Restricting driver installation in Terminal Services.

I´m trying to restrict my terminal sevices user´s to use only the drivers
installed on the server and avoiding them from installing any local drivers
the maigh have on their pcs. I´d like the server to pop up an error
reporting any uninstalled drivers to the user, but, would like them to
report that error to the IT dept. instead of proceeding themselves.

Thanks.

Guillermo
5 answers Last reply
More about restricting driver installation terminal services
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Am I to assume you're referring to printer drivers? If yes, simply enable
    the following policy setting:

    Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local
    Policies -> Security Options -> Devices: Prevent users from installing
    printer drivers.

    Users should NEVER be able to install anything on a terminal server, unless
    you want an unstable machine.

    --
    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

    "Guillermo" wrote:

    > I´m trying to restrict my terminal sevices user´s to use only the drivers
    > installed on the server and avoiding them from installing any local drivers
    > the maigh have on their pcs. I´d like the server to pop up an error
    > reporting any uninstalled drivers to the user, but, would like them to
    > report that error to the IT dept. instead of proceeding themselves.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Guillermo

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    Your asumption is correct, I´m refering to printer drivers. But, I have
    already enabled that setting, and it doesn´t seem to be working at all. I´m
    using Terminal Services on Windows 2003 with all the latest service packs
    applied, the only thing that makes me doubt is that I´m not using Active
    Directory, instaed, I have an NT Domain. Can this cause this option not to
    make any effect?

    Thanks for your help

    Guillermo

    "Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
    mensaje news:0B813C96-60B3-4F09-9A01-8656950B633A@microsoft.com...
    > Am I to assume you're referring to printer drivers? If yes, simply enable
    > the following policy setting:
    >
    > Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local
    > Policies -> Security Options -> Devices: Prevent users from installing
    > printer drivers.
    >
    > Users should NEVER be able to install anything on a terminal server,
    > unless
    > you want an unstable machine.
    >
    > --
    > Patrick Rouse
    > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    > http://www.workthin.com
    >

    > "Guillermo" wrote:
    >
    >> I´m trying to restrict my terminal sevices user´s to use only the drivers
    >> installed on the server and avoiding them from installing any local
    >> drivers
    >> the maigh have on their pcs. I´d like the server to pop up an error
    >> reporting any uninstalled drivers to the user, but, would like them to
    >> report that error to the IT dept. instead of proceeding themselves.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Guillermo

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    What this setting is supposed to do is to prevent the automatic update of
    printer drivers from client to server, i.e. if the client has a newer
    "certified" HP LaserJet 4300N driver than the one on the server, the client
    would automatically update the server. This is not recommended on TS (or in
    any environment in my opinion), so this setting disables this feature.

    It does NOT prevent the auto-creation of printers listed in the ntprint.inf.

    If this does not help, can you be more specific as to what is happening.

    More printing info here:
    http://www.workthin.com/tsp.htm
    http://www.printingsupport.com

    --

    "Guillermo" wrote:

    > Your asumption is correct, I´m refering to printer drivers. But, I have
    > already enabled that setting, and it doesn´t seem to be working at all. I´m
    > using Terminal Services on Windows 2003 with all the latest service packs
    > applied, the only thing that makes me doubt is that I´m not using Active
    > Directory, instaed, I have an NT Domain. Can this cause this option not to
    > make any effect?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Guillermo
    >

    > "Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
    > mensaje news:0B813C96-60B3-4F09-9A01-8656950B633A@microsoft.com...
    > > Am I to assume you're referring to printer drivers? If yes, simply enable
    > > the following policy setting:
    > >
    > > Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local
    > > Policies -> Security Options -> Devices: Prevent users from installing
    > > printer drivers.
    > >
    > > Users should NEVER be able to install anything on a terminal server,
    > > unless
    > > you want an unstable machine.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Patrick Rouse
    > > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    > > http://www.workthin.com
    > >

    > > "Guillermo" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I´m trying to restrict my terminal sevices user´s to use only the drivers
    > >> installed on the server and avoiding them from installing any local
    > >> drivers
    > >> the maigh have on their pcs. I´d like the server to pop up an error
    > >> reporting any uninstalled drivers to the user, but, would like them to
    > >> report that error to the IT dept. instead of proceeding themselves.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >>
    > >> Guillermo

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    OK, so this option is usefull, but it does not solve my problem. I´ll give
    you more details to see if you can figure it out.

