Uncle Dudley

Hi All,

Somehow, I can't bring myself to use the term Uncle Dudley, even though
I know it's intended as an endearing term.

We all know a little about Dudley, and I respect so much what the man
has confronted, and conquered, and achieved, so far, on the personal,
professional, aviation, PC, and FlightSim fronts, that I'm probably speaking
out of turn here by even suggesting that he might prefer not to have the
connotations of "Uncle" in this n/g, particularly as he could probably still
fly octagons around many of us here.

He sure does emanate that "Uncle" feeling though - rock solid,
knowledgable, articulate, curteous, always caring and willing to share and
learn.......

I wish there were more like him.

We're a very lucky n/g here!

Regards,
John Ward

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

John Ward wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Somehow, I can't bring myself to use the term Uncle Dudley, even though
> I know it's intended as an endearing term.
>
> We all know a little about Dudley, and I respect so much what the man
> has confronted, and conquered, and achieved, so far, on the personal,
> professional, aviation, PC, and FlightSim fronts, that I'm probably speaking
> out of turn here by even suggesting that he might prefer not to have the
> connotations of "Uncle" in this n/g, particularly as he could probably still
> fly octagons around many of us here.
>
> He sure does emanate that "Uncle" feeling though - rock solid,
> knowledgable, articulate, curteous, always caring and willing to share and
> learn.......
>
> I wish there were more like him.
>
> We're a very lucky n/g here!
>
> Regards,
> John Ward

WOW!!!! Since I'm the only one calling him "Uncle" Dudley (endearing
for sure) and I can't remember the last time I wrote that I am wondering
what prodded you into sending this message. I'm not mad, just wondering.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

dallas

"John Ward"
> Somehow, I can't bring myself to use the term Uncle Dudley, even though
> I know it's intended as an endearing term.

Oh... but some how you have no trouble calling me "Varmit"... thanks. :-(

:)

Dallas

Thank yov JW. Those were some very nice things yov said. I appreciate it a
lot.
I think I feel abovt this specific newsgrovp the way most of vs feel abovt
it.
Usenet being what it is, this grovp, and most of the people who post here
are vniqve. Posting here is like sitting down with a grovp of personal
friends and relaxing over a beer and a bvrger; talking abovt things that
friends share with each other.
It's more than the simvlator really. After a while yov actvally find
yovrself looking forward to finding ovt what everybody is vp to and what's
going on with them.
As for "call signs";
We have a saying in the fighter commvnity. When yov get a call sign nailed
on yov by yovr friends, it's never a bad thing. In fact, when we assign
someone a call sign, it's always a sign of respect and assvmed as coming
from a friend. I remember one one poor gvy in the F14 commvnity. His wife
made the best corn mvffins we ever tasted. To this day when I meet him at
revnions, he's called "Mvffin". Of covrse, he's a fvll Captain and one of
the best fighter pilots ever to fly the Tomcat, bvt to vs, he's "the mvffin
man" :))
I'll take an "Uncle Dvdley" any day from yov and the rest of my friends
arovnd here. :)
Now if YOU were in the fighter commvnity with a name like Ward, yov better
believe that for the rest of yovr life yovr call sign wovld be
"Psycho" :))))))
Hey!!!!! What are friends for?????
Dvdley

boB wrote:

> WOW!!!! Since I'm the only one calling him "Uncle" Dudley (endearing
> for sure) and I can't remember the last time I wrote that I am wondering
> what prodded you into sending this message. I'm not mad, just wondering.

I think JayDub is getting a little sentimental at his old age. ;-)
At least mental. <g>

But I think I know what he's saying though. And in all fairness we have a
trio of Uncle-types here: you, Oskar and Dudley. IMHO anyway.

I wish I could include Crash, but he's still got an immature streak about him. :)

Hang on...."Uncle Downloader?"....does that work at all?

Marcel

dallas

"Lawn Dart"
> Eek! I'm guilty of having done this once myself! I sure hope Dudley
> wasn't offended.

I guess we'll have to fall back to calling him "Sparrow" now... :)

Dallas

dallas

"Lawn Dart
> Oh no! That upside down smiley has me worried now! Does "Varmit"
> really offend you?

