CPU noob wants to upgrade but has conflicting tutorial info

aysdf

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
I have a Dell laptop (inspiron 4000) that I want to upgrade from PIII 900 to the highest socket 370 CPU I can identify, which is a PIII 1400.

I used Everest to ID my 900 CPU as a coppermine w/ 100mhz front side bus, but the (then-) server-grade PIII 1400s all have 133mhz front side bus. In fact, I think nearly all stable socket 370 PIIIs above 900mhz are 133mhz fsb.

Anyways, my question is: will the new processor, since the fsb speed is different, be

1) completely incompatible, since it's a dell laptop and I can't change many motherboard settings

or 2) become really really quick?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
First, I'm not sure that you can upgrade. Laptops are tricky.

Second, I've no idea if your laptop would support 133MHz FSB or not, but a Celeron should have a 100MHz FSB.

Third, I would suggest contacting Dell and see what they say and/or offer as an upgrade. You don't have to actually buy the upgrade from them, but it should at least give you an idea what you can and can't do.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Anyways, my question is: will the new processor, since the fsb speed is different, be

1) completely incompatible, since it's a dell laptop and I can't change many motherboard settings

or 2) become really really quick?
Well, assuming it did fit, and it's increased heat/power weren't a problem... If your Laptop doesn't support 133Mhz FSB you'll get a processor running at ~1050Mhz. Not much of an upgrade. The multiplier used to generate the final clockspeed is fixed - you can't change it, so rather than running at 133Mhzx10.5 = ~1400Mhz, you'd be running at 100Mhzx10.5 = 1050Mhz.

Even ignoring that, I doubt this upgrade would really help you that much. It might make the odd CPU-intensive task a little quicker of course, but you'll probably not really notice much difference anyway.

But, I suspect you'll not be able to change it easily anyway - Laptops just aren't built for upgrading like this.

aysdf

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005
Thanks guys, that was extremely helpful. The multiplier tutorial was really awesome, too.

I think I'll track down faster tualatin celerons, then, perhaps a 1200 to 1400. Will these upgrade options (from my P3-900, 100mhz fsb) at least smooth out my performance?

EDIT: Nevermind, I discovered the second limitation: so far I can't tell if the socket is FC-PGA or FC-PGA2, and the two are possibly incompatible.)