>
>>> "Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 18 apr 2005 in
>>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

A W2K Licensing Server on a non-DC? That must mean that the server
is either a member of a NT4 domain, or a stand-alone server in a
workgroup. In a W2K or 2003 domain, the LS cannot run on a member
server.
Can you confirm this?

Have you checked the EventLog on the server? It sounds to me as if
the TS cannot locate the LS (which is possible, even when they run
on the same machine). If that is the problem, hardcode the address
in the registry:

239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
License Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107

--

"Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 21 apr 2005:

> I didn't get an error when installing LS, I got an error when I
> tried to look at the properties of the running LS. I then
> deinstalled LS and reinstalled LS without any error.
> The TS and LS are on one machine this machine is no DC.
>

> When I open LS I see a tree with All servers - Servername -
> Existing windows 2000 License
> When I click on the servername I see the existing licenses type
> built-in but none is issued. Total =unlimited
> Available=unlimited Issued=0.
>
> All TS clients can connect normal, no problems there.
>
> Mike
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
> schreef in bericht
>> No, that's not normal. You should see a line about "Existing
>> Windows 2000 Server - TS CAL Token (Per Device)", with Type:
>> Built-in, Available: Unlimited and Issued: the number of W2K
>> Pro and XP Pro clients that have connected at least twice.
>>
>> What error message did you get when you tried to install the
>> LS? Is there anything in the EventLog on the TS or the LS? Are
>> they running on the same server? Is the LS running on your
>> Domain Controller? Can the TS locate the LS?
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>
>> "Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 20 apr 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>>
>>> When I opened the TS Licensing Server on my W2K server and
>>> tried to see the properties I got an error message. I
>>> deinstalled the Licensing Server and reinstalled it, activated
>>> it. I now only connect with W2K pro and XP pro machines.
>>> When I open the Licensing Server to see which CALs are issued,
>>> there are none. No permanent and no temporary. Is this normal?
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>>> schreef in bericht

Mike

Splendid

The server is a member server in a W2k domain.
There are no errors in the eventlog.
Before I reinstalled the LS it issued licenses, temporary and permanent. I
know this because I had a problem with a WinXP Home TS client from which the
temporary license had expired. I Updated it to XP pro but still it couldn't
connect to the TS because of a License problem. When I opened the LS I saw
the issued licenses and also the XP home temp license, but I couldn't see
the properties.
I then deinstalled the LS and reinstalled it. I do not see any licenses
issued but all the clients can connect normally without any error message.

>A W2K Licensing Server on a non-DC? That must mean that the server
> is either a member of a NT4 domain, or a stand-alone server in a
> workgroup. In a W2K or 2003 domain, the LS cannot run on a member
> server.
> Can you confirm this?
>
> Have you checked the EventLog on the server? It sounds to me as if
> the TS cannot locate the LS (which is possible, even when they run
> on the same machine). If that is the problem, hardcode the address
> in the registry:
>
> 239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
> License Server
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107
>
> --
> Vera Noest
> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>
> "Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 21 apr 2005:
>
>> I didn't get an error when installing LS, I got an error when I
>> tried to look at the properties of the running LS. I then
>> deinstalled LS and reinstalled LS without any error.
>> The TS and LS are on one machine this machine is no DC.
>>

>> When I open LS I see a tree with All servers - Servername -
>> Existing windows 2000 License
>> When I click on the servername I see the existing licenses type
>> built-in but none is issued. Total =unlimited
>> Available=unlimited Issued=0.
>>
>> All TS clients can connect normal, no problems there.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>> schreef in bericht
>>> No, that's not normal. You should see a line about "Existing
>>> Windows 2000 Server - TS CAL Token (Per Device)", with Type:
>>> Built-in, Available: Unlimited and Issued: the number of W2K
>>> Pro and XP Pro clients that have connected at least twice.
>>>
>>> What error message did you get when you tried to install the
>>> LS? Is there anything in the EventLog on the TS or the LS? Are
>>> they running on the same server? Is the LS running on your
>>> Domain Controller? Can the TS locate the LS?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Vera Noest
>>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>>> --- please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ---
>>>
>>> "Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 20 apr 2005 in
>>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

This is weird, Mike, because a W2K LS can *not* run on a member
server in a W2K domain (unless you use the undocumented "nodc"
switch to run the licensing service on a non-DC, which is for
testing purposes only and *not* recommended in a production
environment).

This behaviour is documented here:
277917 - Terminal Server Licensing Service Failure
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=277917

Since something is *not* standard in your setup, I can't say if you
still have a problem or not. The fact that the LS doesn't issue any
licenses can simply mean that all the clients already hold a valid
license. If that's the case, you will see the first licenses being
issued when the old ones expire (after 52-89 days).

--

"Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 25 apr 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

> The server is a member server in a W2k domain.
> There are no errors in the eventlog.
> Before I reinstalled the LS it issued licenses, temporary and
> permanent. I know this because I had a problem with a WinXP Home
> TS client from which the temporary license had expired. I
> Updated it to XP pro but still it couldn't connect to the TS
> because of a License problem. When I opened the LS I saw the
> issued licenses and also the XP home temp license, but I
> couldn't see the properties.
> I then deinstalled the LS and reinstalled it. I do not see any
> licenses issued but all the clients can connect normally without
> any error message.
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <Vera.Noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
> schreef in bericht
>>A W2K Licensing Server on a non-DC? That must mean that the
>>server
>> is either a member of a NT4 domain, or a stand-alone server in
>> a workgroup. In a W2K or 2003 domain, the LS cannot run on a
>> member server.
>> Can you confirm this?
>>
>> Have you checked the EventLog on the server? It sounds to me as
>> if the TS cannot locate the LS (which is possible, even when
>> they run on the same machine). If that is the problem, hardcode
>> the address in the registry:
>>
>> 239107 - Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services
>> License Server
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239107
>>
>> --
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> *----------- Please reply in newsgroup -------------*
>>
>> "Mike" <askme@hotmail.com> wrote on 21 apr 2005:
>>
>>> I didn't get an error when installing LS, I got an error when
>>> I tried to look at the properties of the running LS. I then
>>> deinstalled LS and reinstalled LS without any error.
>>> The TS and LS are on one machine this machine is no DC.
>>>

>>> When I open LS I see a tree with All servers - Servername -
>>> Existing windows 2000 License
>>> When I click on the servername I see the existing licenses
>>> type built-in but none is issued. Total =unlimited
>>> Available=unlimited Issued=0.
>>>
>>> All TS clients can connect normal, no problems there.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se>
>>> schreef in bericht

Mike

Splendid

I was wrong, the TS is a DC.
I will keep monitoring the LS to see when it issues a license
thnx so far.