You can call me "Ray".... you can call me "Jay"....

Varmit

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Zoepetier wrote:
> boB wrote:
>

>>WOW!!!! Since I'm the only one calling him "Uncle" Dudley (endearing
>>for sure) and I can't remember the last time I wrote that I am wondering
>>what prodded you into sending this message. I'm not mad, just wondering.
>

> I think JayDub is getting a little sentimental at his old age. ;-)
> At least mental. <g>
>

> But I think I know what he's saying though. And in all fairness we have a
> trio of Uncle-types here: you, Oskar and Dudley. IMHO anyway.
>
> I wish I could include Crash, but he's still got an immature streak about him. :)
>

> Hang on...."Uncle Downloader?"....does that work at all?
>
> Marcel

AAkkk!!!! Doesn't sound right. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

crash

Zoepetier wrote:
> I wish I could include Crash, but he's still got an immature streak
> about him. :)

OK Studmuffin - after that crack, I'm going outside and eat worms!!!
d|-p))

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 05:57:29 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
<dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:

>I'll take an "Uncle Dudley" any day from you and the rest of my friends
>around here. :)
>Now if YOU were in the fighter community with a name like Ward, you better
>believe that for the rest of your life your call sign would be
>"Psycho" :))))))
>Hey!!!!! What are friends for?????

I studied both ancient Greek and Latin at school (very badly, I must
say) and I ceased "learing" thse two subjects as soon as I was able.
The classics' master was a Dudley somethingorother. Dudley was a
rather precise, avunclular character who went out of his way to help
others.

The final part, at the very least, would certainly sum you up, Dudley.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with precision, especially in the world of
aviation. As for politeness and helping others ... well, they never
hurt anyone.

Cheers
James

"James Hodson" <jUNDERSCOREhodson@ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 05:57:29 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
> <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:
>
>>I'll take an "Uncle Dudley" any day from you and the rest of my friends
>>around here. :)
>>Now if YOU were in the fighter community with a name like Ward, you better
>>believe that for the rest of your life your call sign would be
>>"Psycho" :))))))
>>Hey!!!!! What are friends for?????
>
> I studied both ancient Greek and Latin at school (very badly, I must
> say) and I ceased "learing" thse two subjects as soon as I was able.
> The classics' master was a Dudley somethingorother. Dudley was a
> rather precise, avunclular character who went out of his way to help
> others.
>
> The final part, at the very least, would certainly sum you up, Dudley.
>
> IMO, there is nothing wrong with precision, especially in the world of
> aviation. As for politeness and helping others ... well, they never
> hurt anyone.
>
> Cheers
> James

"sic transit gloria mundi"

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:38:46 GMT, boB wrote:

> Zoepetier wrote:
> Hang on...."Uncle Downloader?"....does that work at all?

>> boB wrote:
>> AAkkk!!!! Doesn't sound right. :)

Okay....what's with this "AAkkk" thing that's going around?
Isn't that from Charlie Brown?

--

Marcel
(I've got a baaad feeling about this.....)

Studmuffin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:51:16 -0600, CRaSH wrote:

> Zoepetier wrote:
>> I wish I could include Crash, but he's still got an immature streak
>> about him. :)
>>

> OK Studmuffin - after that crack, I'm going outside and eat worms!!!
> d|-p))

Bon Apetite!

--

Marcel
(You've got clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?)

dallas

"boB"
> How do you like the flights Dalli???

Errr haven't flown today.. or yesterday... might get to fly this weekend...
in real life. :)

Dalli

dallas

"boB"
> How do you like the flights Dalli???

Oh, I see... you're talking about some .FSR flights...

20 years with flight sim and I've never recorded a flight. I wouldn't know
how to play it back.

But, I downloaded one of them and will see if I can figure it out.

Dalli

"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message news:c_U2e.9456$z.2450@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

<*SNIP*>
> "sic transit gloria mundi"

Reminds me of George Harrison's "All things must pass." album. A bit simpler than 'worldly', but the same idea
nonetheless.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:49:28 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
<dhenriques@noware .net> wrote:

>"sic transit gloria mundi"

Plus ca change,
Plus c'est la meme chose,