O2 X2 (BenQ S670C)

Hi, I'm new to this group. I am a current US Cingular customer with a
Nokia phone. Recently my wife and I went to Scotland, including some
remote islands, and wanting to be reachable by folks at home, bought an O2
X2 "pay-as-you-go" phone. We bought this model because it is tri-band and
we were told we could use it back here in the US. Apparently this phone
uses a SIM card for network information, so to use it with Cingular we
would need to get a SIM card from them. It is probably also "locked" to
the UK O2 network, so we will first need to find out how to unlock it.
Would appreciate any tips before I bring it to my Cingular dealer.
Thanks for any help.
1 answer Last reply
More about benq s670c

    "Stephen R. Troy" <stroy@toad.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm new to this group. I am a current US Cingular customer with a
    > Nokia phone. Recently my wife and I went to Scotland, including some
    > remote islands, and wanting to be reachable by folks at home, bought an O2
    > X2 "pay-as-you-go" phone. We bought this model because it is tri-band and
    > we were told we could use it back here in the US. Apparently this phone
    > uses a SIM card for network information, so to use it with Cingular we
    > would need to get a SIM card from them. It is probably also "locked" to
    > the UK O2 network, so we will first need to find out how to unlock it.
    > Would appreciate any tips before I bring it to my Cingular dealer.
    > Thanks for any help.

    You have a triband 900/1800/1900 MHz GSM phone like the Sony Ericsson T610,
    probably locked to O2. Cingular sells triband 800/1800/1900 MHz GSM phones
    like the Sony Ericsson T616, and quadband 800/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM phones
    like the Handspring Treo 600 unlocked (presently). Dualband phones like the
    Nokia 3595 operate on 800/1900 MHz, and are sold locked (presently).

    If you paid the full unsubsidized price for the phone (perhaps $225 to
    $300), and then bought the PAYG service--your phone should be unlocked. If
    you paid $50 to $100 for the phone alone, it's almost certainly locked.

    Since you now have your first SIM (from O2), your current Cingular phone is
    likely a TDMA model like the Nokia 5165. It works on the 800 or 1900 MHz
    band, depending on what license Cingular holds in your area. If your area
    uses 800 MHz, your O2 GSM phone won't work with Cingular there, even
    unlocked and with a Cingular SIM. A triband GSM phone with 1900 MHz will
    work throughout the T-Mobile system, which fulfills the saleman's claim of
    USA operation.

    Unlocking is possible. When I needed it last three years ago, I had to ship
    my phone off for the service.

    John C.

Cingular SIM Card Internet Service Providers