Restricting driver installation in Terminal Services.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 11, 2005 2:57:17 PM

I´m trying to restrict my terminal sevices user´s to use only the drivers
installed on the server and avoiding them from installing any local drivers
the maigh have on their pcs. I´d like the server to pop up an error
reporting any uninstalled drivers to the user, but, would like them to
report that error to the IT dept. instead of proceeding themselves.

Thanks.

Guillermo
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 11, 2005 10:52:02 PM

Am I to assume you're referring to printer drivers? If yes, simply enable
the following policy setting:

Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local
Policies -> Security Options -> Devices: Prevent users from installing
printer drivers.

Users should NEVER be able to install anything on a terminal server, unless
you want an unstable machine.

--
Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Guillermo" wrote:

> I´m trying to restrict my terminal sevices user´s to use only the drivers
> installed on the server and avoiding them from installing any local drivers
> the maigh have on their pcs. I´d like the server to pop up an error
> reporting any uninstalled drivers to the user, but, would like them to
> report that error to the IT dept. instead of proceeding themselves.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Guillermo

May 12, 2005 4:49:12 PM

Your asumption is correct, I´m refering to printer drivers. But, I have
already enabled that setting, and it doesn´t seem to be working at all. I´m
using Terminal Services on Windows 2003 with all the latest service packs
applied, the only thing that makes me doubt is that I´m not using Active
Directory, instaed, I have an NT Domain. Can this cause this option not to
make any effect?

Thanks for your help

Guillermo

"Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
mensaje news:0B813C96-60B3-4F09-9A01-8656950B633A@microsoft.com...
> Am I to assume you're referring to printer drivers? If yes, simply enable
> the following policy setting:
>
> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local
> Policies -> Security Options -> Devices: Prevent users from installing
> printer drivers.
>
> Users should NEVER be able to install anything on a terminal server,
> unless
> you want an unstable machine.
>
> --
> Patrick Rouse
> Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://www.workthin.com
>

> "Guillermo" wrote:
>
>> I´m trying to restrict my terminal sevices user´s to use only the drivers
>> installed on the server and avoiding them from installing any local
>> drivers
>> the maigh have on their pcs. I´d like the server to pop up an error
>> reporting any uninstalled drivers to the user, but, would like them to
>> report that error to the IT dept. instead of proceeding themselves.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Guillermo

a b \ Driver
May 12, 2005 4:49:13 PM

What this setting is supposed to do is to prevent the automatic update of
printer drivers from client to server, i.e. if the client has a newer
"certified" HP LaserJet 4300N driver than the one on the server, the client
would automatically update the server. This is not recommended on TS (or in
any environment in my opinion), so this setting disables this feature.

It does NOT prevent the auto-creation of printers listed in the ntprint.inf.

If this does not help, can you be more specific as to what is happening.

More printing info here:
http://www.workthin.com/tsp.htm
http://www.printingsupport.com

--

"Guillermo" wrote:

> Your asumption is correct, I´m refering to printer drivers. But, I have
> already enabled that setting, and it doesn´t seem to be working at all. I´m
> using Terminal Services on Windows 2003 with all the latest service packs
> applied, the only thing that makes me doubt is that I´m not using Active
> Directory, instaed, I have an NT Domain. Can this cause this option not to
> make any effect?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Guillermo
>

> "Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
> mensaje news:0B813C96-60B3-4F09-9A01-8656950B633A@microsoft.com...
> > Am I to assume you're referring to printer drivers? If yes, simply enable
> > the following policy setting:
> >
> > Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local
> > Policies -> Security Options -> Devices: Prevent users from installing
> > printer drivers.
> >
> > Users should NEVER be able to install anything on a terminal server,
> > unless
> > you want an unstable machine.
> >
> > --
> > Patrick Rouse
> > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> > http://www.workthin.com
> >

> > "Guillermo" wrote:
> >
> >> I´m trying to restrict my terminal sevices user´s to use only the drivers
> >> installed on the server and avoiding them from installing any local
> >> drivers
> >> the maigh have on their pcs. I´d like the server to pop up an error
> >> reporting any uninstalled drivers to the user, but, would like them to
> >> report that error to the IT dept. instead of proceeding themselves.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Guillermo

May 12, 2005 7:54:51 PM

OK, so this option is usefull, but it does not solve my problem. I´ll give
you more details to see if you can figure it out.

The scenario is the folowing, Let´s suppose I have a desktop pc which has a
local HP Deskjet Printer. What I want to avoid is Terminal Server from
installing this printer when the user logs in. If the driver for this
printer already exists on the server I´d like TS to map the printer using
this driver, if it does not, I´d like TS not to install the printer and ask
the user to call IT requesting this installation or smth simillar to this.
Thank you very much for your help and time

Greetings

mensaje news:BD634CA6-7EA7-4D6C-8F9A-4D9CE5CA53C8@microsoft.com...
> What this setting is supposed to do is to prevent the automatic update of
> printer drivers from client to server, i.e. if the client has a newer
> "certified" HP LaserJet 4300N driver than the one on the server, the
> client
> would automatically update the server. This is not recommended on TS (or
> in
> any environment in my opinion), so this setting disables this feature.
>
> It does NOT prevent the auto-creation of printers listed in the
> ntprint.inf.
>
> If this does not help, can you be more specific as to what is happening.
>
> More printing info here:
> http://www.workthin.com/tsp.htm
> http://www.printingsupport.com
>
> --
> Patrick Rouse
> Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://www.workthin.com
>

> "Guillermo" wrote:
>
>> Your asumption is correct, I´m refering to printer drivers. But, I have
>> already enabled that setting, and it doesn´t seem to be working at all.
>> I´m
>> using Terminal Services on Windows 2003 with all the latest service packs
>> applied, the only thing that makes me doubt is that I´m not using Active
>> Directory, instaed, I have an NT Domain. Can this cause this option not
>> make any effect?
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>>
>> Guillermo
>>

>> "Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
>> mensaje news:0B813C96-60B3-4F09-9A01-8656950B633A@microsoft.com...
>> > Am I to assume you're referring to printer drivers? If yes, simply
>> > enable
>> > the following policy setting:
>> >
>> > Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings ->
>> > Local
>> > Policies -> Security Options -> Devices: Prevent users from installing
>> > printer drivers.
>> >
>> > Users should NEVER be able to install anything on a terminal server,
>> > unless
>> > you want an unstable machine.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Patrick Rouse
>> > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> > http://www.workthin.com

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 12, 2005 7:54:52 PM

You'd be better off getting a 3rd party printing program like ThinPrint or
triCerat Screwdrivers.

My reasoning for this statement is that the users does NOT get any
notification when a printer does NOT autocreate. What does happen is that a
message 1111 is writen to the event log, stating what driver was not
available on the server to autocreate the client's printer. So unless you
want to script a notification to the user or the admin when this happens....

Windows Server 2003 SP1 does offer a fall-back driver, that will attempt to
map the unsupported printer to a built-in PCL or PS driver, however this will
NOT work on host-based printers and only offers basic printing functionality
(when it works successfully)

EMF Based printing solutions like mentioned above, and that exist in Citrix
Presentation Server 4.0 provide a much more robust printing environment.

How many users do you support? How many Terminal Servers?
--

!