    The scenario is the folowing, Let´s suppose I have a desktop pc which has a
    local HP Deskjet Printer. What I want to avoid is Terminal Server from
    installing this printer when the user logs in. If the driver for this
    printer already exists on the server I´d like TS to map the printer using
    this driver, if it does not, I´d like TS not to install the printer and ask
    the user to call IT requesting this installation or smth simillar to this.
    Thank you very much for your help and time

    Greetings

    mensaje news:BD634CA6-7EA7-4D6C-8F9A-4D9CE5CA53C8@microsoft.com...
    > What this setting is supposed to do is to prevent the automatic update of
    > printer drivers from client to server, i.e. if the client has a newer
    > "certified" HP LaserJet 4300N driver than the one on the server, the
    > client
    > would automatically update the server. This is not recommended on TS (or
    > in
    > any environment in my opinion), so this setting disables this feature.
    >
    > It does NOT prevent the auto-creation of printers listed in the
    > ntprint.inf.
    >
    > If this does not help, can you be more specific as to what is happening.
    >
    > More printing info here:
    > http://www.workthin.com/tsp.htm
    > http://www.printingsupport.com
    >
    > --
    > Patrick Rouse
    > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    > http://www.workthin.com
    >

    > "Guillermo" wrote:
    >
    >> Your asumption is correct, I´m refering to printer drivers. But, I have
    >> already enabled that setting, and it doesn´t seem to be working at all.
    >> I´m
    >> using Terminal Services on Windows 2003 with all the latest service packs
    >> applied, the only thing that makes me doubt is that I´m not using Active
    >> Directory, instaed, I have an NT Domain. Can this cause this option not
    >> make any effect?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >>
    >> Guillermo
    >>

    >> "Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
    >> mensaje news:0B813C96-60B3-4F09-9A01-8656950B633A@microsoft.com...
    >> > Am I to assume you're referring to printer drivers? If yes, simply
    >> > enable
    >> > the following policy setting:
    >> >
    >> > Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings ->
    >> > Local
    >> > Policies -> Security Options -> Devices: Prevent users from installing
    >> > printer drivers.
    >> >
    >> > Users should NEVER be able to install anything on a terminal server,
    >> > unless
    >> > you want an unstable machine.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Patrick Rouse
    >> > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    >> > http://www.workthin.com

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client (More info?)

    You'd be better off getting a 3rd party printing program like ThinPrint or
    triCerat Screwdrivers.

    My reasoning for this statement is that the users does NOT get any
    notification when a printer does NOT autocreate. What does happen is that a
    message 1111 is writen to the event log, stating what driver was not
    available on the server to autocreate the client's printer. So unless you
    want to script a notification to the user or the admin when this happens....

    Windows Server 2003 SP1 does offer a fall-back driver, that will attempt to
    map the unsupported printer to a built-in PCL or PS driver, however this will
    NOT work on host-based printers and only offers basic printing functionality
    (when it works successfully)

    EMF Based printing solutions like mentioned above, and that exist in Citrix
    Presentation Server 4.0 provide a much more robust printing environment.

    How many users do you support? How many Terminal Servers?
    --

    "Guillermo" wrote:

    > OK, so this option is usefull, but it does not solve my problem. I´ll give
    > you more details to see if you can figure it out.
    >
    > The scenario is the folowing, Let´s suppose I have a desktop pc which has a
    > local HP Deskjet Printer. What I want to avoid is Terminal Server from
    > installing this printer when the user logs in. If the driver for this
    > printer already exists on the server I´d like TS to map the printer using
    > this driver, if it does not, I´d like TS not to install the printer and ask
    > the user to call IT requesting this installation or smth simillar to this.
    > Thank you very much for your help and time
    >
    > Greetings
    >
    > Guillermo
    >
    > "Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el
    > mensaje news:BD634CA6-7EA7-4D6C-8F9A-4D9CE5CA53C8@microsoft.com...
    > > What this setting is supposed to do is to prevent the automatic update of
    > > printer drivers from client to server, i.e. if the client has a newer
    > > "certified" HP LaserJet 4300N driver than the one on the server, the
    > > client
    > > would automatically update the server. This is not recommended on TS (or
    > > in
    > > any environment in my opinion), so this setting disables this feature.
    > >
    > > It does NOT prevent the auto-creation of printers listed in the
    > > ntprint.inf.
    > >
    > > If this does not help, can you be more specific as to what is happening.
    > >
    > > More printing info here:
    > > http://www.workthin.com/tsp.htm
    > > http://www.printingsupport.com
    > >
    > > --
    > > Patrick Rouse
    > > Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    > > http://www.workthin.com
    > >

    > > "Guillermo" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Your asumption is correct, I´m refering to printer drivers. But, I have
    > >> already enabled that setting, and it doesn´t seem to be working at all.
    > >> I´m
    > >> using Terminal Services on Windows 2003 with all the latest service packs
    > >> applied, the only thing that makes me doubt is that I´m not using Active
    > >> Directory, instaed, I have an NT Domain. Can this cause this option not
    > >> make any effect?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your help
    > >>
    > >> Guillermo
    > >>

    > >> "Patrick Rouse" <PatrickRouse@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el