Question about OCing and how it reduces the lifespan on com

trunks512

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
In overclocking guides, i noticed that they mention risks and dangers of overclocking such as lower lifespan of components.

But is ther lower lifespan of components due to the extra generated heat? or because the processor works harder.

for example
i have a dual core 4200+
each for has 2.2 ghz frequench
and the idel is about 40C i believe
so let say i push it up to 2.6 each frequench but had a zalman cooler
and even with the OC its still at 40C

so technicall there is really more generated heat but the processor is working harder.

will this still reduce the life span of my processor?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
the temps may be the same, with a better cooler but the CPU is still producing more heat the HS is just getting rid of it faster therefore the extra heat kills the processor.

extra heat isnt really a concern for most overclockers since a overclockers rig only lasts at most 4 years cause we also like to be at the front of the technology which means upgrading our parts.

ive always overclocked my rigs and when i come to sell them i put them back to normal unless the buyer wants the higher clock speed, i always make sure they know its in good working order at that speed but it doesnt neccessarily mean its gonna stay like that forever.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I wanna get this straight, is it the voltage itself that damages the chip, or the great heat that is generated by the increase [/u]in voltage?

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
wouldn't it be over-current? i may be wrong, but as i see it the amount of power it produces should have nothing to do with it as power is only a measure of how much work the CPU is doing over time. but then again as said i'm randomly guessing

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
I agree with wusy here! Its the voltage that kills, Voltage is the "Pressure" or "strength" that the cpu is being forced fed to say, the extra heat generateted is the end result. Like anything add too much pressure and it will fail at some point!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Psssst, Chipdeath
I dunno, you kill one little graphics card through too much voltage, and you have to live with it forever.... :roll:

I blame FUGGER. I remember you said he told you to put 2.1V through yours. Why shouldn't I have thought 2V was relatively safe... :lol:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Not much, but it was only about £1 more or something equally ridiculous.

Like the board, aside from it autodetecting VDimm at 2.6V all the time, which makes it a PITA to get it to boot if you have to reset CMOS (which, obviously, I DO quite a lot...)

Nice board. Lots of BIOS options. The amount of timings to play with under DRAM config alone makes my old 9NDA3J look like a child's plaything.