*solved*Boot problems - help appreciated

rookie84

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Hi all,

I'm having problems booting my computer at the moment, not too sure what's causing it but am thinking it's the motherboard. Had a look at it and there doesn't seem to be any visible signs of damage or bugs getting toasted on it. Have also checked out the motherboard FAQ that's posted and that doesn't help either.

My current setup consists of
LeadtekWinFast K7NCR18D-PRO
AMD 2500+ barton core
GeCube Radeon 9600XT 256MB
Creative Audigy 2zs
1.5GB RAM
80GB Samsung HDD (master)
160GB Western Digital HDD (slave)
Razer Copperhead mouse
WinXP pro

The problem is that every time I try to boot my computer one of either 2 things happens (and I have been rebooting for a good half day now to no avail).

1. Screen gets no signal from computer (all connections are secure) and mouse doesn't even light up (ie. Not getting power from USB port), BUT the lights on my graphics card is going fine (the heatsink on it came with leds) and all my system fans are going, harddisk is vibrating indicating it's got some juice going into it, and my 'busy' led on the front of the case is glowing.

2. Screen and mouse go, everything seems to go fine until you get to the bit that¹s right after the bios mem check (right after it says verifying dmi pool something rather) and then the monitor stops receiving a signal and the mouse gets no power too. But the fans, leds and all that are going as per above.

Before this, about a week ago, I had a similar failure but it just worked after a number of attempts at rebooting, (so I've never shut down my computer after that, but then again I hardly do to begin with) but now nothing. One of the more 'successful' attempts at rebooting that I had got all the way to the login screen, but then the monitor and mouse just went off in the middle of logging in. At this stage the login tune was also abruptly stopped, so that probably means it's not just my graphics card. What's weird about it is that all the fans are going, hard drives seem to be vibrating and the leds on my gpu heatsink are still lighting up...

Have also at one stage managed to get into my bios, but then it just stopped as per above (fans and all that going, busy led on, but no signal to monitor, no power to mouse etc), and at other times I can tweak around in the bios till my heart's content.

The only new hardware I have installed is the Razer Copperhead mouse and it's got the latest firmware and drivers. Other than that, just the regular windows updates. Have tried resetting the BIOS settings as well but that doesn't seem to help.

Have also taken everything apart and left only the necessary components in and tried to boot that way but same thing, have also tried booting with the mouse unplugged just incase it was that (but have been using it for 2-3weeks fine now).

Would really like a resolution to this, as at the moment I lack funds to replace the motherboard (am saving up for a upgrade to socket 939+pci-e and I have nowhere near that amount of cash yet)

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

linux_0

Splendid
Try removing all your memory sticks except one and see if it boots. If that doesn't work try each of the sticks one at a time.

Is the CPU fan spinning?

Does the CPU heatsink feel hot right away?

Your PSU or motherboard might be bad...

rookie84

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have helped. The cpu fan is definately running, along with the other system fans, the cpu is reported to be 38C in the bios, have touched it to confirm it.
Also it doesn't seem to be any of the ram sticks :( I'm hoping I really don't have to replace anything. Thanks again

linux_0

Splendid
I would suggest downloading memtest86

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

which is only about 3MB, burning it onto a CD-R and booting from it.

Memtest will thoroughly test your RAM. If your RAM, motherboard or CPU are not working properly you will likely see errors. It's worth a shot.

Please remove all components from the machine temporarily and try to boot with another graphics card if possible.

Your VGA card or motherboard maybe defective or acting up. It might also be your power supply.

Good luck :)

rookie84

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
I have used memtest before in the past and there were no errors. Can't say much about it at the moment tho as now I cant even get it to the first screen where you can get into the bios :(

I think whatever the problem was, it is now beyond repair :( have tried booting it many times but have not even gotten power to mouse or signal to screen (which is needed to get into memtest, as my current boot sequence is just hdd-0 to shave off boot times). Have also tried resetting the bios? the one where you have to put a jumper on the motherboard to clear and reset the bios AFAIK but no luck there either...

Thanks for the help though, looks like I will really have to replace some parts.

butitoy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
let's try some simple tricks.

boot ur pc.
press f8
uninstall ur graphics driver.
restart ur pc
download latest driver
install.

if doesn't do it. try:

boot from ur xp cd
when in the sequence : loking for previous xp installation, press r ( repair )

if not.

reformat ur drive c:

let's try. maybe that will save u some $$$$

and i think. somebody post here about the same mouse ur using. kinda look for that post.

rookie84

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Just wanted to follow up.

Is everything in fact resolved?

What was the problem?

:)

Hi, it can be called 'resolved' in a way... I need to replace the mobo. The harddisk works on another computer, so does the vid card. I can't even get into the bios now, so I can't press f8 and use safe mode either as it doesn't even let me get that far.

The power goes, lights and fans switch on (including cpu hsf) but no signal to screen, no normal boot up sounds from drives getting power, and no power to usb2 devices :(