Replacing an FDD controller

G

Hi,

I've got a mobo with a dead FDD controller, which is kind of a pain :smile: .

However I still got an old Multi-I/O ISA card (and yes an ISA slot on the board). Can I use this if I disable the FDD controller in the (standard Award) BIOS? I've tried, but it doesn't seem to find the floppy...

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Pete

G

It would be better to replace the mummyboard. Using one of those old I/O controllers is a real bandaid solution. Your walking into an IRQ minefeild as I can pretty much bet that the I/O Card is not PnP. Motherboards are not that expensive these days, and would be the correct solution to your problem.

ps. Who uses a floppy drive these days anyhow?????

Never be afraid to try new things. Remember, amateurs built the Ark - professionals made the Titanic

G

The problem is that its a special purpose mobo that I can't replace that easily... So I really need a solution here.

Cheers,
Pete

Foolscap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2001
I'm in the same situation, I somehow fried my FDD controller on the mobo, and a friend game me an old ISA I/O card to try. I've even tried disabling the floppy in the BIOS, but it still won't read it. So I suppose I have to figure out the setting for that stupid I/O card, which won't be easy, since I dont know the brand, and If I did I doubt there would be any sort of documentation or support for it.

I suppose they are right, would be easier to shell out 120.00 for a new mobo.

<font color=blue>Reality lies in the parameters of knowledge.</font color=blue>

scarecrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you can't replace the motherboard you could always get a LS120 drive. It's not all that cheap of a solution but it is a IDE device and also reads standard floppies.

<A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com" target="_new">Join The Tom's Hardware SETI@Home Team</A>