My issues with Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhalton26

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Issue1:
I just loaded up Windows 7 Ultimate 64 after buying a new OEM 640GB Seagate 7200 Barrucuda SATA 3.0GB Drive along with 4 more Gigs of Corsairs XMS which brought my current system to 6GB of RAM total. Before I installed Win7 I used XP to partition the new drive into three sections: 100GB and two 250GB. I figure it would be best to keep Win7 on the 100GB and use the two 250s for data storage and programs usage. After all the drivers was updated and system was rebooted I ran the System Rate and my final score was 3.0 because of the Disk Transfer Rate. I know this is a beta OS and all, but this system run better than Vista with SP1. Any reason why my system is rated so low with these complete test results and current PC build?

AMD Athlon X2 64 6400+ 3.2GHz Dual Core 1024x2 FBS
ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 64Bit upgraded.
Corsairs XMS2 DDR2 800MHz 6GB RAM clocked @ 5-5-5-12
320GB Maxtor 7200 RPM 8-16 Cache SATA 3.0 Gb/s - Windows XP 32bit
640GB Seagate 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0 Gb/s - Windows 7 Beta 64bit
Two EVGA Nvidia Geforce 9600GT 512MB 256Bit in SLI
Two LITE-ON Sata Drives 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe
SLI Thermaltake toughpower 750W PS
NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX with 9 120mm fans and 2 80mm fans
Dual Boot with Windows 7 Beta and Windows XP

Solution:
I'm thinking that either Newegg sold me a lemon or Seagate is just not the best hard drive to run an OS on. Also thinking on re-formatting the Seagate 640GB and re partition it into 3 equal parts for Windows x64 Pro. Then transfer data from the Mator drive and reformat with no partion and
run Windows 7 on that drive so it can have 320GB all to itself. (Just realize that is more of an hassle than a solution lol)

Processor : 6.3
Memory : 6.3
Graphics : 7.9
Gaming Graphics : 5.9
Disk Transfer Rate : 3.0

Issue2:
Noticed that Windows 7 comes with Directx11 and I was like WOW at first, but Windows 7 locks up when I try to run Fallout 3. I know Fallout had crashing issues before, but I never experienced it on XP and didn't install any patches. Also I ran Burout Paradise on Widows 7 with minor graphic glitches every now and then, but it played better than expected. Want to try Sins of Solar Empire and City of Heroes, but thinking it will be a waste of time. Crysis would've been a great test subject to Win7, but I sold it last year for $25 on ebay. Thinking the battle between Directx9 games like Fallout 3 vs Directx10 Graphic Cards vs Directx11 Win7 vs BETA nvidia drivers 181.71 for x64 Win7 is the cause of this issue.
Solution:
None

Issue3:
Not really an issue, just that I am new to the BETA thing and was wondering what will happen to this OS when the final release is in stores. Will we able to continue running updates because MicroSoft issued out Product Keys through Windows Live signup. Like I said I am new to BEAT Testing and just do not want to waste time running it if we can not upgraded it to the soon to be release version.

Overall I rate this BETA Win7 a 3.0.....just kidding it's a solid 6.0 on their 1.0-7.9 scale. Just hope they continue to work on this and do not rush release it like they did with Vista. Please post any comment to my issues especially the 1st one and thank you all in advance.

bhalton26

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Thanks to Maziar Thread I have corrected the 3.0 Disk Issue and now my PC is rated as increased. Guess it would be best to leave Windows 7 on the new 640 Seagate since it is 32MB Cache. Other than having maxed out RAM is upgrading XP32 to XP64Pro worth the hassle?

New Test Results
Processor : 6.3
Memory : 6.3
Graphics : 7.9
Gaming Graphics : 5.9
Disk Transfer Rate : 6.0

techdeuce

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
You got a heavy duty system, it would only be worth it if the games run faster and crash less. Your fallout problems are probably due to the immaturity of the video driver.

bhalton26

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Thanks fellas but you have to admit that the core system itself runs smooth for a beta version. Guess my next question is what will happen to this beta version once the final copies are release. Will win7 beta be a dud or will be able to revert it through windows live updates?

If you play OpenGL games like City Of Heroes you may need to run in a window. There are still some issues with Full Screen + Open GL on both ATI(4870) and Nvidia(8800GTX) hardware. ATI had a beta driver that worked , but the colors where all off and super bright.

My hard drive score sucks too, but its just a single drive and runs fine.

bhalton26

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
I did not even try CoH, I only have the issue 1 copies and refuse to leave my PC on for 24hrs to auto update to issue 13 :O. Also I do not tend to be playing around with Win7 any longer since it will be useless on Aug 1st. I'm gettin too attached to win7-64 already and bouncing back and fourth between xp64pro and win7-64 just to run games is annoying. Wish we could keep the beta version and Microsoft would just prompt us through Windows Live to fully activate the offical Win7 and pay like $100.00 for the product key.

You can just copy the game from one machine to another. run the updater and bang ready to go. Oddly enough you have to run the CovUpdater to make it work right(the coh one tends to error the first time only), but after that, its good to go.

I have only installed that game once ever, i just copied it every other time and to others computers too. Guild Wars works near the same, start the install then as soon as you see a icon on the desktop, just stop the installer and copy it over(boy has GW gotten old).

I do not use Win7 as much as it runs pretty much the same as Vista64(i did quite a bit of testing), there are some nice features, but as you said, restarting for games gets to be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.