Terminal Server 2003 issue

One of the admins I know passed this problem to me, and I'm having trouble
trying to track down just what's causing the issue, thought I'd ask in here
for some thoughts.

Windows 2003 SP0 terminal server (member server) in a 2003 domain.

This happens even to administrators who have full access.

You can right click to create a file for example, but once it's created, if
you try to right click it, you freeze the explorer process and have to stop
it. Which means the entire windows session "resets" itself as happens when
explorer.exe has to restart.

This happens to everyone as I said, including administrators. At first I
thought it might be tied into a "My Documents" folder redirection policy they
have, since that's where they first noted the problem, but it's beyond that,
because even as the administrator, when I simply map a drive to one of the
other server's c$ share, and open explorer, I can once again right click,
NEW, create a file, modify it, save it, close it, and once I right click it,
the whole session freezes until I end task on explorer.exe

I can right click folders all day long, but any files, anywhere, be it on the
local machine, the redirected My Documents folder, mapped drives, whatever,
CANNOT be right clicked.

Sometimes this is a real problem, because if they're in their explorer window
when it happens, at least they can end that task and move on after the whole
session restarts the explorer.exe shell.

But when it's on their desktop, they can't, so their only option is to exit
the remote desktop, get back in, and it's of course still hung, so the
administrator has to get in to kill their session...

I can RDP into the other non-terminal machines and things work fine,
including the same files. This only happens in the terminal server sessions
on the terminal server itself.

I've been going through my archives in the server groups, as well as
googling, and haven't found anything so far, so thought I'd post this in the
middle so hopefully I get one more thing to look into later.

*ANY* suggestions greatly appreciated!

--
John D [MVP]
2 answers Last reply

    John,

    Does Explorer really hang, or is it taking a *very* long time to show
    the shortcut menu? Have you let it sit there for several hours?

    Have you seen these KB articles:

    819101 - Temporary Decline in Performance Occurs When You Right-Click
    a File or Folder in Windows Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819101

    819946 - A Program Stops Performing a Task or Explorer.exe Uses 100
    Percent of the CPU When You Right-Click an Item in Windows Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819946

    I assume that there is nothing in the EventLog? Are you running any
    antivirus software on the server?

    Are there any restrictive GPO settings enforced? I'm thinking of the
    settings in
    User configuration - Administrative templates - Windows Components -
    Windows Explorer

    --
    Vera Noest
    MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

    "JDThree [MVP]" <john@removeforspam.lakesidenetworks.com> wrote on
    26 apr 2005:

    > One of the admins I know passed this problem to me, and I'm
    > having trouble trying to track down just what's causing the
    > issue, thought I'd ask in here for some thoughts.
    >
    > Windows 2003 SP0 terminal server (member server) in a 2003
    > domain.
    >
    > This happens even to administrators who have full access.
    >
    > You can right click to create a file for example, but once it's
    > created, if you try to right click it, you freeze the explorer
    > process and have to stop it. Which means the entire windows
    > session "resets" itself as happens when explorer.exe has to
    > restart.
    >
    > This happens to everyone as I said, including administrators. At
    > first I thought it might be tied into a "My Documents" folder
    > redirection policy they have, since that's where they first
    > noted the problem, but it's beyond that, because even as the
    > administrator, when I simply map a drive to one of the other
    > server's c$ share, and open explorer, I can once again right
    > click, NEW, create a file, modify it, save it, close it, and
    > once I right click it, the whole session freezes until I end
    > task on explorer.exe
    >
    > I can right click folders all day long, but any files, anywhere,
    > be it on the local machine, the redirected My Documents folder,
    > mapped drives, whatever, CANNOT be right clicked.
    >
    > Sometimes this is a real problem, because if they're in their
    > explorer window when it happens, at least they can end that task
    > and move on after the whole session restarts the explorer.exe
    > shell.
    >
    > But when it's on their desktop, they can't, so their only option
    > is to exit the remote desktop, get back in, and it's of course
    > still hung, so the administrator has to get in to kill their
    > session...
    >
    > I can RDP into the other non-terminal machines and things work
    > fine, including the same files. This only happens in the
    > terminal server sessions on the terminal server itself.
    >
    > I've been going through my archives in the server groups, as
    > well as googling, and haven't found anything so far, so thought
    > I'd post this in the middle so hopefully I get one more thing to
    > look into later.
    >
    > *ANY* suggestions greatly appreciated!
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    On 4/27/2005 5:04:59 AM, "Vera Noest [MVP]" wrote:
    >John,
    >
    >Does Explorer really hang, or is it taking a *very* long time to show
    >the shortcut menu? Have you let it sit there for several hours?
    >
    >Have you seen these KB articles:
    >
    >819101 - Temporary Decline in Performance Occurs When You Right-Click
    >a File or Folder in Windows Explorer
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819101
    >
    >819946 - A Program Stops Performing a Task or Explorer.exe Uses 100
    >Percent of the CPU When You Right-Click an Item in Windows Explorer
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819946
    >
    >I assume that there is nothing in the EventLog? Are you running any
    >antivirus software on the server?
    >
    >Are there any restrictive GPO settings enforced? I'm thinking of the
    >settings in
    >User configuration - Administrative templates - Windows Components -
    >Windows Explorer
    >

    > --
    >Vera Noest
    >MCSE,CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    >http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

    It doesn't seem to be tied in to right clicking directly, since it happens
    even when you just left-click select a file you just created, and hit the
    delete key on the keyboard. Seems anything other than just opening the file
    causes problems.

    I didn't find anything obvious in the GPO, and didn't expect to since last
    night I tried creating a local user account on the server directly, not a
    domain account, so the domain policies wouldn't apply.

    Even with a local user in the admin group I get the same behavior.

    But a couple domain accounts *don't* have the problem. That's why I'm getting
    irritated with it. had it been only the redirected my documents that caused a
    problem, would be easier to solve. If it was only local acocunts, would be
    easier to track. if it was only domain accounts it would be easier to track.
    But it's so sporadic...

    I'm guessing there's a local policy in place that in some of the domain GPO's
    a setting is left at the default, and so in the local policy, that default
    setting is effective, and people see the problem. That would be why I see it
    with local accounts. And that the domain accounts that *don't* have the
    problem, there's a setting that *is* used, and thus overrides the one
    locally. At least that's my guess at this point, and how I'm digging into it.

    For most of the terminal server users, right click is diabled anyway, so the
    desktop properties aren't coming into play - for them it's just the inability
    to delete a file without explorer.exe hanging. Maybe it's just the fact that
    the right click option has the delete option in the context menu or something
    that makes it hang on right clicks as well, when right clicks work fine for
    folders. It's only file objects, nothing else, that cause the problem.
    Folders, desktops, right click doesn't cause any problems. Just on a file...

    That server was never set up well in the first place, and the admin has done
    some pretty odd things without thinking to it, and it's close to needing to
    be rebuilt anyway - maybe this will just be the final justification to
    actually build it correctly.

    Thanks for the help!

    --
    John D [MVP]

Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server Windows