TS Cleint Not Disconnecting After Ending T/S Session

Here's the situation:

We've got users that login via Terminal Services to run specific
applications on a member 2003 Terminal Server.

We've got the RDP shortcuts on the users' desktop pointed directly at the
application that they'll be running. (We've got several different
applications so as such, several different shortcuts - one for each app.)

The actual running of the applications is going fine. When the user exits
the application, the TS connection doesn't close as along with the
application. If you go into the TS Manager, the session shows as active and
will eventually show Active but Idle.

I realize I can setup a Group Policy to disconnect after being Active/Idle
for X number of minutes but would prefer to figure out the cause of the
session not ending (after closing the app) due to the fact that the users
will often be leaving the session open all day long but won't be at the
computer all day long.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

Check on the server, in Task manager, which processes are still
running in the session when the user has closed the application.

Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"Brian Alley" <NomoreSPAM> wrote on 01 jun 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

> Here's the situation:
>
> We've got users that login via Terminal Services to run specific
> applications on a member 2003 Terminal Server.
>
> We've got the RDP shortcuts on the users' desktop pointed
> directly at the application that they'll be running. (We've got
> several different applications so as such, several different
> shortcuts - one for each app.)
>
> The actual running of the applications is going fine. When the
> user exits the application, the TS connection doesn't close as
> along with the application. If you go into the TS Manager, the
> session shows as active and will eventually show Active but
> Idle.
>
> I realize I can setup a Group Policy to disconnect after being
> Active/Idle for X number of minutes but would prefer to figure
> out the cause of the session not ending (after closing the app)
> due to the fact that the users will often be leaving the session
> open all day long but won't be at the computer all day long.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Brian

The processes that remain open in the session after exit the app are as
follows:
csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
rdpclip.exe
ntvdm.exe

Also, the processes that remain open are the same regardless of the app that
is run.

Thanks,
Brian

"Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote in message
> Check on the server, in Task manager, which processes are still
> running in the session when the user has closed the application.

> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> "Brian Alley" <NomoreSPAM> wrote on 01 jun 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>
>> Here's the situation:
>>
>> We've got users that login via Terminal Services to run specific
>> applications on a member 2003 Terminal Server.
>>
>> We've got the RDP shortcuts on the users' desktop pointed
>> directly at the application that they'll be running. (We've got
>> several different applications so as such, several different
>> shortcuts - one for each app.)
>>
>> The actual running of the applications is going fine. When the
>> user exits the application, the TS connection doesn't close as
>> along with the application. If you go into the TS Manager, the
>> session shows as active and will eventually show Active but
>> Idle.
>>
>> I realize I can setup a Group Policy to disconnect after being
>> Active/Idle for X number of minutes but would prefer to figure
>> out the cause of the session not ending (after closing the app)
>> due to the fact that the users will often be leaving the session
>> open all day long but won't be at the computer all day long.
>>
>> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Brian

ntvdm.exe seems to be the culprit. Means that you have started a
16-bit application inside the session, and it hasn't closed.
You'll have to find out which application this is, and how it is
started.
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"Brian Alley" <NomoreSPAM> wrote on 02 jun 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

> The processes that remain open in the session after exit the app
> are as follows:
> csrss.exe
> winlogon.exe
> rdpclip.exe
> ntvdm.exe
>
> Also, the processes that remain open are the same regardless of
> the app that is run.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> Check on the server, in Task manager, which processes are still
>> running in the session when the user has closed the
>> application.

>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>>
>> "Brian Alley" <NomoreSPAM> wrote on 01 jun 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>>
>>> Here's the situation:
>>>
>>> We've got users that login via Terminal Services to run
>>> specific applications on a member 2003 Terminal Server.
>>>
>>> We've got the RDP shortcuts on the users' desktop pointed
>>> directly at the application that they'll be running. (We've
>>> got several different applications so as such, several
>>> different shortcuts - one for each app.)
>>>
>>> The actual running of the applications is going fine. When
>>> the user exits the application, the TS connection doesn't
>>> close as along with the application. If you go into the TS
>>> Manager, the session shows as active and will eventually show
>>> Active but Idle.
>>>
>>> I realize I can setup a Group Policy to disconnect after being
>>> Active/Idle for X number of minutes but would prefer to figure
>>> out the cause of the session not ending (after closing the
>>> app) due to the fact that the users will often be leaving the
>>> session open all day long but won't be at the computer all day
>>> long.
>>>
>>> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Brian

OK thanks. I think it's an old Fox Pro app that they're running - which
would explain the 16-bit. Does Terminal Server have problems with 16-bit
apps?

> ntvdm.exe seems to be the culprit. Means that you have started a
> 16-bit application inside the session, and it hasn't closed.
> You'll have to find out which application this is, and how it is
> started.
> Vera Noest
> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>
> "Brian Alley" <NomoreSPAM> wrote on 02 jun 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>
>> The processes that remain open in the session after exit the app
>> are as follows:
>> csrss.exe
>> winlogon.exe
>> rdpclip.exe
>> ntvdm.exe
>>
>> Also, the processes that remain open are the same regardless of
>> the app that is run.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>>
>> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
>> in message
>>> Check on the server, in Task manager, which processes are still
>>> running in the session when the user has closed the
>>> application.
>>>
>>> _________________________________________________________
>>> Vera Noest
>>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>>> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>>>
>>> "Brian Alley" <NomoreSPAM> wrote on 01 jun 2005 in
>>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

Well, when running 16-bit FoxPro applications on a 2003 server, you
are bound to experience some problems (it's been a while since 16-
bit FoxPro was a supported platform).

I can't check just now, but I seem to remember that we solved a
similar problem by starting the 16-bit FoxPro application from a
batch file:

start my_old_app.exe
exit

Check if that solves the problem. I also have a vague memory of
setting the application setting on the executable itself
(properties - compatibility).
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"Brian Alley" <NomoreSPAM> wrote on 04 jun 2005 in
microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:

> OK thanks. I think it's an old Fox Pro app that they're running
> - which would explain the 16-bit. Does Terminal Server have
> problems with 16-bit apps?
>

> "Vera Noest [MVP]" <vera.noest@remove-this.hem.utfors.se> wrote
> in message
>> ntvdm.exe seems to be the culprit. Means that you have started
>> a 16-bit application inside the session, and it hasn't closed.
>> You'll have to find out which application this is, and how it
>> is started.
>> Vera Noest
>> MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
>> http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT
>> ___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___
>>
>> "Brian Alley" <NomoreSPAM> wrote on 02 jun 2005 in
>> microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.client:
>>
>>> The processes that remain open in the session after exit the
>>> app are as follows:
>>> csrss.exe
>>> winlogon.exe
>>> rdpclip.exe