Sign in with
Your question

PSU connection question for you smart guys

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2006 1:06:39 PM

I just got an Asus A8N32SLI motherboard and a OCZ Powerstream 600w PSU. My question is which plug do I use to connect to the mobo? The mobo has a 24 pin connector that they term EATXPWR plus a 4 Pin ATX 12v and a 4 Pin Ez-plug. The PSU has a 20+4 Pin connector they call EPS12V. Do I connect the total 24 Pin solution, or do I take off the extra 4 pins and connect just the 20 pin portion and use a 4 pin on the 4 pin connector. Thanks in advance.
January 16, 2006 1:09:32 PM

Use the 24 Pin connector on the mobo. You need to plug in the EPS12V also. Both the 24 pin connector and the 4 pin connector must be connected to the motherboard in order for it to operate.

The 24 pin connector should be on the top right of your motherboard (if it's mounted) and the 4 pin should be in the top left. This varies on motherboards but that's usual.

The 20+4 pin connector on the PSU just means you can take the 4 pins off to make it a 20 pin connecter which some motherboard use and when the 4 pin is connected to the 20 to make 24 which newer motherboards use.

If you didn't understand that just understand this. The power supply has a 24 pin connector and a 4 pin connecter. Both separate. One plugs into a 24 pin connector on the motherboard and the 4 pin connects to another plug on the motherboard.
January 16, 2006 1:14:17 PM

Gotcha, thanks. That is what I thought, but just wanted to make sure so I don't fry a couple K worth of goodies. My first build in a couple years, back then there was one connector and one type. Lol. Thanks, off to assemble.
!